Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Coldwater Resource Thread

jeremai

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

Thought this would be a good addition to the links page for Temperate resources.

Its an online publication of " Estuaries and Coasts"

Volume 1 / 1978 - Volume 33 / 2010

This journal has been published since 1960. Within these years, the journal was published as Chesapeake Science from 1960 to 1978 and published as Estuaries from 1978 to 2006.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/1559-2723/

Fully search-able and able to download most in a PDF. I easily found a ton of information on Eel grass in just a couple seconds.

• 2 months later...
AquaticEngineer
What are the main basics for having a cold water tank? What is ideal as far as setup and equipment?

A well insulated tank, either very thick acrylic or dual pane glass.

A good dependable chiller.

Patience.... ;)

I live in SoCal on the coast close to some really nice tidepool areas and shallow areas. Is it even legal to pluck these creatures from the coast? lol It would be super depressing to get in trouble for doing something I love hahah. Thanks for the info guys by the way.. :)

AquaticEngineer
I live in SoCal on the coast close to some really nice tidepool areas and shallow areas. Is it even legal to pluck these creatures from the coast? lol It would be super depressing to get in trouble for doing something I love hahah. Thanks for the info guys by the way.. :)

The short answer for CA is no, its not legal for most things.

Read, read, and re-read your fish and game regulations. There are species you can take, but I dont know them specifically.

In Oregon, we have it pretty good. As long as its not a no collection area ie: marine garden, or research reserve, we can take 10 "unclassified marine invertebrates" per person per day. Makes for some good group collecting trips :)

Edited by AquaticEngineer
kingwintergreen

if you look, you can regularly find temperate critters for sale at large retailers like liveaquaria.com.

then there are always unconventional means such as lab supply houses (such as gulfofme.com), ebay.com, or even your local fish market.

I just got started on a temperate tank myself about two months back and my advice is the same as aquatic engineers. That dfg regulations book should be your best friend. Also find out if these areas near you are protected waters or not because some places are strictly observe only. Another good place for you to look would be your local bait shops since some places carry live bait.

Yeeah my first post hahahahaha

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

If you want you can add me as a source of Pacific coldwater livestock.

I will fully licensed and permitted by the state of Oregon to harvest, transport, and sell native marine fish and ivertebrates as of January 1st 2012.

So if there is anyone who has a coldwater tank that is looking for something let me know.

PS, yes I can get you an Octopus ;)

• 4 months later...
AquaticEngineer

I just wanted to say thank you to Jeremai and everything he did here. He will be greatly missed, and I just wanted everyone to know how much he contributed to my own coldwater tanks just by gathering the resources here in this thread alone.

I remeber reading through this very post about Coldwater Resources when my lobster tank was still sitting dry in my garage.

Rest in Peace.

• 2 years later...

I'm confused about how to achieve a large temperature pulldown for a small tank. Let's say I have a 5 gallon temperate tank and want to lower the temperature from 90 degrees to 55 degrees (NYC summer and I'm not fond of air conditioning!). I assume that something like a 1/10hp chiller would work. Think this size chiller needs a flow rate of 250 gallons per hour or so. If I ran that through my 5 gallon tank that would be 50x flow. Is that okay for temperate? And would I still need something like a MP10 to direct flow sideways through the rectangular tank?

Thanks!

If you want you can add me as a source of Pacific coldwater livestock.

I will fully licensed and permitted by the state of Oregon to harvest, transport, and sell native marine fish and ivertebrates as of January 1st 2012.

So if there is anyone who has a coldwater tank that is looking for something let me know.

PS, yes I can get you an Octopus ;)

• 4 weeks later...
AquaticEngineer

I'm confused about how to achieve a large temperature pulldown for a small tank. Let's say I have a 5 gallon temperate tank and want to lower the temperature from 90 degrees to 55 degrees (NYC summer and I'm not fond of air conditioning!). I assume that something like a 1/10hp chiller would work. Think this size chiller needs a flow rate of 250 gallons per hour or so. If I ran that through my 5 gallon tank that would be 50x flow. Is that okay for temperate? And would I still need something like a MP10 to direct flow sideways through the rectangular tank?

Thanks!

Sorry for the super long delay in responding to this :blush:

You should be more than fine with a smaller size chiller, just stay clear of thermal electric varieties unless you can keep the tank in a stable indoor temperature with A/C.

I have a 1/2" thick acrylic 7.2 gallon tank from Mike at Micro-Reefs, and I run mine with a 1/13th HP chiller. Even when my temp was 89F inside and the humidity was at 45% (enough to cause a bit of condensation) my tank temperature was still solid at 55F. I only use a small internal pump that is maybe 200gph at best.

• Like 1