Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Review of Vortech MP20 Wavemaker Pump

KMitch

Mine's in my RSM, but I still have the 2 RSM powerheads going, with a Hydor Flow on one of them. I think the MP20 and the RSM pumps compliment each other in keeping the flow erratic. I thought about shutting down the 2 RSM pumps, but that might create a stagnant area in the back compartment, and I don't think that would be good to have. I suppose keeping one RSM pump going would keep that back area from getting stagnant.

I used to have my right pump on a hydor flow but removed it and put the pump toward the surface to help remove my film buildup and ended up using the hydor wavemaker and putting 2 hydors in (one on each side) with the wavemaker to move tha water around and it has worked real well. The battery backup along with this vortech seems like a better option to me especially if I put it on the right side glass with the two main ones the RSM comes with in the same position. I was going to get seperate battery backups for one of my pumps since I do experience a lot of power outages and thats when this pump got my attention.

Another question I have is when you do large water changes with the pump up top is there a way to turn it off for the water change without loosing any pre-settings.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a water change in the RSM yesterday and just left the Vortech running. I do about 4 gallons a week, and with the top of the Vortech mount 4.5" below the tank rim it didn't run the Vortech dry. I suppose if you do larger water changes you'd have to unplug the Vortech. I have a feeling you'd lose the settings by turning it off, but it's not difficult to reprogram. Maybe another Vortech owner can give some advice on this.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally joined the club today as I picked up a used MP20 that arrived this morning. Out came the 2 Koralia #1s and the Koralia Nano. In went the Vortech. I'm set of Reef Crest, full blast for the moment. I was a little worried for the 1st hour as my Duncan was whipping around like mad and I was stirring up some substrate. This is with the Vortech about 3" from the top of the tank and the tank is 24" high !! Like I read, this thing has some serious undertow. The Duncan hasn't retracted and neither has anything else so all seems OK with the new, much increased flow in the tank. I hope I did a good job securing my frags otherwise this thing is likely to suck them off the rocks.

I can also say I was horrified by the amount of c&%p that came off my rocks and substrate once it got going. I thought I did a pretty good job with the turkey baster on the rocks a couple of times a week but apparently not. The tank is just now clearing back up after 3 hours because of all of the crud it kicked up and hopefully out into the filter.

I also dropped 2 degrees in tank temp.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so I finally got another mp40w.

i have them running side by side.

the mp40 is vastly superior.

don't get me wrong, the mp20 is a great unit for smaller tanks, but it's grossly underpowered as a standalone in my 40.

I just setup a 22g Cadlights and have a MP20 in there. I really do like this pump. Right now I have it making a standing wave on short pulses (I'm debating between that one and the reef crest mode). I think these things are great.

• 11 months later...
Guest nanoreefchris

this pump is nothing short of amazing. The wavemaking abilities are more of a novelty than anything although it is really cool how it produces an eb and flow wave from corner to corner. I use it in just regular straight mode or reefcrest and the corals have opened their polyps almost twice as long as they were before. These modes are what the corals respond to the best, for me at least. Its quite amazing how the pump creates an undertow and sucks up all the sediment from the bottom and gets it to the top to be skimmed out.

I also love Night mode on this pump. Night mode reduces the power to 50% of what you had it set on during the day and it gives the corals a rest when they dont need all that flow like during daylight hours.

I was worried that it wouldnt be worth the money. Let me tell you, it is! If you want a healthier tank and can afford it, get one. :D

Wow - this thread just revived on the 1 year anniversary of the last post! I still love my MP20, and have the battery backup on the way to me.

• 4 months later...

I have had an MP20 for about a month now.I love it! I do have some issues with it though. Does anyone else have any issues about the build quality of the wave driver control box? I personally think for the price they could have at least made it out of some more substantial materials the buttons dont feel all that solid and the grade of plastic they used on the housing is not all that great. Its like a mixed bag on the motor end it looks and feels like a very high quality piece of equipment. and when you go to the other end of the cord it is like a completely different build quality. I am probably going to upgrade mine to the MP40 and get the newest wave driver it looks to be way better quality and it looks cooler too. I am not knocking how the thing operates one bit it is awesome and will be the only in tank circulation device i ever use from now on in a build. They are expensive but when it comes to taking care of potentially thousands of dollars of sensitive marine animals it is a small price to pay. If anyone at ecotech ever reads this, you have revolutionized the in tank circulation of an aquarium now you guys need to apply the same principals to the way you package the control of it and you will be golden. I have no problems with the folks at eco-tech I have dealt with them on the phone and through email and they have been very helpful in resolving the petty questions that I presented. Hopefully they stay the course and continue to improve on their product in the leaps and bounds that they have already shown us they can. I all respects if anyone is looking at these and cant decide buy it you will not be sorry. B)

Archived