Pod Your Reef

Review of Vortech MP20 Wavemaker Pump

KMitch

Just read this thread and i'm thinking this is a better alternative to a wavemaker that needs 2 pumps. One thing I'm still confused about - can the maximum flow be adjusted down, and still be able to take advantage of the other modes? I think that's what I understand from what's been said. Example - the reef crest mode could be run with the gph cut back to less than maximum? Thanks.

Yes. When you run in reef crest mode, for example, the dial controls how high the pump will cycle at its "peak", so to speak.

So, you can have it cycling between 0% and 100%, or 0% and 50%, or any value you want, really.

So, even though the pump can push 2k GPH, you can easily set it such that it never exceeds 900 GPH, for example.

Does that make sense?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way - I see thety make a foam cover for the inlets on the water side - think it's worth it? I saw one review where someone lost a small fish by being pulled into the intake section, and I have a skunk cleaner and clowns that like to hang around my existing Koralia. In fact, the shrimp often sits or hangs on my Koralia.

Hmm, mine didn't come with a foam cover. Odd.

It seems like a decent enough idea if you have really small fish like neon gobies and the like. However, I have three masked gobies in my tank with my Vortech (about the size of a neon goby) and they seem to understand that it is scary and not to go too close to it.

Maybe not all fish have the same amount of healthy fear of big scary pumps, however.

I sent a question to Ecotech and had a reply this morning - "If you are purchasing a new MP20, it will definitely come with the foam fish protector." I'm not sure if the foam only comes with the newest packaged MP20s or ? If I didn't have a skunk that practically lives on my Koralia, and 2 clowns that consider the Koralia home, I wouldn't even worry about it. I think I'm sold on getting one though - searching on best prices now. :)

Hi Reefmack!! Nice to see you again!!

Mine did not come with the foam. And you're talking about the front of the pump, correct? Nothing can get thru the sides and wouldn't the flow prevent anything from entering the front?

I do have a question for the group. Opinions as to optimum placement of the pump. I keep moving mine around because I can't decide where it functions best. Is it better towards the top, bottom? In front...farther back? I also use it on the blue mode. Gives a nice back and forth movement but it makes my finger leather brush against the mantle of my Maxima clam. So far the clam doesn't seem to mind.

So does anyone want to share? :grouphug:

Hi Hazmat! I didn't realize you had one of these. I just ordered one, and to be safe ordered a 3 pack of the foam covers. I think the covers go around the side, which I assume is where the flow is pulled in. I can see my cleaner shrimps legs or antennae being sucked into it since he loves to hang on my current Koralia.

Hi Hazmat,

Here's some picks of my Vortech with a custom flow nozzle I built. It's located in the right hand corner of my RSM. To fit the dry side of the pump I also customized the stock RSM power strip. The flow is great! I can turn mine all the way up using reef crest mode. :D

DSC04812.jpg

DSC04817.jpg

DSC04816.jpg

I have a little update on mine. My MP20 would randomly power off. I called Ecotech and they said to send it in. It took them a day to replace some parts and send it back out to me. Fast repair service. I should receive it today to see if the issue has actually been resolved. I called him yesterday and asked him what they did to the pump and he said he replaced the bearings on the wet side with a newer version that resolves stall issues. He also replaced a ceramic piece on the dry side. I'm going to hold off on his excuse why a 2 month old vortech would need parts replaced until I get my pump back and see if the issue has actually been resolved.

I have never had the stall issue but I had a whirring issue. For the first few weeks I couldn't stand how loud the pump was! What I found is you have to keep messing with the placement until you get the magnets to align perfectly and it drastically reduces the noise. This pump is much better than the Tunze 6055 it replaced. Also, I don't understand why the folks at Vortech don't offer a directional flow nozzle? It's an easy mod that would give many nano reefers more options for pump placement.

I have never had the stall issue but I had a whirring issue. For the first few weeks I couldn't stand how loud the pump was! What I found is you have to keep messing with the placement until you get the magnets to align perfectly and it drastically reduces the noise. This pump is much better than the Tunze 6055 it replaced. Also, I don't understand why the folks at Vortech don't offer a directional flow nozzle? It's an easy mod that would give many nano reefers more options for pump placement.

Hey!!! Lotsa friends here today!!

How did you mount that on the back...I want to know. That is where I had my Koralia 2 mounted but obviously doesn't have room for the pump. But I guess it does!!! Do tell!!! and I like your flow nozzle too. You and your mods! good job!

adamskit - in addition to hazmat's question, what did you use for that plastic piece - something available from Lowes or Home Depot? It looks like it's attached with some plastic cable ties? Nice!

Hi Hazmat,

It's been a while and yes you know me I am still modding. :P Unfortunately, the Vortech will not fit as it is in the RSM. The dry side is too large. To accomodate the space needed I removed two of the outlets nearest to the top of the power center and then rewired everything. I can send some pics if you like. I didn't want the pump hanging off the side of the tank as it just didn't look very good IMO.

Reefmac,

To answer your question it's a piece of plastic tubing that went to an old shop vac that I had. The tube was tappered so I could select a section that fit the front of the pump perfectly. I then cut 2 pieces at an angle and glued them back together to make them curve. 2 small zip ties hold everything to the pump. I have not lost any flow and the direction is perfect across the top of the SPS I am keeping.

I don't see why not?? :lol: Doesn't everyone sacrafice something of value to make their reef better? Honestly you might be able to use a piece of pvc or a fitting for the same purpouse.

jmigchelbrink

Can you post those pictures of the rewired power center? and the dry side of the pump? I'm really curious how you did that, it looks great.

Hi Hazmat,

It's been a while and yes you know me I am still modding. :P Unfortunately, the Vortech will not fit as it is in the RSM. The dry side is too large. To accomodate the space needed I removed two of the outlets nearest to the top of the power center and then rewired everything. I can send some pics if you like. I didn't want the pump hanging off the side of the tank as it just didn't look very good IMO.

Reefmac,

To answer your question it's a piece of plastic tubing that went to an old shop vac that I had. The tube was tappered so I could select a section that fit the front of the pump perfectly. I then cut 2 pieces at an angle and glued them back together to make them curve. 2 small zip ties hold everything to the pump. I have not lost any flow and the direction is perfect across the top of the SPS I am keeping.

i regret downgrading my MP40w to the new MP20

the MP20 is weak and the housing for the controller is poorly made. The cable between the controller and the motor pops out of the box.

no way the output is 2000 gph. i wouldn't use the mp20 on anything larger than 15g. I want my MP40 back!

MY OPINION.

Totally disagree with the robot on that one, It was more than enough for my solana. (although it is cube, so not much wider than a 15gal, and you are going to loose the most 'push' with width)

i regret downgrading my MP40w to the new MP20

the MP20 is weak and the housing for the controller is poorly made. The cable between the controller and the motor pops out of the box.

no way the output is 2000 gph. i wouldn't use the mp20 on anything larger than 15g. I want my MP40 back!

MY OPINION.

I'm setting up a new 75 gal cube and I heard the same thing about the mp20. I'm going with a MP40.

Here's photos of the dry side in my RSM with the modded power center. I have to say that the MP20 works great in my system and I have had no issues with it. My only complaint is you can hear a whirring sound.

DSC04820.jpg

DSC04821.jpg

DSC04825.jpg

adamskit - thanks. I don't think I'll go looking for a shop vac I can cut up though :) But, it gives me some ideas.

u can buy seprate pieces at lowes.

I just put my new VorTech MP20 in the RSM, and I am very impressed with it! I'll be doing more playing around with the different modes and settings later, but it's creating flow in every part of the tank. I have it on short pulse mode now, which creates an adjustable frequency between minimum and maximum speeds, and is creating wave action on the surface. As I've read in here, the flow is very broad, so even at a max of supposedly 2000 gph it isn't blowing things off the rocks. Does a great job of suspending detritis too, so it can be pulled into the filtration section. Along with putting the Vortech in, I also gave the tank a good razor scraping, replaced all of my chemical media, and remounted some corals, including attaching a Palau Nepthea frag I had been growing out on my frag rack. So, my corals were all a bit "upset" with all the tank maintence going on, and many of them are sliming a bit, but the new pump is doing a great job of removing the slime and keeping it suspended till it gets filtered out. I can no longer see any dead spots in the tank. The coralline encrusted Koralia has been retired! So far no negatives on the Vortech, and it's very quiet. Amazing what a single pump can do! :)

Archived