inTank Media Baskets

28g Nano-Cube JBJ HQI

hppd432

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hppd432 you have a beautiful setup i will be following you as close as possible wit my setup here soon my tank should arrive wednesday. If you dont mind i will have a few questions for you as well. Keep up the good work

Thanks an no problem!

I am going to get an Azoo fan, but what type / how many Koralia pumps should I get for the JBJ28? I see there is a nano one, but am I better off with 2 of these or one of the larger ones?

Cytosol, the two fan azoo works great and fits perfectly. I am using two nano in bottom of tank but replaced factory with MJ 900s. Wish i had went with MJ 1200s but hey live and learn. The nano korallias are awesome and no water temp issues with them. The 1 is def bigger and maybe too much flow if you have some corals on bottom that don't like a lot of flow. I have laso heard of people having bubble issues with too much flow in tank.

Hello, I purchased my 28G HQI back on 11/17 when I received it on 11/20 it had a 8 inch scratch on one side of it so i had to have Marine Depot send me a new one and set it up on 11/29. So from that point on I've had some life problems so all have done so far is a wet run. Currently my set up is completely stock. I have a 100w stealth and a digital thermometer. I'm now just getting everything straightened out financially (recovered from a fire in my apartment building) so I want to start setting things up and upgrading. So now getting to the point of my post, I want to start off by upgrading the stock pumps to MJ1200's. So what I'd like to know is has anyone done this? Is it necessary? One of my stock pumps sounds pretty loud compared to the other one so I just wanted to replace them. Any issues with the MJ's fitting in the back of the tank? Do you think it is necessary to make the swap? Any opinions or comments on this would be appreciated. Second, I don't think that my thermometer is working to well (Coralife Digital Thermometer), any recommendations on a digital one? I do not want to spend a arm and a leg because I'm thinking that I may get a ReefKeeper 2 in the future so nothing over $20 or so. How are the Rainbow Lifegard Thermometers? Once I get these new parts I'm going to proceed on getting the live sand and rock and stabilizing all my readings. If you have any pointers or information on this would be great as well. This is really my 1st reef tank and my first salt water tank (not including the one that was wrecked in the fire) so any advise would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Man it looks like you have become the new JBJ 28 gallon HQI go to man now, lol. Your tank has come a long way and it looks beautiful. I keep looking back at my JBJ and start missing it. Well I just thought I drop in and see how you were doin, good luck and keep the great work!

Pazzo, sorry it took so long to respond Christmas and work crazy :-)

I updated to the MJ 900 and they fit with no problem. If I was to do it over i would have gotten the 1200. The 900's work great but would have liked more flow. Necessary to make the swap?? Not really, I just trust the MJ's that when I come home they will be working. I use one of the stock pumps to circulate water change.

Always have a back up thermometer even a cheap mercury glass one will work just to compare same. Reefkeeper 2 that is what I want for Christmas!!!

As far as cycling, I used only live rock and live sand and used salt water from LFS that I trusted. Tank cycled in I think 2-3 weeks. I think I have about 25lbs of live rock and I purchased it at LFS so I could imagine in my mind what I wanted my landscape to look like.

Advice..... Go slow enjoy and be picky about what corals and fish you put in your tank!!!!!

Hope this helps!

[

Man it looks like you have become the new JBJ 28 gallon HQI go to man now, lol. Your tank has come a long way and it looks beautiful. I keep looking back at my JBJ and start missing it. Well I just thought I drop in and see how you were doin, good luck and keep the great work!

Hey man! Thanks for comp on tank. Still have a long way to go. Go to man, too funny just try to help when I can. Have u got your new tank started yet?

Hppd432, thanks for your input, it's really appreciated. Yeah I'm really picky about how loud my pumps sound, I can only imagine how bad it will be with the stuff inside :lol:. Anyways thanks again, I will be heading out the the LFS today to get live sand, rock, and water.

Hppd432 where did you get the two fan azoo from? How is it loud while it's on. I want to try and keep my temperature no higher then 79. So far my temperature was down to 75, that's what i had my heater set to so my thermometers both read that. So that's a good thing. But how hot it gets with my light on is going to determine my next move. I'm running the light for 7 hours and i will see what it gets up to tonight. I will not be adding anything for at least a week. I bought cured live rock from a LFS and pre-mixed salt water from another LFS and last time I didn't even wait a week before adding the CUC. But i was wondering how the fan works for you, how loud it is and does it keep your temp down. It's about 10 degrees outside today and 76 in the house but I'm worried how hot it will get in the summer since it gets up to 80 now. Also how much of a fluctuation is ok 1 to 2 degrees? Currently i have 2 MJ1200s running on the stock wave maker, would you still reccommend 1 or 2 of the nano korallias 240GPH?

Pazoo, I got the Azoo from Dr Foster. The fan works great. Not loud at all. I am not even using it since the weather has turned cooler here in NC. I ahve been lucky with the temp in my tank staying within .5 deg with just the heater and the fan in the summer.

The two mj1200's that is one thing I wish I had done bseides the 900. I would still use two nano korallias lower in the tank, the top has precut tabs in it that are easy to dremmel out for the korallias cord.

If I was rich I would get VorTech MP20, 3" dia x 5" $295.99 from Dr. Fosters :-)

Good luck with everything!!!!

I have new pics coming the corals are growing like crazy. I want to show pics of each coral for the 3 month period and 2 month period.

Hey just wanted to update some pics showing coral growth in JBJ 28g HQI nano cube. This is showing 2-3 month growth for each coral.

I will show 1st pic then now pic. Using stock light and stock skimmer still.

10232008.jpg

IMG_2932.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_2858.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

IMG_1617b.jpg

IMG_3007.jpg

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

Today switched out stock MH for Phoenix 14k wow what a difference!!!!!

I was going to wait until 6 months but now I am glad I didn't :-)

Will add pics later. Corals pop water is bluer looks like a reef wow!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Just a silly question, hppd432: what did you use to stick the rocks together in your aquascape?

Sam I used Reef Epoxy it works really well on rocks not so much on corals.

New 2009 Pics changed somethings around added an Acan in middle and Acan brain?? Oh yeah a aquaculture crocea clam came in my Christmas stocking :-) I started her on the sand but moved her up on the rocks seems very happy there. Got rid of the red spotted perch / killer fish after catching him with the head of another fish in his mouth. Now I need a good peaceful fish for my reef :-) any ideas?

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3436.jpg

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3454.jpg

IMG_3383.jpg

IMG_3385.jpg

To answer PM's I have been getting. The only thing I dose is Cbalance and Fuel. Of course my wife says I take more pictures of my tank than the kids. I keep telling her the tank is only a baby and the kids are 8 and 11 :-)

Thanks for compliments. The Phoenix 14k 150W light definitely helps. I still use the upgrade actinics for dusk to dawn and for extra light but probably don't need it. Pictures still don't do the tank justice. Wish I had a better camera.

Today switched out stock MH for Phoenix 14k wow what a difference!!!!!

I was going to wait until 6 months but now I am glad I didn't :-)

Will add pics later. Corals pop water is bluer looks like a reef wow!!!

You know what the previous "temperature" of the stock MH was?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived