Pod Your Reef

Reefmack's Red Sea Max

Reefmack

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gerber77 - thanks! The clowns have had 5 batches of eggs since Thanksgiving!

StevieT - cool! What MH fixture are you getting?

Sounds great - same fixture I've had for about 1.5 years. I'm running a 14k lamp now - I tried 10 and then 20, but prefer the look of the 14k the best. I run a dual Azoo cooling fan in back and that's all I need to cool the tank. I don't even run that in the winter, and may run the fans on my new sump/fuge next summer instead of on the back lip. You'll love the totally new look of the tank with just the 420 and 460 actinics on!

Everyone said go with the 14K, so I did. I got the same fan kit as you, and from what you say it doesn't sound like it is needed until the summer.

I am going to follow your light acclimation schedule, it seems the best and doesn't involve egg crate or other.

yeah - it's like all things - advantages come with disadvantages. You've already got an ATO so that's no biggie. At times it's not as convenient as the RSM hood - it has to be taken off to scrape coralline, but on the other hand it's a lot easier, and not that heavy, to lift the hood off to give you access to all 4 sides of the tank. Taking pics with your underwater camera may be difficult as with the hood off the tank isn't lit very well at all. I suppose you could hang the fixture, but I didn't want to mess with possibly having to move the tank to get it centered under the fixture - too dang heavy to move LOL! . But, you get more intense lighting, and can adjust your timing of the MH, T5s and moonlights, to be more like a normal sun cycle. It takes some getting used to, but in the end I think you'll like it a lot. Now you just need a Vortech in there!

Hey Terry!

Good to see you back on the site. I shared all the wealth of knowledge you gave me to StevieT. He's finally crossing over to the dark side....actually, the light side!!

I, on the other hand, am breaking down the RSM. Can't get rid of the dinos and now have caulerpa running wild throughout the tank. Thinking of upgrading to a 90 gallon.

I love your acans. They have great color for being under a 14K. What have you been doing with yourself? Tank looks great.

Hey hazmat! Sorry to hear about having to take down the RSM :( I'm hoping to do that with a little 9g tank this weekend - trash everything but the fish, and start fresh with new rock that's not covered in majanos. Much easier to do that with a small tank. If you do go with the 90g I hope you have less problems. Just don't use anything from the RSM or you may just reintroduce the dinos & caulerpa. But, I'm sure you already know that. You're now the 2nd owner I know that had to take down their RSM because they could not control the Caulerpa and other nasties.

I spend a lot of time on the other forum, but I try to keep track of what's happening here too. Not enough time to be everywhere unfortunately. My tank has looked better - I had a problem not long ago when I pulled off a big colony of palys that were killing off some of my SPS. The palys released a lot of toxin (the water even got a slight milkyness to it after) and that killed or injured a few corals. I only lost a few, but the rest are recovering. I've since found I can kill them off without them becoming toxic by putting Aiptasia-X on them.

hummm hanging the light. I didn't even thing of that. I could easily to that (I think). I have a drop ceiling but can access support through the tile.

I was thinking of modding some kind of track system that the light could move on. Don't have any idea yet as if that will work or not.

I think hanging the light would be the best option actually, that would give me access to the entire tank and still allow light for underwater shots. It sure would look pretty slick, the only thing would be looking at about 6' of wire.

yeah yeah vortech this vortech that. Some day, maybe it can be a tax write off :lol:

outer orbit 150W with 4T5s. Gussman 14.5K bullb 4 fan cooling kit. All should be here by the end of the week.

Stevie, where are you getting the lights from?

Stevie, where are you getting the lights from?

Pet Mountain

on sale plus use coupon code 2009 to recieve an extra 5% off. I should have purchased Hazmats light and sent her my hood!!!! where was my brain yesterday. She is sellign the tank but already sold off the stock hood a while ago, so a tank with no light doesn't = a sale. a drrrrrrr oh well, new is new I guess, could have saved. :angry:

Bulb from Premium Aquatics, going with 14K not the stock 10K

I got mine from Pet Mountain too, and had a coupon at that time also. The sliding track idea sounds nice, but you'd still lose a lot of tank light sliding it back - just not as much. Hanging it would be better, if your support will line up so the light can hang over the tank center. Unless moving the tank a bit one way or the other is an option. I'm sure you'll figure it all out - might even be a new StevieT invention as the outcome!

Hate to see Hazmat give up her RSM :(

Ceiling mounting it is. I have teh optimal set up and can put the wire anywhere so it is center and sturdy. I am going to mod up some black acrlyic and box in the filtration area. Make a cup 1/2" shorter to fit under the box. It should look really clean, allow me to maintain the tank with light and look pretty slick along the way.

Sounds like they always have a "sale"

Ceiling mounting it is. I have teh optimal set up and can put the wire anywhere so it is center and sturdy. I am going to mod up some black acrlyic and box in the filtration area. Make a cup 1/2" shorter to fit under the box. It should look really clean, allow me to maintain the tank with light and look pretty slick along the way.

Sounds like they always have a "sale"

Sounds good, I should get my MH's by next month.

This 1/2 cup shorter idea is great. I already have your special cup though. Hopefully you can give us previous "special owner a discount for the future special cup ;)

BTW, Reefmack, you're tank is awesome.

Awesome tank Reefmack!

I may have missed it, but did you ever get the Rapids Pro overflow and canister system installed?

I am running it on my 46 bow but not with the ATO reservoir. The canister itself is a monster so I can only imagine the space needed to fit the whole PS4 system.

Best of luck for continued success with this one. :)

Needreefunds - Thanks! Your ID is a great one LOL! Nope - the Rapids flow system is still in the 2 big boxes it came in. When I got it they were selling it at a greatly reduced sale price (45 or 50%), and After I got it I found that there was no way it would all fit in my RSM cabinet. I considered putting it on the side of the tank, but between the main unit and the ATO reservoir (just as big) being outside I was sure my wife would freak at the appearance of all that stuff. And I'd probably agree with her! I keep meaning to try to sell it on my local reef club's forum, but haven't gotten around to it. I ended up putting a 10g sump/fuge in the RSM cabinet, and am using a Lifereef overflow. I could have used the Rapids Pro overflow but was afraid that if the Aqualifter pump ever failed I might have a major problem, the Lifereef siphons have supposedly never failed to restart, and after numerous tests and water changes it really does restart every time. How's your Rapids Pro doing for you? - are you running it stock or have you changed the media setup? I was concerned it might be a big nitrate generator? How does the skimmer perform?

StevieT, I hope you will take some before and after pictures when you get the light installed. I'd love to see what a difference it makes.

RM, your tank continues to look just incredible. Do you have any pics of how the 10 gal sump is installed and the whole setup?

Needreefunds - Thanks! Your ID is a great one LOL! Nope - the Rapids flow system is still in the 2 big boxes it came in. When I got it they were selling it at a greatly reduced sale price (45 or 50%), and After I got it I found that there was no way it would all fit in my RSM cabinet. I considered putting it on the side of the tank, but between the main unit and the ATO reservoir (just as big) being outside I was sure my wife would freak at the appearance of all that stuff. And I'd probably agree with her! I keep meaning to try to sell it on my local reef club's forum, but haven't gotten around to it. I ended up putting a 10g sump/fuge in the RSM cabinet, and am using a Lifereef overflow. I could have used the Rapids Pro overflow but was afraid that if the Aqualifter pump ever failed I might have a major problem, the Lifereef siphons have supposedly never failed to restart, and after numerous tests and water changes it really does restart every time. How's your Rapids Pro doing for you? - are you running it stock or have you changed the media setup? I was concerned it might be a big nitrate generator? How does the skimmer perform?

Hey thanks, the little kitty gives everyone a chuckle so it stays. After removing the Santa hat, Lalani thought it looked bald, so I took care of that situation. :happy:

I had a feeling you had not hooked up that beast. I have mine running with a 10g slow flow fuge plumbed to it. I installed a valve in the return line to direct some flow to the fuge and drilled the 10g to plumb it back to the canister.

The skimmer does work, but needs to be cleaned constantly and its productivity seems to vary as the water level drops ( evap shows up in the canister ). I have a Remora running HOB on the tank ( no room in the fuge ) but I keep the Rapids skimmer running also.

As for the media, It changes....some rubble in the bottom, Chemi-pure, carbon and the like in the middle, upper is for floss, Phos pads, etc. No 'trate trap so far---I think the heavy flow throw there prevents the nasties from building, JMO. It has worked rather well so far, BUT ......Your concern about the overflow ( the reason I "fell" into this PS3 in the first place ) is a good one. It has yet to fail for me, but I have cought the tank on the verge of overflowing due to "partial" overflow restart. I guess I am approaching a year running this and I must have replaced / rebuilt the aqualifter 3-5 times. This causes me heartburn!!!! Wondering if / when it may fail. So tonight I plan on reading up on the Lifereef overflow, Thanks for that tip. LOL

Keep up the good work. ;)

--Richie

Needreefunds - thanks for the info. on your Rapids Pro setup. Interesting incorporating a refugium with it - nice idea! I guess I'm now glad I'm not running the overflow that came with it. It's the same principle as the CPR overflows that recommend the use of the Aqualifter to help restart the siphon. When I was looking into the CPR I found some reports that they have failed in the past, even with the Aqualifter as a safeguard, so I avoided that type of overflow. The Lifereef seems to be highly rated, and if you can believe them there hasn't been one to fail in about 20 years. Of course I'm sure that doesn't cover things like letting algae plug up the u-tube, but I don't plan on letting that happen. Lifereef now even has a model designed specifically for the RSM - one that is designed to hang on the back lip of the tank, without needing to cut that rim down. If you've already cut that back rim for the other overflow I'm not sure if you'd want that or the standard nano model. They even sell back flaps for the RSM with a cutout for the siphon that allows the back flap to close. I didn't need that as I don't run the RSM hood any more.

Archived