Top Shelf Aquatics

Review of Vortech MP20 Wavemaker Pump

KMitch

I recently purchased a Vortech MP20 Wavemaker pump, and after alot of the hype I'd seen, I thought I would give it a review.

I decided to buy the MP20 to go in my 34 gal solana tank for several reasons:

1. Unlike Tunze's etc, it does not require an external controller

2. The price is right

3. I'd seen some great reviews before

4. Great customer service

5. Pump is relatively small compared to Tunze's etc that would do the same thing.

6. Fully controllable, better than just timers and a few MJ's

7. The pump is external, so no heat exchange into the tank

IMG_7148.jpg

IMG_7149.jpg

IMG_7150.jpg

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7152.jpg

IMG_7154.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7157.jpg

For size comparison you can see it next to a thing of tape.

After receiving it I had a similar issue that I had seen other people have, the cords had pulled out of the controller and needed to be re-inserted. The instructions were very easy to read and the whole thing took about 20 mins to install, and thats because I played around awhile!

After installing I played with the various modes, finding I preferred reef crest mode (which is random and simulates reef conditions) until I made it into a continuous wave pattern, where you can see the waves moving the water back and forth. It's very cool seeing everything sway back and forth like it is right now. In just the last day I've seen better polyp extension than I've seen thus far from my SPS pieces. I also have found the temp in my tank dropped 2 degrees in the first day without all those Koralia's and MJ's making heat!

No complaints, its very quiet, very effective, probably one of the best purchases I've made in awhile! It's absolutely amazing how much stuff gets kicked up when you put in a new pump and it starts blowing around stuff you've never seen in the tank!

IMG_7159.jpg

IMG_7160.jpg

IMG_7162.jpg

IMG_7165.jpg

Video:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
strapingyunglad

how big of a wave do u get of that thing? my water level is allways pretty close to teh top of the tank and i would prefer that water didnt slosh out erwer.

Prior to installing the water level was pretty high, and it still is, but the wave height is adjustable so I found the sweet spot where I get the max wave yet still have ample clearance that no water sloshes out

strapingyunglad

thats cool but i just checked the price and its a little steep for me. ill be getting mainley soft and LPS coral so i realy dont need it any way. good product though.

Dude I am so glad someone bought this... I want one for my 40 breeder that i havent setup yet. I love the idea that i can create great water movenment/effects without heating the tank....

I have alot of sand though i am worried its going to blow it all around... what do you think?

Only thing that is getting blown around or got blown around was the detritus!

I think placement has alot to do with it- mine is just about 4 inches below water level

Did you have to adjust the part inside the aquarium a lot to find a "sweet spot" where it ran quietly or was that part pretty easy?

Very nice. :D You gotta admit though, $300 is a bit steep for a nano. You can't get any of the same options with one package though so I think it's restricted to those looking for that. You have to admit that multiple pumps are much cheaper although you just can't get those same effects. Very nice review. It definitely looks awesome in your tank.

I'd disagree Travis-- to get a pile of powerheads to do the same thing would cost you more! You loose space in the aquarium, heats the water (possibly requiring the use of a chiller), and requires good controllers which aren't cheap!

You can't make the same water motion this thing makes with just timers, you need a controller like the Tunze controller, which retails alone for almost as much as this whole kit. Plus it is compatible with Aquacontrollers, etc.

And no finding the spot where it sit right was very easy, you knew as soon as you moved too far away!

Nice review, I completely agree on all aspects ;)

In response to Travis/others its not only the 'control' capability that you get with the pump; it is ultra low watts & no heat in tank, the flow is VERY wide which is actually perfect for a nano, the entire tank receives flow suspending detritus you never new about hiding under your rockwork. In the furthest closed off corner of my tank you can watch everything sway in the same flow as if it was right in front of the pump.

As for the price, when you take into consideration how much quality pumps with the same capabilities cost it really is a great deal...

That's what I was trying to say. It is very expensive but you can't replicate it by using standard powerheads. Basically, you pay more to get less that is capable of more.

That's what I was trying to say. It is very expensive but you can't replicate it by using standard powerheads. Basically, you pay more to get less that is capable of more.

Not quite following the getting less that is capable of more? In what way are you getting less, do you mean less pumps?

I'll add also that I bought one of these but the cost didn't seem so bad as it is intended to greatly simplify my tank setup. No drilling extra holes for closed loop, no worries about a jammed SCWD, and as others have mentioned I don't have to put a bunch of extra powerheads in the tank. The cost doesn't seem so bad when you factor those things in (assuming you don't have an all in one tank).

very nice reivew. Can you measure and tell me how long/wide the wet and the dry side's are?

Specifications

Flow: 500-2000 gallons per hour

Power Consumption: 6-18 watts

Maximum Motor Temperature: 50-60 degrees Celsius

Aquarium Wall Thickness Range: 3/16”-3/4”

Appropriate Tank Size Range: 20-70 gallons

Dimensions: Wet Side- 3” diameter by 2.25” long, Dry Side- 3” diameter by 2.25” long

Clearance Needed Behind Aquarium: 3”

Dude I am so glad someone bought this... I want one for my 40 breeder that i havent setup yet. I love the idea that i can create great water movenment/effects without heating the tank....

I have alot of sand though i am worried its going to blow it all around... what do you think?

I have one in my 40 breeder and on full blast it will blow a little bit of sand around. I brought it down to 3/4 power on reef crest mode and it works perfect. I have greater polyp extention from my sps and plates.

Ours in is transit from Florida to Ontario, should arrive this week, either Monday or Tuesday, can't wait!!!

Thanks for the review and video. :)

I have one in my 40 breeder and on full blast it will blow a little bit of sand around. I brought it down to 3/4 power on reef crest mode and it works perfect. I have greater polyp extention from my sps and plates.

Great ! SOLD!

Archived