Pod Your Reef

Reefmack's Red Sea Max

Reefmack

Great advice on joining RASOC, Reefmack. I will do that right away. It will pay for itself in the savings, plus help the local club out. A win/win situation!

Keep us posted on how that filter turns out. I assume you don't have any type of fuge in the back of the RSM? I have Chaeto growing in one of my back chambers and it seems to really help with the Nitrates.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rhogeo - no chaeto currentlly. I ran a CPR hang on refugium for a while - on the left side of the tank, as I didn't have enough room behind the tank. If I could start over I'd leave 6" in back, but I'm not about to drain the tank to move it now! Chaeto did very well in that thing, but after a while it got covered in pink coralline and was a bit of an eyesore. I had all kinds of life in that thing - even mysis shrimp, tiny brittle stars, along with tons of pods. I also ran a DIY acrylic soap holder fuge inside the tank with chaeto, and that worked well too, but like everything else it got covered in coralline and I pulled it out rather than have to clean it. It had so much coralline that the chaeto was no longer getting enough light, and wasn't doing very well. If the new filter sump works well, and I can pull everything out of the back chamber, I may try some chaeto in the back - I get light bleeding over from my raised hood and that might be enough to have it grow well. The walls of my back chamber are literally covered with life - tiny tube/fan worms, small limpets, and some pods, etc. swimming back there. That back space is pretty empty right now - 2 ATO sensors, the media basket, and the water output from the lip of the hang on Remora skimmer. I could probably put chaeto in there now, but I'll wait till I set up the new sump/filter & remove everything still back there.

fierceseaman

That thing looks like a beast. I would say use that flow from the filter and if possible do what I did and remove one of the provided power heads and replace it with the output from your filter. You can remove the loc-line and the loc-line connector from the power head and use 2 inch vinyl tubing with a zip tie or some other plastic clamp to secure it. That is what I did and in doing that solved all my problems with micro bubbles because the second power head is completely submerged as that chamber is not being emptied as fast. I think you will like that, maybe even use the hydor flo on that output.

Tank day here (as usual on a Saturday). I replaced the metal halide bulb in the RSM fixture - I got at 14,000 k this time instead of a 20,000 k. I had ordered a Phoenix 14k, but they were out of them and the guy at Aquarium Guys called & asked if he could substitute a couple $ more expensive 14 k Blueline 14k (no extra cost to me) so I got that. I was going to switch back to a 20k (what I was running) and he said the corals would look better under 14k, and I think he was correct - they do look more colorful than they did under my 20k. I also used my new Aqua Medic scraper for the first scraper first time, and the recommendation I got from someone was correct - much easier to get the coralline off! But, I need an extension to get into a tight spot in the back left corner and I need the same type thing (sturdy razor blade type) in a smaller width - the Aqua Medic won't fit in the space on the back wall to the right of the RSM gate, and I can't use it sideways or I'll be knocking corals off - I have to be able to attack it from the top and the Aqua Medic is just too wide (about 5-6" blade). I did finally get it all off the right side glass, and did get a lot off the back - it looks soooooo much better with it off!!! I'll post before/after pics tonight or tomorrow when the water clears up. I scraped so much coralline off that the water is a slightly cloudy pink color.

Anyone know of a sturdy razor blade based aquarium scraper that's 2-3" wide? The Aqua Medic is so much better to get coralline off than my dull bladed Kent Scraper. That Kent scraper is hereby retired!

OK - Here's the before & after picture of my 2 changes yesterday:

The first pic is before using my new Aqua Medic razor scraper on the heavy coralline on the back & sides. It's also with my previous Current 20k 150 W HQI lamp (about 7 months old so I figured I'd replace it)):

FTS27_5_08.jpg

After using the razor blade scraper, and after putting in the new 150W 14k HQI bulb. The light is much brighter, and "whiter". I really like the look - it reminds me a lot of the original RSM lights. As I said above the 6 inch Aqua Medic was too wide to get the area to the right of the gate. I guess I could have removed the gate, but elected to order a heavy duty, long handle, small razor blade scraper from Ebay. That'll also let me get into a tight spot in the back corner of the left side.

FTS7_20_08.jpg

To me, everything looks so much better without a layer of pink in the background. Coralline is great - I just wish it would stay on the rocks. Just my opinion.

WOW ! The color looks great! The black wall in back really brings out the color of the SPS on top too.

Is that some type of blue starfish on the bottom left side in the new photo? It looks great.

of course, tank is looking great. Nice job on cleaning up that crazy coralline you have going!

I have the kent scraper with all those attachements. To get into the hard areas every now and then I tape on a fresh razor blade to one of the scraper attachments, then just chuck it when I am done. It works for me, I still prefer doing it by hand in the areas I can reach and not have to worry about breaking any coral (which is getting tougher by the week).

The new bulb really makes the tank look nice, much closer to the natural Red Sea lighting, i like it, looks less purple now.

rhogeo - yep - that's a blue Linkia star on the left side. I've had it at least a year, but it's gradually getting smaller - not enough to eat. They say the Linkias usually don't last much more than a few months to a year, especially in a small tank. My wife wanted one so anything that makes her happy with the tank I do! :) If it last a few more months that'll probably be the end of it. No replacement either - it can do a great job of blocking the gate and dropping the flow in back, messing up my ATO and starving the pumps.

StevieT - The Kent SS blade was near useless on the really heavy coralline on the back and rear sides. The sharp razor blade type made it so much easier to get the heavy coralline off. I'm not sure taping a razor on the Kent would have worked, but it's a great idea to try! I've got a few industrial razor bladed scrapers on the way, so hopefully that will do it for me. After seeing how much better the tank looks without coralline I wonder why I was so happy to see it start growing, Live & learn!

I used some fillimant tape that we use on boxes for shipping, so I'm sure you need a stronger tape to make the razor attachment work.

snake plissken

hey reefmack - how do you like Fintastic?

i did not ahve a tank when i lived in charlotte so i never checked it out. now that i am in greenville with a reef tank i have contemplated a road trip to check it out.

how is the selection?

prices?

is it worth a trip or just another normal LFS?

Hi Snake. Fintastic has by far the best selection in Charlotte of fish and corals. They're also the highest priced. Lately it seems like they've become a bit more competitive though. I buy all of my food & equipment online, or at times on Ebay, as it's usually half price of any local lfs, even with shipping. I've also gotten corals online and Ebay, and a couple fish online and had pretty good luck with the online life. But, I still like to really see what I'm getting, so I still often go to Fintastic. There's a new little place called Nemofish that has great livestock prices, and healthy quarantined stuff, but till now hasn't had the best selection. Nemofish is currently expanding so I'll check it out in August after they're done. Also a Petland and Petco here, but I've seen too many ill fish in their tanks, and huge aiptasia in with the corals at Petco, so I stay away from those - limited selections anyway. Is Fintastic worth the trip? I don't really know - it might be if for no other reason than to convince yourself you have equal or better lfs near you. I've never been to ones that may be near you.

Ditto to what Reffmack said. I've seen some nice things at Fintastic, but most are either too big for my little tank or too expensive. I would love to see them carry more small frags for us with smaller tanks and lighter wallets (my wife and 3 kids have to eat before I go blowing $80 on some Zoa colony.)

I did go to a super store when I was up in Raleigh not too long ago. It's called Down Under, and it's in Garner. He had some VERY NICE livestock in there. Had 2 nice, big frag tanks, which were about 6'x6' and about 18" deep. He had lots of small frags of nice stuff, SPS, LPS and everything else. Prices seemed to be goo too. I actually ended up getting about 5 lbs of some nice rock there when I was starting my tank.

Reefmack, I'll have to go check Nemofish out one day soon.

rhogeo - Fintastic has a section of one of their big coral tanks with $19.99 "nuggets" - they often have some pretty nice frags in there. They also have sections for leathers, lps, zoas, shrooms, SPS, etc., and each big tank is often split into different price ranges by lines drawn on the glass, nad often lower prices if you buy 3 out of that tank, etc. I''ve gotten some nice corals from them at better prices than online when throwing in the shipping cost, plus I can see what I'm getting. I shop around a lot online and often go to Fintastic to see if they have what I want at a better price - sometimes they do, sometimes not. I just got a 5 frag delivered yesterday via Ebay - I think the total with shipping was $78, which makes each frag $15.60 - a pretty good price I thought. Orange & Purple Montipora digitata, Green monti cap, and 2 (not so colorful) encrusting Montiporas (which I didn't even really want but were part of the pack). But, not the greatest frags I've seen so time will tell how they grow out & color up.

Hold off on Nemofish till they finish their expansion - supposedly the end of this month or early August. As an example of what Nemofish prices are, they just sold out on their black percula clowns - on't $14.99 each - very good good price IMO. I've gotten my serpent star from them and a nice neon green Pagoda (Turbinaria) coral that was about 5" across for $39. But, till now the fish selection was really meant for those with big tanks, and they only had one small coral tank. It'll be interesting to see how the expansion of the store size changes things.

thanks RM. I always look at the "nuggets" section when I'm down there. That's about the size of frags I'm interested in for this small tank, I just wish we had more people locally who made up frags.

Just talking about it has made me want to head down at lunch today and see if they still have those little Ric frags in the nugget tank.. hehheh

I wish I was close enough that I could get to Fintastic on my lunch hour! I'd be there every other day! I can get to Nemofish - only a few minutes drive from work, but I'll wait till their expansion is done.

The wet/dry sump/ATO arrived yesterday. The box was at least the size of the RSM box. I'm now wondering (as was the wife) where the heck I'll put the thing. First I'll have to see if the overflow box will fit in back or on the side under the raised hood. I have a feeling if I can use it that it may have to go next to the tank, or 1/2 of it next to the tank. The wife would love that - not! I'm already thinking about building a box to put over it if it has to go outside. I'll unbox it this weekend & see what can fit where, if anywhere!

The tank has cleared up since my Major Coralline Attack #2 yesterday. The single edge razor on a 12 inch handle let me get a lot more of it off on the right side of the gate.

Before (9 month old 20 k metal halide lamp, but you get the idea):

FTS27_5_08.jpg

Last weekend - Major Coralline Attack #1 - new 14k metal halide bulb in - I couldn't get at the coralline on the left side of the gate with the 6 inch wide Aqua Medic Razor Scraper:

FTS7_20_08.jpg

After yesterday's attack with the new razor scraper. I broke a corner off 2 blades, but was able to retrieve them:

FTS7_27_08.jpg

The gate is still covered, but to me it looks much better. Sorry all you coralline lovers, but I've learned to hate the stuff! :) If you don't want a pink tank keep after it before it gets too thick. I've learned my lesson!

snake plissken
The gate is still covered, but to me it looks much better. Sorry all you coralline lovers, but I've learned to hate the stuff! :) If you don't want a pink tank keep after it before it gets too thick. I've learned my lesson!

i guess i am not really a "fan" of corraline. but i thought the whole poitn was that it consumed the same stuff that pesky green algae did. since the corraline "eats it all up", then there is nothing for the green algae to eat and you have better control over it.

of course, i guess if you are doing frequent water changes and have great filtering going on, then its not really a concern. i am no marine biologist

Snake - I may be wrong, but I don't think that coralline algae consumes nitrates to grow - at least not anywhere even close to something like chaeto or green hair algae do. It does need calcium though and is basically like limestone in nature. Very good question though! I'm guessing it needs calcium, magnesium & light energy, but surely it needs more than those to thrive. I guess I'll see if I get any green algae showing up on the glass now- I haven't had any in ages. Anyone know what the requirements are for coralline growth, other than the obvious calcium, etc.?

fierceseaman

Reefmack, how far up do you have your lighting system? I just set mine atop the tank and it seems that it has to be really close to the front edge for the back T5 to actually add anything to the display tank.

fierceseaman - I have my front Orbit fixture legs about an inch or even less from the front edge of the tank. That puts all of the lights over the display section, and the back compartments are uncovered. I've never had a problem keeping it up that close to the front - I've even had a cat jump on top a few times with no problems at all.

Archived