SaltCritters.com

28g Nano-Cube JBJ HQI

hppd432

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey i really like your rockwork/ recent coral additions; and your responses are all clear and to the point... very informative forum to tag along to! i just got my 28g hqi yesterday and have a few questions for you: what are you currently running in the mechanical filter chamber and where did you get it? also, do you know of any good online sources to get the live rock or did you just go to your lfs? marinedepot.com has a deal on fiji but it's uncured and i've heard mixed reviews on uncured rock. thanks for any response

hey i really like your rockwork/ recent coral additions; and your responses are all clear and to the point... very informative forum to tag along to! i just got my 28g hqi yesterday and have a few questions for you: what are you currently running in the mechanical filter chamber and where did you get it? also, do you know of any good online sources to get the live rock or did you just go to your lfs? marinedepot.com has a deal on fiji but it's uncured and i've heard mixed reviews on uncured rock. thanks for any response

Thanks for the compliments!

Now in response to your questions.

I got rid of everything in the mid chamber ( Charcoal and bio rings ) I am now using chemi pure in the bottom and filter fiber on top. It has worked really well. All params have been great. Just started dosing CBalance and Aquavitro Fuel.

Live rock I purchased from a LFS. It was expensive but now worth the money. It was cured liverock and using the LFS salt water with the liverock and live sand ( in a bag pink figi aragalive I think) the tank cycled in two weeks.

Now I am finding all kinds of things that lived through the cycle and it is awesome. My 8 year old son finds stuff all the time :-)

This past Tuesday installed the actinics from nano customs. Best $69.00 I have spent on the tank so far. It was fairly easy to install and took less than an hour.

Hope this helps!!!

I will tell you I am planning on to change the mid chamber into a fuge in the next month. I have also had no issues with heat except the one time the heater got stuck!!! Now I am not even using a heater and temp has been staying between 78 and 80.1

Here is updated pic. Thank is 1month and 2 weeks old :-)

IMG_1792.jpg

that's an awesome new pic. i took your advice and decided to do 15 lbs of cured rock through mail (fiji- it was a decent price) which comes next week but put in 15 lbs today from the lfs. i definitely took your rockwork as inspiration for the shape so far.

i'll be keepin an eye on your posts to see how the fuge works out for you, also the actinic mod sounds really tempting but according to my digi-max themometer the tank is 83 w/o the hallides on at night?! it's right around the same temp. when i was running the hallides for four hours yesterday and the temp in the apt. stays at 79. i am hoping the thermometer is inaccurate!

well best of luck and keep posting i really have enjoyed it so far!

Just kidding about the clam that will be in about 6 months.

Still debating on Reefkeeper II or Aqua Jr.

My biggest problem is heater getting stuck twice heating up tank. I wish there was something cheaper to handle this issue. I have everything else on timers and new ATO and replacing stock pumps tomorrow with Maxi jet 900s and adding Azoo fan. Tank still is staying around 80 degrees but with winter getting here I am going to have to plug back in the heater which scares me without a controller.

I would pick up a new one. I like visa-therm heaters. Nice tank!

This is a new one, guess I will have to contact Marine depot and see what they will do. Even so I still think I will get some kind of controller because all it takes is the thermostat to get stuck. Now which one or is there something else out there that is cheaper just in case heater over heats to shut it off.....

great tank. So you think the actinics are worth it?

First, thanks for the compliment.

I really like the actinics for sunrise sunset affect. The corals just pop and pics don't do it justice. They were easy to install and I think 65$ from nanocustoms. It seems that the sps corals have really started to grow quicker. Of course I could be imagining that but when i went back to earlier pics they definitely have grown more since adding actinics.

http://i475.photobucket.com/albums/rr113/h...QI/IMG_2177.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Fuge installation went great! Got a light from HD and after a weak Chaeto is growing crazy. Will post pics soon.

Thanks everyone that had input. I sort of did a mix of a few peoples ideas.

I still have to add my ATO haven't figured out how I want to set it up yet. I am out of state this weak so I hope my wife doesn't kill everything :-) Of course I left her specific instructions.

Hey HPPD, tank looks Great

Thanks Dr, I hope it looks the same when I get home from a week away from home on a work trip. Funny I call home to check on tank, think it's an addiction :-)

schoolreefer_police, thanks for the compliment. I was out of state last week and just got back home to read the board.

ballerina, I will get the pics up tonight of the fuge. It was simple and not expensive. Some have told me to spend $89 bucks for a light for fuge. I decided to spend $12 at home depot and spend the rest for corals :-)

I will probably have to cut back the chaeto this weekend. It is growing great!!!

lets see that fuge! i have the same tank and am thinking about doing the same..how big is yours? How did you do the plumbing. Thanks!

Pics say a thousand words so here goes. I made the basket at first to slide in the mid chamber. Cost maybe $3.00. Got light, electric box and velcro from HD for around $18.00. Used dremel to allow light to fit then velcro electric box to rear of tank. Wired light inside box to keep it in position. Added Chaeto :-)

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

IMG_2225.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

Pics say a thousand words so here goes. I made the basket at first to slide in the mid chamber. Cost maybe $3.00. Got light, electric box and velcro from HD for around $18.00. Used dremel to allow light to fit then velcro electric box to rear of tank. Wired light inside box to keep it in position. Added Chaeto :-)

Dang, you are like McGyver or something!

:lol:

Dang, you are like McGyver or something!

:lol:

Thanks! LMAO

Just cleaned out chaeto and it has doubled in size since adding same 2 weeks ago.

Nice tank, and great light casing! :D

Thanks. Here is pic of top of tank taken today :-)

IMG_2309.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

my jbj 28 gal hqi is currently on its way...should have in a few days. i just have to say that your tank (among many others on NR) has been a great inspiration and given me many ideas. i can only hope mine looks half as good as yours. :-)

Archived