SaltCritters.com

Neuwave's Edge of the Reef

neuwave

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Small update... But got a few more corals I need to photo.

c6319697.jpg

ebb59b12.jpg

Sneak Preview rimless tank.

Components:

no over flow box

no in tank pumps

1 sump

4 internal controllable speed pumps.

No visual wires

horizontal skimmer still in testing phase.

Etc etc...

b921fff5.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I just moved to a new place. I have moved the tank several tanks without a hitch. Besides some wet arms.

This time it went all wrong.

Once everything was packed up and ready to go, the tank was snug in the uhaul and secure. Came from macna the other day and it was a great reefing weekend. Then during the move it stared to downpour here in orlando florida and made eveything slippery and that much harder to move things. The first thing that had to be moved was the tank...screw my clothes, furniture, etc... tank comes first and foremost! While unloading the tanks from the truck the dolly got super slippery and my buddy grabbed the top of the tank to get a himself a grip and to hold onto the tank so it wouldn't fall off. Then SNAP, the bulkheads and the pvc just busted. At the same time the cabinet door swung open and got stuck under the main pipe of the return on my second tank I just set up a week ago. Ripped the piped completely out of the bulkhead and out of the sump. <_<

So I siliconed the pipping back on and hoped it would seal fast. I was praying anyway.

By morning all the fish and corals were in their buckets still happy and swimming around. The piping hadn't set and it still had a leak or two. After putting in a pump to keep the water circulating, the outlets went out during the day. Every outlet in that room was null and void. Unknown to me I had to leave for class at 8 am which lasted till 2:30 pm. Then to work from 3:30 till 10 pm. Barley slept (4 hours sleep total) in the past 48. I come home to the smell of rotten fish and such. Oxygen deprived it seemed.

After that I'm sure you get the picture....... :(

dead

- Half of my RBTA is rotten. ( I cut the rotten section in half and maybe if by some miracle the other half lives) I've had it for around 5 years I think, Its been that long, can barely remember when I got it.

cleaner shrimp ( years...old)

yuma

mushroom

1 bumblee shrimp

half of my red acan colony is rotted away.

half of a new green acro colony is completley bleached.

Both of of blueberry gogs are rotting

st thomas mushroom is still missing

one green plating monti

A 5 inch chalice I just got that I was trying to color up. unknown color but started to get orange eyes

THE WORST LOST OF ALL WERE MY FLAME ANGELS. ALL THREE ARE LIFELESS AND DEAD. :tears::tears:

I had been so excited after macna. Becasue I got to talk to the ORA guys and we discussed how to breed flames. We swapped an idea or two and I was all geared up to hopefully have some babies this year. I described their behavior morning, noon and night to see their advice on breeding the angels. One guy said they should breed very soon. Which got me pumped up to set some grow out tanks. All I could think about was how cool it would be to have baby flames flying around a grow out tank.

Anyway talking about it just depresses me even more.

445de6e6.jpg

f3a7ac26.jpg

PS...I'm not giving up. I I'm going to try again.

As for now the clowns that with heavy breathing have now relaxed alittle and are seemingly coming back to life. I did do an emergency water change with the remaining 5 or 6 gallons of water I had with me. Air pump on top as in the pic to help with breathing. Most of the dead flesh has been removed from some of the corals. Alittle carbon was added to help with water quality and all pumps are back on circulating the tank for now. Just the sump is still out of the question since the pipe still leaks. That's all for now I'll keep the updates coming as time moves forward. Barley keep my eyes open and haven't eaten in hours.

dayumm.. sorry about your lost. i know how you feel. just hold it together and try again! you be so much happy later on that you did.

good luck!

Thanks rehype and d'expresso. And your right I'm gonna try again. If I give up I'll regret it. So after work I'm gonna call my fish guy who I got the flames from and see what he has in stock. But I won't put the new angels in untill tank is back in order. The lfs around here is great about holding fish and even will hold the fish for a while if I ask. I trust them for quality fish.

• 4 months later...

Well the tank is back up in good health. A couple new corals under the LEDs. I want to see how the corals grow under LEDs. So this is just a little update. Sorry bout pics. iPhone pics

010aea65.jpg

c80c1c6c.jpg

c8ea9e17.jpg

174d1274.jpg

7cad4240.jpg

5a66eb70.jpg

Thanks. Maeda I'll get some more pics up later on. Trying to get good pics of my red spot cardinals but they are fast.

Borrow a faster lens. ;)

How long have you had the Red Spot Cardinalfish? I've had problems with mine. One out of five has survived since December 3rd. Feeding can be a problem, but the remaining one seems to be doing fine. :unsure:

How long have you had the Red Spot Cardinalfish? I've had problems with mine. One out of five has survived since December 3rd. Feeding can be a problem, but the remaining one seems to be doing fine. :unsure:

Everybody has this problem.

I think it's a matter of constant food supply and stress. I've been trying to keep these buggers for a couple years now, and it's difficult/impossible.

There's a few tips in my tank thread between myself, Uhuru, and DaveFason..

A couple of the original's went carpet surfing. I'm BIG on feeding. So I'm sure that helps, on the assumption that due to their active lifestyle makes me believe they have a faster metabolism. I do have two that have recently started to break away from the school sometimes with one hovering in mid water with a slightly larger one posting up right underneath the other. And the two just do that over and over late in the day. Breeding behavior? Which would be Awsome...lol

I've had them a couple of months now. They eat like crazy. And seem to be super healthy.

And here are a few extra corals I have.

This acro was bleachd out when I got it a month ago and still is coloring up. Green base with redish polyps. I'm really likin the crazy polyp extension.

b08ffeca.jpg

e8223550.jpg

Purple deaths

185d748e.jpg

Forgot the name but a something rainbow acro.

ea597c31.jpg

Just adding a vid for reference as behavior of these two red spots that break away from the pack and the slightly larger one swims just under the smaller one. Then follows it around and around. You can really see it around 37 secs. When one of the group swims too close while they swim together the larger one tends to chase the pack member away. Maybe it's nothing who knows. Sorry about the quality the vid; just on my phone.

Hey, just read about your loss in september :( That would be aweful.. I'm sorry :( Moving tanks is always such a daunting process.

I'm glad to see your tank is recovering :)

Thanks took a while before it got back up to health. But now it's running very nice just need to get my calcium up a tad. My corals are sucking it up like crazy. Thinking about getting a couple more red spots to add to the five. We'll see. Trying to focus mainly saving up for the bigger tank.

• 1 month later...

Well it's been a while since I posted anything about my tank so I grabbed the ole Iphone and snapped a couple of shots. Growth has been so/so but its my fault since I'm not keeping up with my Cal, mag and such. To many corals and they are sucking it up wayyyy tooo fast. Gotta dose ,dose and dose some more. The corals are craving morah! :lol:

b9ce2428.jpg

d441a092.jpg

As for the plate coral in the back it was only 50 cents. I found it in a live rock bin and noticed it still had flesh inside the skeleton. It's mouth was pulled apart and gaping. I like taking on the challenge of bringing corals back to life and this one is a fighter. It was a bin of dead rock at around 70 degrees and little flow. It looked dead. The flesh has now refilled in every gap of the skeleton and on the road to recovery. :happy:

Here's a pic of it recovering, I should have taken a pic of it when I first got it but you get the idea.

ac5845ba.jpg

450e603f.jpg

f9a37043.jpg

94f81b3c.jpg

533c9954.jpg

75c43bd2.jpg

9b9e108b.jpg

b151c0f4.jpg

Archived