Top Shelf Aquatics

28g JBJ HQI Club....

MarvinsReef

i have the HQI, check out mine on my thread (in signature)

EDIT: Also, where did you put the fuge hoses and stuff? And did you upgrade the skimmer?

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any way to route the cord from a powerhead out of the jbj-display area with drilling or cutting? If not.. what is the best way to do it? Right now the cord just hangs out and there is a crack between the hood and the tank that light leaks out.. kind of annoying.

Thanks!

-Nerb

Is there any way to route the cord from a powerhead out of the jbj-display area with drilling or cutting? If not.. what is the best way to do it? Right now the cord just hangs out and there is a crack between the hood and the tank that light leaks out.. kind of annoying.

Thanks!

-Nerb

i just dremeled a small area on the back corner where the cords come out, simple and works well!

gothunder3022

Thanks!

-Nerb

My hood came with a hole cut on the rear right (as you face the display)...its big enough for the two nano Koralia cords I have in my display. My tank is from nanotuners...but I'm pretty sure this is a stock hole.

My hood came with a hole cut on the rear right (as you face the display)...its big enough for the two nano Koralia cords I have in my display. My tank is from nanotuners...but I'm pretty sure this is a stock hole.

thats great if it works. I think I know what hole you mean and not sure if it worked or not, try it out!

Freddybnj2004

Hey everyone... I have a question.. I have the 28g... I also have a 24 that I want to use as a sump/refug...

My question is I see a couple of different HOB Overflow boxes (which I would like to hang from the side)... Is there any one that's better than the other (ex. One comes with pump to keep suction) and or one I should stay away from?

Also... I have the standard MH light that comes standard.. I see everyone is upgrading to the Actinic lights... are they just for viewing pleasure?

And lastly... I am looking for a kit to raise my hood a couple of inches off the tank so I can fit the Overflow and the power cables from my tunze powerheads...

has anyone added a koralia 1 to there tank? how have you put the power cord into the tank. i don't see a spot to run the cord out the back where the overflow is?

Jason

Freddybnj2004
did u upgrade the skimmer?

If you're asking me... yes I have the Tunze 9002 skimmer..

I am trying to redo my plumbing.. and I have a stupid question... my chiller and the phosban reactors have fittings for the same size hose as the "No-spill" hose... I believe it's 5/8 ID... but I'm trying to hook that up to two exterior pumps... maxijet 1200's and there is no adapter that will fit that 5/8 id hose...

I tried two other pumps and they dont have the proper size fittings .. I went out and purchased 3/4 hose from home depot but now it fits on my pumps and not my chiller or reactors...ARGH!!!! HELP!!!!

has anyone added a koralia 1 to there tank? how have you put the power cord into the tank. i don't see a spot to run the cord out the back where the overflow is?

Jason

If you remove the hood, you will see at the back that there is a little notch of plastic that can be removed. The easiest way to remove it is with a dremel tool or a drill. You could probably cut it out with a box cutter also if you wanted to.

Hey Rick great looking cube!!!

I have a couple questions for you guys. I have a JBJ 28g HQI nano cube and I'm wanting to add a sump, approx. 10 gal or so in the cabinet stand. Basically just to add some water to the system.

1. How do you guys get the water from the aquarium to the sump. I'm not brave enough to try to drill an overflow hole in the glass on the back.

2. Also, what do you guys have in your sumps other than some extra live rock? What is this miracle mud stuff and does it work?

Thanks,

Joe

Very nice tank flipit13.

I would look at the macro behind your clowns very closely as it looks like bryopsis. If it is get rid of it ASAP. Nothing really eats it and it grows extremely fast.

I hope I am wrong.

i have no clue where that came from. it looks like a fern... how do you get rid of it?

Very nice tank flipit13.

I would look at the macro behind your clowns very closely as it looks like bryopsis. If it is get rid of it ASAP. Nothing really eats it and it grows extremely fast.

I hope I am wrong.

great now to figure out how to get it out. thanks for the info.... its strange cause its only growing on that rock hmmmmmmmm time for the chisle and hammer lol

cowboys2222222

I am thinking about getting an aquafuge with the skimmer built into it and i have a few questions..

is anyone else running this on their tank??

if so was it easy to install or was there some modification needed on the tank??

is it worth buying--did you notice any difference in your tank?

thanks in advance

gothunder3022
I am thinking about getting an aquafuge with the skimmer built into it and i have a few questions..

is anyone else running this on their tank??

if so was it easy to install or was there some modification needed on the tank??

is it worth buying--did you notice any difference in your tank?

thanks in advance

I can't speak to the built in protein skimmer (I run a Tunze 9002), but I have an Aquafuge2 (medium) attached to my 28g JBJ and it was pretty easy to hook up. the medium is about the same size as the small Aquafuge w/PS. They're both a tad wider than the display which some may not like. I didn't mod the tank at all, just had to rotate the supply and return pipes (with some minor plumbing additions) to make it work. It was worth it to me as a non-sump fuge solution. I've got pods all over my tank.

Here are some pics to give you an idea.

2md11rr.jpg

fdauxl.jpg

6risyd.jpg

1088flu.jpg

gothunder3022...i love it...exactly what i was planning to do with my tank! the one thing that has deterred me up to this point, is people keep telling me there could be issues with all that weight on the back of the tank. any concerns?

Thanks for your replies on the power cord holes!

I have one more question (there's always questions to ask!)

Does anyone upgrade the stock pumps? for a ~300gph pump it seems as though they lose a lot of their 'oomph' by the time they get through all the bends of the pipes. I placed a maxi-jet 1200 in the tank for the time being and the mj1200 works five times better alone than both of the jbj pumps - yet they are all rated around 300gph? sometimes if I mess around with the position of the jbj pumps they seem to work a little better. Is it possible I have it hooked up wrong? If so, could someone please point me to a possible online manual for the tank - mine was used and didn't come with one!

Thanks,

Nerb

So I said I would post some photos of my fuge mods so here they are:

Fuge area with diy 15w cfl bulb that grows cheato like crazy.

DSC00607.jpg

Media basket with the bottom two chambers cut off.

DSC00621.jpg

Top chamber with the sliding back glued on. I usualy keep Chemipure Elite and floss in it.

DSC00620.jpg

Plenty of space for rock rubble and cheato. Pod paradise.

DSC00615.jpg

DSC00612.jpg

Cheato in onion bag to keep it from floating away. makes it easy to manage eccess off the edges.

DSC00610.jpg

FTS just for fun.

DSC00623.jpg

wow, thanks patzer!

I really didn't realize the back wall of the filter was glass, thats pretty cool.

Makes lighting easy.

Looks like its' working well for you.

I do have one other question...

how do you keep the live rock rubble from being a dirt trap?

also I'm assuming you DONT have any sand back there, right?

Archived