Top Shelf Aquatics

Nanoty's 10g AGA [Contest tank]

nanoty

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tank is great...Great job you put it back together better than it started. Just started my own 10 gallon made it rimless because of your thread.

The tank is great...Great job you put it back together better than it started. Just started my own 10 gallon made it rimless because of your thread.

Very cool. It's awesome to know that this might have inspired someone. Do you have a link to your build? Thanks for the comments.

no not yet just starting the 10 gallon.. i have 14 gallon biocube that has been running for a little over a year. i made a lot of nooby mistakes with it but with alot of research on the forums i have been going in the right direction.

The 10 gallon is cycling.. used some live rock from the biocube and some sand from the local beach here in VA its black and white mix very clean. I was even thinking about using water from the bay instead of mixing my own saltwater kinda an experiment there is no live stock in the 10 gallon.. it just has live rock and sand and a current t5 fixture.

I make every noob mistake possible with my 12g nanocube. Thankfully my two current reef tanks are doing much better. It would be interesting to see if you could use local water. I wouldn't dare do that here on the upper Tx coast, lol. I finally bought an RO unit with the start of my last tank and it was the best investment so far.

yeah the wife is from a small town on the water its so nice a quite.. the 10 gallon has been up for three weeks. going to let it go for a little longer before i try any livestock. im going to test the bays water in every way i know how cal, alk, ph, amon, phos, nitrite and nitrate. Do you know of anyone using ocean water. and what salt do recommend.. i have been using red seas salt... the LF stores suck here. i have two fish in my biocube my maroon clown which is in my avatar and my orange spotted goby do you think i could get away with a pigmy angle in the biocube?

yeah the wife is from a small town on the water its so nice a quite.. the 10 gallon has been up for three weeks. going to let it go for a little longer before i try any livestock. im going to test the bays water in every way i know how cal, alk, ph, amon, phos, nitrite and nitrate. Do you know of anyone using ocean water. and what salt do recommend.. i have been using red seas salt... the LF stores suck here. i have two fish in my biocube my maroon clown which is in my avatar and my orange spotted goby do you think i could get away with a pigmy angle in the biocube?

I don't personally know anyone using natural water but I have heard of some people doing it. I am using Reef Crystals salt and it seems ok. Different people have different views about all the salts, I've used Kent and Tropic Marin also and all seem ok.

I wouldn't add an angel to a 14g, in fact, eventually your maroon is going to outgrow it. I've seen some pushing 5-6 inches before and when they get that big they get mean as hell.

yeah that is one of the great noob mistakes i made and i would have loved to pair the maroon but that will never happen it is to much of a risk to try.... the good thing is maybe when the clown gets bigger i will have to get a bigger tank.. i think i might start the 10 gallon thread soon... but im not sure what livestock (fish) i would like to put in it.

I love maroon clowns! When I get a bigger tank I would like a pair of maroons, even if they get nasty I still think they are some of the better looking clowns out there.

I love maroon clowns! When I get a bigger tank I would like a pair of maroons, even if they get nasty I still think they are some of the better looking clowns out there.

I agree, they are fantastic looking clowns. The first SW tank I had was an 11g with a maroon and a BTA (noob). I could not work in the tank without being relentlessly attacked by the clown. They are just super territorial.

• 2 weeks later...

Great build. I used to have a freshie derimmed 10g and always thought about cutting a few inches off, but I was worried that I wouldn't cut straight. Good job, and I really like the emersed rock, but one thing that bothers me is all of the extra space in the back. Why did you make the overflow so close to the front?

Great build. I used to have a freshie derimmed 10g and always thought about cutting a few inches off, but I was worried that I wouldn't cut straight. Good job, and I really like the emersed rock, but one thing that bothers me is all of the extra space in the back. Why did you make the overflow so close to the front?

Well it says in the thread somewhere but I don't want to dig it up. Originally I was going to drill the LR to go over the intake and return but it turned out a lot harder than I thought so I had to improvise. It bothers me how much room I have in the back too but I had to deal with it.

Well it says in the thread somewhere but I don't want to dig it up. Originally I was going to drill the LR to go over the intake and return but it turned out a lot harder than I thought so I had to improvise. It bothers me how much room I have in the back too but I had to deal with it.

aah, gotcha ;) It still looks great though :D

Final Contest Entry

Well it's finally been 6 months since I talked my wife into letting me start another tank. This thread documents the rollercoaster of my contest entry.

In the beginning there was some trouble with a little fellow named "Ike", as in Hurricane Ike. I was graciously allowed a few extra weeks to start my tank and took advantage of it. I started out wanting a simple, no nonsense tank with very little equipment but realizing that my tanks rarely turn out very well and I take horrible photos I decided that my only chance at actually winning a category was to shoot for most innovative.

I started with a plan of doing the tank rimless to be different and wanted to do it "Amano" style. I quickly realized it would be too tall to practically scape the way I wanted to I broke it down, had the glass cut and rebuilt the tank drilling the bottom for both the overflow and return. The plan was not to be able to see any equipment.

In the end the tank turned out well and I was happy with the size. I used LS that was laying around and dead rock that had been sitting in my garage for months. Most of the corals in the tank were bought from Lalani and she really came through for me. The rest were picked up at a LFS in La.

I've had a good time with this tank but it will be taken down after the contest is over to start a new project. Vote for me so my wife won't be pissed that I just spent 6 months spending money on and taking care of a tank for nothing. :P Thanks for looking.

Running total:

Tank: Free

Sump: Free

Heater: Generic <$15 = Free

Pump: MJ900 = $18

Light: 70w MH ballast and bulb = $90

Sand: Free

LR: Free

Ricordias: (2x) $40

Zoas-

Green w/orange centers: $10

Red skirt: $30

Pink center: $24

Other zoas: $33

Palys: $16

Leather: $5

Daisy Polyps: $7

GSP: $7

Cerith snails: 3x $6

Running total: $286

Money left: $14

10-26-09 (late start because of Hurricane Ike)

IMG_6716.jpg

11-17-09

IMG_6906.jpg

12-17-09

IMG_7122.jpg

1-17-09

IMG_7359.jpg

2-17-09

IMG_7567.jpg

3-17-09

IMG_7829.jpg

Randoms

IMG_7818.jpg

IMG_7816.jpg

IMG_7583.jpg

IMG_7579.jpg

IMG_7826.jpg

I want to say thanks to everyone who helped, stopped by, commented and good luck to everyone in the contest. I had a good time and there are a bunch of great looking tanks. Can't wait til the next one ;)

Archived