Coral Vue Hydros

Reefmack's Red Sea Max

Reefmack

OK - here are the pics of the Lifereef siphon and my little 10g fuge:

The lifereef overflow mounted on the back (uncut) lip of the RSM. This is the RSM version, made to work on that uncut back lip. Return pipe is on the left, next to the heater pane. The airline tubing on the right is an extra length of the tubing that is inserted down the standpipe and down through the drain tubing. This thing made a LOT of gurgling/burping noise when I first started it up, and drove my wife upstairs! I was considering unhooking everything when I remembered a recommendation in the Lifereef instructions - to insert the airline down through the standpipe and the drain tubing till the noise stopped. By gosh - it worked perfectly! The tank is now so quiet I sometimes walk over to be sure things are working - my whole setup is now bubble free, and near totally silent. No noisy RSM hood fans, no noisy RSM skimmer, and no more microbubble sources.

Siphon-1.jpg

The little 10g sump/fuge. I got the baffle kit on Ebay, and the tank was in the attic for years. Tunze 9002 on the drain side (right), refugium in the middle, and the return pump in the left section, My Tunze ATO sensors are also in the section with the return pump. Evaporation affects the level in the return pump section, and that's where the ATO maintains the water level. The tank and back of the RSM are kept at a constant water level by setting the height of the inner siphon box - no more varying water level in back, and the 2 pumps now always have water right up to the very top of the 2 pumps.

Fuge1-2.jpg

With my ATO reservoir - a recycled kitty litter container that holds about 2.5 gallons and fits nicely and allows the cabinet to be closed. I think the light is an 18W that I used to have on a CPR hang on fuge.

Fuge2-1.jpg

The little hunk of chaeto I put in about a month ago has grown at least 10 times the original size, and I now have some rock and nasty hermits located in the fuge. I have it on a reverse cycle so that when the main lights go off the fuge light comes on & vice versa.

What I liked about this setup was that by using the Tunze skimmer I can keep the top cabinet shelf and that's where my mess of outlets and timers are. I just have to empty the skimmer cup before it gets too full, as I have to tip it at an angle to get it over the tank rim without spilling that smelly crud.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great stuff Reefmack. Nice job.

I know just what you are saying about the 9002 skimmer cup situation. I am running a 9010 skimmer in a 10g sump under a 20L prop tank and it is quite a delicate maneuver removing and draining that thing. I am lucky the cup on the 9010 is huge compared to the 9002 tho.

Thanks for all the info.

That's awesome, RM. You're not going to believe this. Each I check Craigslist to see if someone might be selling an RSM or something similar. Never see one. Only 10 gallon freshwater tanks with neon rocks for $50, or 300 gallons behemoths for $1500. So this morning I see "34 gallon Saltwater tank for sell" and I look and it's an RSM.

They are asking $250 for the tank and stand. Was bought about a year ago at fintastic. I asked about mods and they said no modifications were done to it. So, I'm headed done to Ft. Mill tomorrow to look at it and hopefully pick it up.

I'm psyched and hope I don't get disappointed, but the price seems great. They said all it needed was some cleaning up and lights probably need replacing.

I feel like a kid about to go look at that dirtbike that kid down the block has.....

StevieT, I hope you will take some before and after pictures when you get the light installed. I'd love to see what a difference it makes.

oh, I will take a lot of pictures, I hope they turn out OK, shooting bright light is hard.

Nice tank under a tank RM.

That's awesome, RM. You're not going to believe this. Each I check Craigslist to see if someone might be selling an RSM or something similar. Never see one. Only 10 gallon freshwater tanks with neon rocks for $50, or 300 gallons behemoths for $1500. So this morning I see "34 gallon Saltwater tank for sell" and I look and it's an RSM.

They are asking $250 for the tank and stand. Was bought about a year ago at fintastic. I asked about mods and they said no modifications were done to it. So, I'm headed done to Ft. Mill tomorrow to look at it and hopefully pick it up.

I'm psyched and hope I don't get disappointed, but the price seems great. They said all it needed was some cleaning up and lights probably need replacing.

I feel like a kid about to go look at that dirtbike that kid down the block has.....

Do it! RSM is a great tank!

DEFF DO IT

just get the tunze skimmer stock sux. lol but do it!

Will do. Unless something just doesn't look right I'll more than likely grab it. Been waiting a while on getting a bigger one.

Already thinking about getting a tunze 9002, StevieT cup and media basket, etc, etc, etc....

God, more money!!!! :wacko: I guess I can look at it this way. I'm saving about $500 over a new one.... :D

Got it! I feel like a little kid who just got the new bike he always wanted.

Now, what's the best way to clean it up?

I guess I also need to make my list of what I need to buy for it (StevieT media basket, tunze 9002, etc). Should I think about upgrading the pumps? Need to order new lights for it too.

Lots to learn about the new tank (how the back filtration works, for example).

Great! I'm not sure about why you think you need to upgrade the pumps? Not any pumps will fit into that spot. Some have replaced one with an MJ1200 but 2 MJ1200's won't fit in there. Just add a Koralia #1 or 2 to the right corner to get some flow from that direction.

Cleaning will probably be some manual labor if there's a lot of coralline. Maybe wet it down and use a good SS or razor blade scraper on it. I suppose you could use vinegar also.

Good luck with it!

I guess I thought most AIO tank owners always replaced their pumps.. LOL I see what you mean about them being "special".

I got it all cleaned out, old sand washed out, skimmer out, all the nastiness washed out of the back. Now I'll just spend some time this week with a sharp razor cleaning the glass real good.

I'm planning on getting a Tunze 9002 to replace the stock skimmer. I know some people have it working ok, but I don't want to start with it and then have to switch out later. Eventually I would like to run refugium just like you did, and would relocate the 9002 to it then.

Also need to look at an ATO. With the BC8, it was a cup of water every 2 or 3 days. I know with this thing it will be more. I can't remember, do you have the JBJ or the Tunze ATO?

I'll probably order a Koralia 2, or maybe two #1's to start with. I really wish I could just go with the Vortech, but I'm sure I will be spending enough just to get this thing off and running.

I hope you don't mind me asking so many questions, I just like to hear from those who have done this before..

Thanks!

- geoff

I'm still using the RSM pumps, but after 18 months I replaced one that was often difficult to restart. Tunze Osmolator here for the ATO, but the JBJ should be fine, and at a lot lower cost. The bulbs are a special Red Sea size so replacing those with anything else is difficult. The newer bulbs are supposedly higher PAR than the old ones, but fit both the 130 and 130D models.

Couple of questions (again)..

1) The original heater ok or should I replace it?

2) Where's the best place to get replacement bulbs (Marine Depot has them for $19.95)?

3) How much sand did you use, and what type was it? In my BC8 I used Arag-Alive, which was fine. I used a larger sized substrate, made up of a lot of borken shells, which I dislike. I wanted to go with the smoothest, whitest sand.

4) How much LR did you use? I would like to bring over some of my existing rock from the BC8 after the new tank runs it's cycle.

Just my opinions.........

1) replace the heater - they tend to quit or not shut off. I like the black plastic Visiterm Stealth heaters - no pilot light but they've never failed me.

2) Good luck - do a search on Red Sea Max parts - the few places that sell the bulbs are often out of stock, as is also the case with Red Sea. Try Red Sea if no one else has them. You could try emailing Marie Depot - they don't list parts but do carry some.

3) I just used the Red Sea aragonite - 22 lbs I think it was? I just redid a small 9g tank with live sand and it seemed very nice also. The RS Reef base is bigger than sand, but not big chucks like crushed coral. The live sand I just used is a finer particle size, and is whiter than the Red Sea base.

4) I started with 50 lbs. of fully cured LR, but ended up with about 60 after adding corals that came on rock. I'd recommended starting out with 35 or so and leaving room for coral on rocks.

snake plissken

hey reefmack, hows it going? i have been slack about posting (or even reading) NR lately. glad to see you are still hanging around.

i flew into charlotte friday on my way back from LA...decided to make my first trip to fintastic! it was awesome!!! bigger than any LFS in Greenville. good selection of fish and GREAT selection of corals. and the folks were really nice! i got there at 10am but they did not open until 11am. they actually opened the door and let me look around for an hour until they officially opened. i explained i was driving back to greenville SC and they were nice enought to let me in!

Hey Snake - good to see you again! Fintastic does have a great selection and seems to have become more competitive than they were, since getting some competition from Nemo's, Petland and Petco. I really only visit Fintastic these days as I trust the quality of their livestock the most. I usually get there about 10:45 - 10:50, to get a decent parking space, and wait for them to open. That was nice of them to let you in early. If you ever go on a Sunday they don't open till 1:00. Did you buy anything?

snake plissken
Hey Snake - good to see you again! Fintastic does have a great selection and seems to have become more competitive than they were, since getting some competition from Nemo's, Petland and Petco. I really only visit Fintastic these days as I trust the quality of their livestock the most. I usually get there about 10:45 - 10:50, to get a decent parking space, and wait for them to open. That was nice of them to let you in early. If you ever go on a Sunday they don't open till 1:00. Did you buy anything?

yeah, i got a beautiful "blue voodo" sps.

I also picked up a small red montipora frag from the $10 odds'n'ends bin. i only had one sps in my tank before this, so i am hesitiant to "go big". i have the stock lighting so we will see how it goes

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think much has changed? Here a latest pic:

FTSsm1_25_09.jpg

I did replace my lawnmower blenny that passed away after almost 2 years. I'm getting some hair algae on top in back that I can't get anything to eat. The Foxface tries but the darn damsel calls that ae home and chases him away. I've added a few fuzzy chitons & no luck yet with them attacking it. Saturday I got a Tuxedo Urchin and hope he finds it. Not the greatest pic of the urchin:

BlueTuzedoPincushion2_8_09.jpg

and a video of the tank - pardon the parrot squawking in the background:

th_eb14ce8a.jpg

And added a little Wheeler's Watchman Goby to my redone little 9g tank:

WheelersWatchman2_8_09.jpg

Thanks folks. I took a better pic of the urchin tonight. It ate a path through the coralline growth on my Vortech. I need to train it to eat the darn green algae too! It moved from the Vortech to the bottom and across to the left side in about an hour tonight, and picked up an empty coralline covered hermit shell on its way - now stuck to it's back. I didn't realize they could move that "fast".

Urchin2_10_09.jpg

My wife calls it Velcro LOL!

Archived