Coral Vue Hydros

Review of Vortech MP20 Wavemaker Pump

KMitch

I just installed a MP20 last night in my Cad 22. I love this pump! I had 2 6025's alternating every 2 hours for random flow, and they took up to much room for my liking. As for the statement about the MP20 not putting out 2000gph, It totally does, but it's a way broader flow. This thing on high moves more water than both Tunzes (which combined was rated at 1320gph) The Tunze is a more focused water flow than the Vortech, so they tended to look like more flow, The Vortech moves the entire water column in the tank not just a portion.

As far as noise goes when the room is completely quiet you can here it, but with my comp on it drowns out the Vortech. I'd say it's about as loud as a comp fan.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Hazmat,

It's been a while and yes you know me I am still modding. :P Unfortunately, the Vortech will not fit as it is in the RSM. The dry side is too large. To accomodate the space needed I removed two of the outlets nearest to the top of the power center and then rewired everything. I can send some pics if you like. I didn't want the pump hanging off the side of the tank as it just didn't look very good IMO.

Reefmac,

To answer your question it's a piece of plastic tubing that went to an old shop vac that I had. The tube was tappered so I could select a section that fit the front of the pump perfectly. I then cut 2 pieces at an angle and glued them back together to make them curve. 2 small zip ties hold everything to the pump. I have not lost any flow and the direction is perfect across the top of the SPS I am keeping.

I looked at your pics. How did you remove the top 2 plugs? That seems like a lot of work but it sure would be worth it to be able to put it back there as an option!

Reefmack- where did you end up putting the pump in your tank?

Hazmat - these pics will answer your question :)

Took some pictures.

From the right side of the RSM. the Vortec motor on the outside of the tank:

Vortechright.jpg

Inside - the magnetically powered propeller housing:

VortechInside.jpg

Turbulence on surface during a maximum power pulse:

VortechTurbulence1.jpg

Another:

VortechTurbulence2.jpg

FTS showing a bit of waves on the surface:

FTS10_18_08.jpg

As an added benefit the maximum tank temperature seems to have dropped at least one degree without the heat from the Koralia motor being in the tank.

I've also noticed that the Vortech has a lot of undertow - it not only pushes a lot of water, it also pulls a lot in too, which is creating great flow all over the tank, even under the Vortech. VDub90 is correct - this thing moves the whole water column, not just a section of it!

As a side note, I would suggest going with the MP40W if you have a tank of 40g or larger. The MP20 does push a alot of water, but it pushes a VERY broad column of water, so don't expect outrageous amounts of flow in larger tanks. I can turn my MP20 up to about 80% in my 20L without creating what I feel is "too much" flow, so that to me means I will probably want more power for a 40br.

I will be upgrading my MP20 to a MP40W for my upcoming 4br setup (working on it now), and may even get a second one to put on the other end of the tank, and run in sync mode. (Yes, I like the design enough to spend over 800 on a 40br on these pumps. I'm not wealthy; they really just are that impressive.)

fyi,

I have a MP20 (NIB) available for sale as I need to upgrade to a MP40w. Asking $270. Thanks.

Stan

Why don't you just buy the MP40w upgrade. For 150 your MP20 is a MP40w.

Why don't you just buy the MP40w upgrade. For 150 your MP20 is a MP40w.

I can actually get the upgrade for cheaper but I already have a line on a MP40w that was used at a show last week for only 2 days. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I have a little update on mine. My MP20 would randomly power off. I called Ecotech and they said to send it in. It took them a day to replace some parts and send it back out to me. Fast repair service. I should receive it today to see if the issue has actually been resolved. I called him yesterday and asked him what they did to the pump and he said he replaced the bearings on the wet side with a newer version that resolves stall issues. He also replaced a ceramic piece on the dry side. I'm going to hold off on his excuse why a 2 month old vortech would need parts replaced until I get my pump back and see if the issue has actually been resolved.

They basically gave me a whole new unit. So the issue has been resolved. Fast service for sure.

As a side note, I would suggest going with the MP40W if you have a tank of 40g or larger. The MP20 does push a alot of water, but it pushes a VERY broad column of water, so don't expect outrageous amounts of flow in larger tanks. I can turn my MP20 up to about 80% in my 20L without creating what I feel is "too much" flow, so that to me means I will probably want more power for a 40br.

I will be upgrading my MP20 to a MP40W for my upcoming 4br setup (working on it now), and may even get a second one to put on the other end of the tank, and run in sync mode. (Yes, I like the design enough to spend over 800 on a 40br on these pumps. I'm not wealthy; they really just are that impressive.)

I have a 40 with the MP20. This statement would be true if the MP20 was the only form of water movement. If you have a return from a sump in my case its a mag5 split into 2 it is more than enough flow. I actually have to tone it down just a bit so that it doesn't kill some corals that are near it. Alot of people says its not enough flow because its in reef crest mode. Its suppose to be slow then fast just like in nature. It does get slow at times in this mode its just because its programed to do it. Also people are used to the constant flow pushed out by karalia's. It also depends on your placement of the pump and aquascape.

what would you guys recommend for a 28g JBJ? the MP20 or MP40? and why?

Thanks... I'm really considering getting one but dunno which is more suitable for my tank...

what would you guys recommend for a 28g JBJ? the MP20 or MP40? and why?

Thanks... I'm really considering getting one but dunno which is more suitable for my tank...

I can tell you how a MP20 works in this tank in about a month, just waiting for my tank to cycle.

Right now I have it in a Biocube 14 and its running at about 50% power in reef crest mode.

I have a 40 with the MP20. This statement would be true if the MP20 was the only form of water movement. If you have a return from a sump in my case its a mag5 split into 2 it is more than enough flow. I actually have to tone it down just a bit so that it doesn't kill some corals that are near it. Alot of people says its not enough flow because its in reef crest mode. Its suppose to be slow then fast just like in nature. It does get slow at times in this mode its just because its programed to do it. Also people are used to the constant flow pushed out by karalia's. It also depends on your placement of the pump and aquascape.

I have to agree. I've had my MP20 for a little while now and my corals seem to have ALL responded very well. My tank is packed with rock (atleast 70lbs) and although the flow is definitely not as strong on the opposite side of the tank that the vortech is on, it's still moves the water pretty well. But as Wawawang stated, the return pump may help a little. I run a QO2200 (probably 300gph output after head loss) split into 2 spray bars that run along the bottom of the tank. They don't create much "flow", but they do move the water a little behind the rocks. All in all, I'm happy with the MP20 in my 40g.

MarvinsReef - IMO the MP20 would be more than enough in a 28g JBJ. In my 34g RSM I don't run it at maximum and it still gives great current throughout the tank. It's a very broad flow, unlike other powerheads, and the maximum is adjustable, as well as having the programmable modes. You can leave it on one speed, but the other modes are much better for simulating a natural environment. I've even seen a noticeable positive effect on some corals opening more - quite evident with my duncans.

I can tell you how a MP20 works in this tank in about a month, just waiting for my tank to cycle.

Right now I have it in a Biocube 14 and its running at about 50% power in reef crest mode.

Thanks for the reply... so, the MP20 is doing just fine in your Biocube 14 right? so I'm guessing that the mp40 would be fine for the 28g also right?

MarvinsReef - IMO the MP20 would be more than enough in a 28g JBJ. In my 34g RSM I don't run it at maximum and it still gives great current throughout the tank. It's a very broad flow, unlike other powerheads, and the maximum is adjustable, as well as having the programmable modes. You can leave it on one speed, but the other modes are much better for simulating a natural environment. I've even seen a noticeable positive effect on some corals opening more - quite evident with my duncans.

I've seen both the MP20 and MP40 on 28g JBJ on YouTube... I might go ahead with the MP40 just so later on if I decide to upgrade, I'll already have the bigger one... :)

Thanks again for the replies... :)

And since Marine Depot currently has the most brilliant holiday message, using Vortechs, I may end up getting one.

"She gets a diamond, you get a VorTech. All is Well this holiday season". My wife has never shown this much enthusiasm for aquarium equipment. :P

Don't forget - if you don't want to dish out the higher price for the MP40, the MP20 can be upgraded later for about $100. The pump is the same - it's the remote controller that gets changed. But, if you think you'll go to a larger tank then save a few bucks and get the MP40.

Don't forget - if you don't want to dish out the higher price for the MP40, the MP20 can be upgraded later for about $100. The pump is the same - it's the remote controller that gets changed. But, if you think you'll go to a larger tank then save a few bucks and get the MP40.

Thanks... :)

Marvin, kmitch had the mp20 in the solana. I think its more than enough flow in a 28gal.

I'm currently in the process of working out a trade for a MP40... I'll keep you guys posted.... :)

How adjustable is the flow on the vortech? Is it possible to dial it way down (like to the point of where it could operate in a 12 gallon), and if so is there a minimum speed? Also does the speed adjust smoothly or in increments?

fyi,

I have a MP20 (NIB) available for sale as I need to upgrade to a MP40w. Asking $270. Thanks.

Stan

Do you still have it! Im interested.... :)

Check out the EcoTech Marine site for info. I haven't tried turning mine all the way down, but the MP20 is rated 500-2000 gph. With as broad a flow as these things have a minimum of 500 gph on the MP20 would probably be quite low concerning blowing anything around. I have mine close to the max of 2000 and the flow is great all over, without blowing anything around on the substrate. It depends on where you mount it - you don't want it pointed right at the corals. I have mine towards the front and about 5" below the top and it works fine there, and isn't blasting any of the corals on my rock. I think the MP40 is rated 1000-3200 gph, so I assume the minimum is 1000, but it's still a broad flow. It's a smooth speed adjustment - not graduated clicks. It's an AC plugin, but the motor is DC.

I am reading with great interest on all the reviews put forward by users. I have an opportunity to purchase a used mp40 at a really good price. However, i have only a jbj24gal nano with moderate stocking of sps. Do you all think i can use the mp40 without kicking up a storm? I would like to keep some LPS like the Frogspawn.

Another question is pertaining the stress that the waves might created on the tank .I am wondering if this will have detrimental effects in the long run.

Your advice is much appreciated.

for your 30 gal tank are you runninmg any other pumps.

I have a RSM with 2 Koralia 1's and a wavemaker setup which have worked out so well yet I also have a seachill chiller for the heat issues. I keep looking at this pump thinking wow I can redo everything and remove the 2 bulky Koralia's and turn off the main 2 pumps that came with the RSM and gain better water control and movement with just this 1 pump. Is anyone using this pump on a RSM exclusively as the main pump and turning off the original pumps or what do people think about this pump in a RSM?

Thanks for any feedback. I am always trying to create the perfect water motion in my RSM.

Mine's in my RSM, but I still have the 2 RSM powerheads going, with a Hydor Flow on one of them. I think the MP20 and the RSM pumps compliment each other in keeping the flow erratic. I thought about shutting down the 2 RSM pumps, but that might create a stagnant area in the back compartment, and I don't think that would be good to have. I suppose keeping one RSM pump going would keep that back area from getting stagnant.

Archived