Coral Vue Hydros

28g Nano-Cube JBJ HQI

hppd432

Ok, it has been awhile since I have been in the reef world. I lost my two reef tanks to a bad ice storm in NC 6 years ago. Got the itch again and wanted to start off small with a 28g Nano-Cube after doing a lot of research. Purchased it last night with 25lbs cured live rock, 40lbs Araga live Figi Pink (only used 20 ) Purchased premixed RO water and came home to get started. Oops I also purchased the new stand which is nice but a pain in the - - - - to put together. Got the stand together after going online and getting decent instructions. Set up the tank and realized the ballast was missing. It was too late to go back to the fish store so I left the live rock in it's packaging and went to bed pissed.

Woke up this morning went to work waited for the LFS to open then called them and heard oops were sorry we forgot to pack it with your stuff. Anyway got it came home at lunch and went to work. Hooked up ballast, pumps, etc. Took ceramic rings out of back and started with the water. Then added the liverock then the Araga Live sand and realized I only need one bag. Tank is clearing up quickly and looks pretty good.

My question was for it to cycle what should I do? I know to move slow and I am but I have read that my tank might not cycle at all if the live rock was already cured.

Getting ready to order, heater and test kits also probably a refractor. I have no ideal why I brought that plastic hydrometer ( maybe I will take it back since I didn't open it ) Probably going to add at leat one small pump near bottom of tank. Love the wave maker and lights. I know I will probably deal with a heat issue later but I have a plan for that. Any ideas about the cycling and what else I might need. First time ever with a Nano tank. Thanks for input.

Some more pics of setup :D

More pics

post-37961-1217361928_thumb.jpg

post-37961-1217362012_thumb.jpg

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking good. toss in a cocktail shrimp for some ammonia and start your cycle. did you remove the ceramic rings and the bio balls?

Any input from anyone????

New pic with moon lights on...

What do you think about the rock work???

Nice rockwork! I also have a JBJ nano 28g. I started it about 5 weeks ago. I don't know what the "right" way is, but I was always told to throw in a few cheap fish to start the cycling. I put in 4 chromis and boy have they grown in 3 weeks. My husband's 115g tank has 4 chromis and I don't they seem to have grown a bit in 3 months. Anyway, the tank got a bit of brown junk covering everything, but it's cleared up now. I have 8 small hermit crabs and 8 snails (don't know what kind, but about 1/2" across). Oops, also an emerald crab. They are all doing fine. The chromis are going to be added to the larger tank when I'm ready to add my "real" fish. Why did you take out the ceramic rings? I was told they can be left in. I also found that the water runs a bit too warm with the halides on. I also added a Euro chiller 1/13 HP (husband's in the process of installing as I write). I, too, will welcome any comments, insights, or warnings of pitfalls if anyone has any out there. The nano is my tank and I'm kinda new to salwater, but I have been reading a lot! There is so much to learn!

looking good. toss in a cocktail shrimp for some ammonia and start your cycle. did you remove the ceramic rings and the bio balls?

Yes got rid of that.... Cocktail shrimp???? I have read something about that along time ago have never tried it.. Love to eat them though :-)

Nice rockwork! I also have a JBJ nano 28g. I started it about 5 weeks ago. I don't know what the "right" way is, but I was always told to throw in a few cheap fish to start the cycling. I put in 4 chromis and boy have they grown in 3 weeks. My husband's 115g tank has 4 chromis and I don't they seem to have grown a bit in 3 months. Anyway, the tank got a bit of brown junk covering everything, but it's cleared up now. I have 8 small hermit crabs and 8 snails (don't know what kind, but about 1/2" across). Oops, also an emerald crab. They are all doing fine. The chromis are going to be added to the larger tank when I'm ready to add my "real" fish. Why did you take out the ceramic rings? I was told they can be left in. I also found that the water runs a bit too warm with the halides on. I also added a Euro chiller 1/13 HP (husband's in the process of installing as I write). I, too, will welcome any comments, insights, or warnings of pitfalls if anyone has any out there. The nano is my tank and I'm kinda new to salwater, but I have been reading a lot! There is so much to learn!

Thanks, I was wondering about the heat... My house stays about 75 and so far the tank is holding around 78 and that is with the lid all the way down and the outside temp is 95. I would hate to spend the money on the chiller but if need be. Where did you get yours and how $ if u don't mind me asking?

Removed the ceramic rings because with the live rock you don't need it and will be needing that space later on. Thanks again for your input. Oh yeah did the rock work look ok?

Ceramic rings are added to give good bacteria surface room to grow and help break down nitrates. If you have enough rock then the rings and balls are worthless. Also rings and bio balls can trap solid waste or uneaten food and it collects back there and rots causing high nitrates.

I've never been a fan of using fish to cycle a tank or using the shrimp method. Just put the rock in there and the dieoff from that will give your your ammonia spike and start the cycle. If the rock is fully cured you might not have a long cycle but still wait until the diatoms hit before getting a clean up crew.

When you said the rock was left overnight was it left in water?

Ceramic rings are added to give good bacteria surface room to grow and help break down nitrates. If you have enough rock then the rings and balls are worthless. Also rings and bio balls can trap solid waste or uneaten food and it collects back there and rots causing high nitrates.

I've never been a fan of using fish to cycle a tank or using the shrimp method. Just put the rock in there and the dieoff from that will give your your ammonia spike and start the cycle. If the rock is fully cured you might not have a long cycle but still wait until the diatoms hit before getting a clean up crew.

When you said the rock was left overnight was it left in water?

Yes kept it in the wet paper from LFS it was still wet this morning when I finally got the ballast that the LFS forgot to pack.

How do you think the rock work looks?

Rockwork looks good.

Your going to have some dieoff on that rock. Wet paper is how rock is shipped and while it's a good method leaving it overnight killed off some of the bacteria.

Leave the rock in there and let it cycle, it will do it without anything else (shrimp, fish)...

Rockwork looks good.

Your going to have some dieoff on that rock. Wet paper is how rock is shipped and while it's a good method leaving it overnight killed off some of the bacteria.

Leave the rock in there and let it cycle, it will do it without anything else (shrimp, fish)...

Thanks,

How long leaving the HQI on ??? 8 hours was what I was thinking. Is that about right for now or 10?

Any online store you recommend for heater, test kits, refractometer, etc??? $$$$$$

post-37961-1217387086_thumb.jpg

Right now I would do around 7 tops. You could do a lightless cycle but I tried that with my JBJ 28 HQI and while it works once you get the light going the diatoms come after that. Better to get some light on things and get the diatoms quicker and get rid of them quicker.

Shop around for the best price on stuff. There are really only 3 places I shop, Dr. Foster & Smith (Good for salt as they have the cheapest shipping), Premium Aquatics and Aquacave. Aquacave has a 5% off coupon, when checking out type in the code RC5 and it takes off 5% plus they have free shipping if you spend enough.

Thanks, I was wondering about the heat... My house stays about 75 and so far the tank is holding around 78 and that is with the lid all the way down and the outside temp is 95. I would hate to spend the money on the chiller but if need be. Where did you get yours and how $ if u don't mind me asking?

Removed the ceramic rings because with the live rock you don't need it and will be needing that space later on. Thanks again for your input. Oh yeah did the rock work look ok?

I posted elsewhere, but if you don't see it...I bought the chiller from JBJ. They discontinued the Arctica line and have a "Euro" line. I got the 1/13 HP. I checked around and found the $299.99 price to be pretty good. The instructions didn't help much, there's not much room to install the lines in the nano. I talked to LFS for help. I ended up getting an installation kit (it was the Arctica brand $19) and an external pump (Eheim 317 GPH--about $115). All I had to do, once together, is drop the two hose ends in the two outside chambers on the tank back. Chillers seem to be a big expense considering what was spent on the tank, but I had to do it and I'm happy with it (so are the fish).

Two questions: What's "enough rock"? I have 28 pounds in a 28g. And, why will I be "needing the space later" where the ceramic rings are? For what? (OK, that's 3)

Right now I would do around 7 tops. You could do a lightless cycle but I tried that with my JBJ 28 HQI and while it works once you get the light going the diatoms come after that. Better to get some light on things and get the diatoms quicker and get rid of them quicker.

Shop around for the best price on stuff. There are really only 3 places I shop, Dr. Foster & Smith (Good for salt as they have the cheapest shipping), Premium Aquatics and Aquacave. Aquacave has a 5% off coupon, when checking out type in the code RC5 and it takes off 5% plus they have free shipping if you spend enough.

Thanks, are you running a chiller? If not any heat issues?

What aboutthe moon lights, I just like them on for a3 hours a night just for the looks if you know what I mean.

I posted elsewhere, but if you don't see it...I bought the chiller from JBJ. They discontinued the Arctica line and have a "Euro" line. I got the 1/13 HP. I checked around and found the $299.99 price to be pretty good. The instructions didn't help much, there's not much room to install the lines in the nano. I talked to LFS for help. I ended up getting an installation kit (it was the Arctica brand $19) and an external pump (Eheim 317 GPH--about $115). All I had to do, once together, is drop the two hose ends in the two outside chambers on the tank back. Chillers seem to be a big expense considering what was spent on the tank, but I had to do it and I'm happy with it (so are the fish).

Two questions: What's "enough rock"? I have 28 pounds in a 28g. And, why will I be "needing the space later" where the ceramic rings are? For what? (OK, that's 3)

Rock is just right by what I have been hearing. Anywhere from 25-30lbs. The rule used to be 1lb per gallon.

Space later " " is for a bigger skimmer or a refugium, not sure yet :-)

Todays pic.....

post-37961-1217456840_thumb.jpg

Thanks, are you running a chiller? If not any heat issues?

What aboutthe moon lights, I just like them on for a3 hours a night just for the looks if you know what I mean.

Rock is just right by what I have been hearing. Anywhere from 25-30lbs. The rule used to be 1lb per gallon.

Space later " " is for a bigger skimmer or a refugium, not sure yet :-)

Todays pic.....

Thanks! I feel better. And to an earlier post above, my 28g was running 82-83 degrees! And that's was with the halides on about 7-8 hours and the "door" or top open (not the whole lid). I was concerned about an algae problem and killing the fish. I prefer sushi to cooked fish - teehee!

Dont throw table shrimp in there... the die off from your live rock will be enough to start your cycle.

That is what I heard also. Maybe take a bit longer but I will be patient with this tank if it kills me :-)

Ok, it is Thursday morning, tank still makes me smile. Now if I could get some ideas on how to do a refugium in the back part of the tank where the filer media is now????

Thanks! I feel better. And to an earlier post above, my 28g was running 82-83 degrees! And that's was with the halides on about 7-8 hours and the "door" or top open (not the whole lid). I was concerned about an algae problem and killing the fish. I prefer sushi to cooked fish - teehee!

Dito on the sushi as long as it in not floating in my tank :-)

• 2 weeks later...

B) New pics and only one question this time :-) I added two Koralia nano pumps and diatom bloom has ended and things are looking good. I did move my rock work around a little. Tank fully cycled :-)

When I checked salinity it was .28 yikes. Now I need to do a water change and also bring down the salinity.

Any ideas????

Here is updated photo.

Oops make that two questions? Has anyone on here tried the Aptasi - X from Red Sea? I have about 4 or 5 small ones I want to get rid of before any stocking of tank..

another pic

another pic

another pic

post-37961-1218226366_thumb.jpg

post-37961-1218226484_thumb.jpg

post-37961-1218226527_thumb.jpg

post-37961-1218226578_thumb.jpg

Aliasnumber1

I used a cup of boiling water and sprayed the apastia with a turkey baster, killed some coraline but apastia died fairly easily. What do you use to check your salinity? Hydrometer still or refractometer?

I used a cup of boiling water and sprayed the apastia with a turkey baster, killed some coraline but apastia died fairly easily. What do you use to check your salinity? Hydrometer still or refractometer?

Got the aiptasi-x today and it worked awesome. Will let you know if they come back but I don't think so :-)

I am using both and today after a water change from salt to RO after a few hours got the salinity down to .24 and that was where I wanted it :-)

Checking all other params as we speak, so far great!!!!

If everything checks out tomorrow I will do a water change and recheck some time this week then it will be time to add something that has some color :-) just don't know what yet.

Any ideas?????

I had a question about the tank. I just got the same one but have not added any water or anything yet. As far as lighting goes, is the only way to turn off the moonlights by unplugging the power LED? Dont see any switches...Should moonlight be ran in conjunction with Halide lights? Also same goes for the wave maker and skimmer, only on/off by unplugging the power?

I had a question about the tank. I just got the same one but have not added any water or anything yet. As far as lighting goes, is the only way to turn off the moonlights by unplugging the power LED? Dont see any switches...Should moonlight be ran in conjunction with Halide lights? Also same goes for the wave maker and skimmer, only on/off by unplugging the power?

First of all I love this tank!

I have my tank set up on two timers. One for the halide from 1pm-8pm at 8pm they go off and the moonlights come on until 11pm. I have had no heat issues at all :-)

The wavemaker right now is on all the time I plugged both stock pumps into it and have them on every 20 seconds. I have not even turned the skimmer on yet because I was cycling so just leave it off until the cycle is over and you have some creatures to cause a bioload that require a skimmer.

I have not even hooked up a heater yet. The temp is staying between 78-81. I have an elctroni temp that tells me the coldest and hottest times of the tank.

I also added two nano powerheads Koralia that I got from Dr. Fosters in the bottom part of the tank.

I hope this helps and remember be patient!!!!!

hmm i was thinkin about breaking my lighting times into 4 hours on, 4 hours off, 4 hours on then maybe moon lighting later...you guys think this would be an issue? Better just to leave on for 8 hours straight?

Archived