Coral Vue Hydros

28g Nano-Cube JBJ HQI

hppd432

Pics say a thousand words so here goes. I made the basket at first to slide in the mid chamber. Cost maybe $3.00. Got light, electric box and velcro from HD for around $18.00. Used dremel to allow light to fit then velcro electric box to rear of tank. Wired light inside box to keep it in position. Added Chaeto :-)

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

tarheel...what did you use to make the cheato basket??

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.what did you use to make the cheato basket??

First of all thanks for compliments.

The fuge basket was made out of craft material you can get from Hobby Lobby for about a dollar. Get about three sheets and some small zip ties. Measure the basket that comes with the tank and duplicate it.

It's easy to make.

Good luck with your tank, take your time and stay informed. My philosophy is keep it simple and have patience.

Jerry

Just love this ORA green birdnest coral wanted to show you guys a pick :-) This is just with actinics on.

IMG_2497.jpg

Top down pic and pearlberry acro pic

IMG_2477.jpg

IMG_2489.jpg

Hey i need to make a fish disappear without the kids knowing :-)

He keeps attacking anything on the sand that wants to clean it!!!!

The fish is a red spotted sand perch, kewl to watch and full of personality but he is a little terror!!!

Hey i need to make a fish disappear without the kids knowing :-)

He keeps attacking anything on the sand that wants to clean it!!!!

The fish is a red spotted sand perch, kewl to watch and full of personality but he is a little terror!!!

Tell the kids it went to live on a farm. ;)

Thanks Khayman. It's about two months old and it has grown like crazy :-)

Now Crazy Phil.... about the fish going to live on a farm :-) I think they are too smart for that. Maybe I could say it wanted to be traded for a coral :-)

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a few weeks now, just let the tank grow some. I did add a new coral that I wanted to show a pic. It is a ORA green encrusting Montipora. Here is a couple of pics. Let me know what u think.

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2637b.jpg

I am buying this tank in a few weeks (when I get my xmas bonus at work). I have absolutely NOTHING aquarium related at the moment (except for an RO/DI unit), but here are the things I am planning on buying with the tank:

JBJ 28 Galon Tank (obviously)

Test Kit

Refractometer

Sand

Salt

Live Rock

Heater

Cooling Fans

Turkey Baster

Gloves/Tongs

Cleaning Supplies

This will eventually be a reef tank, so can anyone think of any MUST HAVE items that I should get for this tank?

not a 100% must, but if your gonna medium or heavy stock it, a real protien skimmer

Cheap pump and heater for mixing saltwater for your water changes.

Buckets

You will probably need to add some pumps for more flow too.

Not a necessity when your first setting up though.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be buying the PC add-on for the HQI from nanotuners.

Are there any guides on how to turn the rear into a refugium? Does this require dremmeling or heavy modding? Other than the lights, I wan't planning on doing alot of mods to this thing.. but when I get it that will likely change quite quickly!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be buying the PC add-on for the HQI from nanotuners.

Are there any guides on how to turn the rear into a refugium? Does this require dremmeling or heavy modding? Other than the lights, I wan't planning on doing alot of mods to this thing.. but when I get it that will likely change quite quickly!

I just have Chaeto in the bottom of my middle chamber with submersible halogen lights that come on when my main lights go off.

So no modifications need to be made to the chamber for that? Thats good to hear!

Also, what is the cheapest/best protein skimmer to work with one of these tanks w/o mods?

So no modifications need to be made to the chamber for that? Thats good to hear!

Also, what is the cheapest/best protein skimmer to work with one of these tanks w/o mods?

Cytosol, slow down :-)

You want even need the skimmer until your cycle has finished and you do a water chage or two. I still use the stock skimmer and am pleased. Of course I also run afuge in mid chamber if you look earlier in this thread it shows how I did the fuge and it is working great!

Remember patience is golden in this hobby! Of course I want my clam :-) and Phoenix 14k MH bulb. Christmas :-)

I agree, for now all you need to fix with the tank is temp. It really is a good tank for only needing temp and skim adjustment to be perfect, and Id reccomend a korilia as well.

as far as temp goes all I needed was an Azoo fan to clip on back and blow across rear water chamber. I don't even use it now that the weather has cooled down. My tank stays at 77-78 degrees. Got an JBJ ATO when the fan was on it takes care of top off.

I am going to get an Azoo fan, but what type / how many Koralia pumps should I get for the JBJ28? I see there is a nano one, but am I better off with 2 of these or one of the larger ones?

So 2 of the 400GPH pumps are recommended then? As well as the pumps built into the system? That seems like alot of water flow to me, but I guess the more the better

2xgrandchampion

hppd432 you have a beautiful setup i will be following you as close as possible wit my setup here soon my tank should arrive wednesday. If you dont mind i will have a few questions for you as well. Keep up the good work

Archived