Coral Vue Hydros

Reefmack's Red Sea Max

Reefmack

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the subject of corals, a little, unmounted, 1" frag of neon green Palau Nepthea that I picked up for $20 on Ebay (Liveaquaria wanted $80 for the same size!), is now growing. I first tried supergluing it to a frag plug and it didn't die, but it didn't show any signs of attaching well or growing in the least. I think it couldn't attach as it was only hanging on the plug by a piece of agglomerated superglue gel. I cut it off, and used a rubberband to attach it on a rock, and in a week it's doubled in size, has better polyp extension, and the shaft has gotten thicker and appears to be attaching. I should have done the rubberband mount first, but for some reason was afraid I'd squash & kill the thing. Live & learn! The Nepthea are a type of leather I think, and the softies just don't attach well with superglue - too slimy. I'd read that a hundred times I think, but tried it anyway - duh!

rhogeo - it's not growing THAT fast LOL! But when it gets too big I'll let you know! Don't be holding your breath - have patience :) By the way a small frag of it (not mine) is my avatar now.

Thanks RM. They are doing really well. the frogspawn I got from Baris90 is also doing great.

I think my little BC8 is about full for now. I gotta start talking to Santa about bringing me a new tank for Xmas.

• 1 month later...

I just put a new VorTech MP20 in the RSM, and I am very impressed with it! I'll be doing more playing around with the different modes and settings later, but it's creating flow in every part of the tank. I have it on short pulse mode now, which creates an adjustable frequency between minimum and maximum speeds, and is creating wave action on the surface. As I've read in a Vortec thread here on N-R, the flow is very broad, so even at a max of supposedly 2000 gph it isn't blowing things off the rocks. Does a great job of suspending detritis too, so it can be pulled into the filtration section. Along with putting the Vortech in, I also gave the tank a good razor scraping, replaced all of my chemical media, and remounted some corals, including attaching a Palau Nepthea frag I had been growing out on my frag rack. So, my corals were all a bit "upset" with all the tank maintence going on, and many of them are sliming a bit, but the new pump is doing a great job of removing the slime and keeping it suspended till it gets filtered out. I can no longer see any dead spots in the tank. The coralline encrusted Koralia has been retired! So far no negatives on the Vortech, and it's very quiet. Amazing what a single pump can do!

Thanks iglowce. I had a scare yesterday. When I got home Monday I replaced my filter pad with a fresh one and thought the water felt awful cold. My Pinpoint wireless thermometer showed 79.9, but I didn't think so. I got out my NIST calibrated glass/mercury laboratory thermometer and it showed only 72.3F ! then I checked and found out that I never switched the power back on to the heater after my Saturday water change and tank maintenance! By evening the temp. was back up to 79.2. Close call, and no losses.

Dude, pinpoints are worthless. I had one that ended up being over 15 degrees off. I now have 3 of them, in addition to my ACJR temp probe. If you are gonna go with pinpoints with all that nice stuff, buy a few of them to cross check. You will be SO glad you did. The one that read 15 degrees off slowly screwed up over a long period of time so it wasn't really that noticeable.

then I checked and found out that I never switched the power back on to the heater after my Saturday water change and tank maintenance! By evening the temp. was back up to 79.2. Close call, and no losses.

haha, I have done that a few times! I bump that switch every now and then during a water change. I have found my pinpoint to be accurate, but I have herd many stories where they are junk. My transmitter lasted a year, then it went haywire and showed the tank being at 106°... new one works fine agian.

I've reached the conclusion that all digital thermometers are worthless. I've tried several and they've all ended up giving false readings after a while. I was very impressed with the accuracy of the Pinpoint when the sensor was new, but it's only a few months old and the sensor is already stuck on 79.9F. Replacing these things is the same as throwing money away. I think an old technology glass thermometer is really the best choice.

I've reached the conclusion that all digital thermometers are worthless. I've tried several and they've all ended up giving false readings after a while. I was very impressed with the accuracy of the Pinpoint when the sensor was new, but it's only a few months old and the sensor is already stuck on 79.9F. Replacing these things is the same as throwing money away. I think an old technology glass thermometer is really the best choice.

I guess it all depends on the thermometer. The temp probe on my Aquacontroller II is still accurate, it was purchased in 2001. Of course I don't think the digital is much of an advantage if you would have to look at the tank to read the digital.

I don't know if this has been addressed, but you can feed linkias scallops and crap like that... Just make sure they don't drop the food.

Iostream - good to hear from you again! That's a good report on the Aquacontroller, but I doubt I'll be getting one just to check my temperature. I'll maybe put it on my wish list LOL!

rotarymagic - I was once able to get my Linkia to eat a freeze dried krill, but it only worked one time, and he refused them after that. Scallops would be worth a try. Unfortunately it usually roams around my rock lately, and a lot of the time I can't even see it anywhere - it was much easier to target feed it when it spent a lot of it's time on the glass.

glennr1978 - thanks! I've got an FTS from last weekend posted on this thread page:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry1871626

Edit - back home now and i can access Photobucket. Here are two pics I took last Saturday, an FTS and one of some of my SPS that are growing great!

FTS10_18_08.jpg

SPS10_18_08.jpg

And for the record, a couple of a the new Vortec MP20 that I added:

VortechInside.jpg

I plan to remount the cord mounts to the tank lip - I guess I was too impatient to think about it at the time:

Vortechright.jpg

VortechTurbulence2.jpg

Archived