SaltCritters.com

Reefmack's Red Sea Max

Reefmack

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I should put an update in here once in a while!

I've wanted some nice Aussie Acans for a long time, so i broke down and ordered some. They arrived yesterday and are looking much better today. 3 Acans and 2 freebies in the box. As usual I was rushing to get the pictures while the wife was getting dinner ready, so I didn't take a lot of the pre-picture taking steps that I often do.

New Spiderman Acan. As with the other 2 new Acans this was pretty much just a fairly flat piece of colored rock last night, but since then they have all swelled up and puffed out nicely. Hard to see in the picture but the mouths are an even brighter red than the rims of the polyps:

SpidermanAcan11_14_08.jpg

Small Multicolored Acan:

MulticolorAcan11_14_08.jpg

Small Green Goblins Acan:

GreenGoblinsAcan11_1_08.jpg

The new trio with my picture hogging blackfinned shrimp goby:

3Acans11_14_08.jpg

Freebie #1 - I think this is a frag of maze coral - Platygyra species?

Platygyra11_14_08.jpg

Freebie #2 - Hard to get a picture of this one where I put it for now. An icy blue Ricordea florida.

NewIcyBlueRic11_14_08.jpg

To make room for the Acans I had to relocate a few things, and ended up stacking a few coral rocks on top of another piece of rock that had room on it to do so:

RelocatedCorals11_14_08.jpg

While I had the camera out I took a closeup of my favorite zoas. These were slow growers till I moved them off the bottom and midway up my rock:

RedZoas11_14_08.jpg

I noticed that my little Micromussa is hidden from sight now - I'll move that into view when I do my tank work tomorrow. Somehow I keep finding room for new corals when I've told myself there just isn't any place to put anything else :)

Sick acan, Reefmack. Where did you get them from? I've been dying for some acans for a while.

Mr. Coral had 50% off everything earlier in the week, but I think the sale is over now. They had a ton of acans and other corals on sale for 1/2 price. The last time I looked they were back to full price. Ebay usually has a lot of nice ones too.

Wow, those are nice ones, Reefmack. I'm surprised you could find a place for them in that tank. You need a bigger tank, and you need to sell that RSM locally.. *hint hint*

Good job.

- geoff

rhogeo - would you believe I'm looking at getting one more Acan in there! Hah! I think with a small adjustment I can fit one more. I have my eye on a nice mint green and red one. Dang this hobby is too addictive and costs too much!

• 2 weeks later...

Update - I added another Acan (I convinced my wife we needed one with Christmas colors):

ChristmasAcan11_22_08.jpg

Took a couple macro shots:

Holacanpolyp.jpg

ChristmasPolyp.jpg

Redpolyp.jpg

When my son was over for Thanksgiving dinner today he asked what the stuff was that was growing in the back corner where my front & back glass meet. I looked at it and was puzzled. This is the corner that my pair of Ocellaris clowns calls home, and they were taking turns mouthing and fanning this weird "growth" in the corner. My first thought was eggs, but they were a translucent whitish color and didn't look like any of the orange clownfish eggs I had seen. I did some searching on clownfish egg development and found a picture that looked like what I had.

Here's one tending/guarding the eggs:

eggs2.jpg

And a blown up portion of the picture that shows the two eyespots on a few:

eggs3.jpg

Now I know why my clownfish were more aggressive than ever when I was scraping a buildup of coralline off of my overflow gate above them. And I was then very close to scraping the eggs off the glass with a mag scraper when my son spotted the "growth" in the corner.

The eyespots and elongated shape of the eggs indicated they were obviously very close to hatching. During the day yesterday they all progressively hatched, but I doubt I'll ever see any of the tiny fry again. If they manage to find enough food to grow, they'll eventually become large enough to become visible fish food for my hungry hoard of fish. I feel sorry for the parents as they obviously both spent so much time caring for the eggs.

Hi StevieT! I guess they did want more tankmates LOL! I can't believe I didn't notice the eggs till they were ready to hatch. Too much time looking at corals and not enough time looking at my fish!

They were being smart with your bioload :D

I hear you, I just feed the fish, but stare at the corals. I hope you have a good thanksgiving

Your tank is gorgeous, and I love your acans. I really do need to get some acans. :P And your icy blue ric is really pretty as well. Keep up the good work! :happy:

Thanks rhogeo. The eggs finished hatching Saturday, but as expected no sign of any fry. Probably down on the substrate, and maybe one will show up someday if they survive long enough and don't become fishfood first!

Have you ever been up to Steve's place "Coral Dynamics" in Harrisburg? He raises tons of clownfish. It was cool to see the different tanmks with different ages of clowns in them....

Have you ever been up to Steve's place "Coral Dynamics" in Harrisburg? He raises tons of clownfish. It was cool to see the different tanmks with different ages of clowns in them....

Nope - I really haven't been to any of the lfs vendors outside of Charlotte. They don't let me out much LOL! I really should make a few trips!

Did you have any indication of the egg laying before you saw the eggs? Did their behavior change at all previously?

I didn't notice anything, but my clowns live in that corner of the tank, so it's not at all unusual for them to both be in that area all of the time. I'm watching them more closely now, in case they produce another batch of eggs.

Well, I wasn't paying attention and noticed a day or two back that my clowns had another batch of eggs in process! They must have spawned again within 2-3 days of the last hatching as the eggs already show the tiny eyes reflecting light. This is also a larger batch than the last time. Here's a pic of mom & dad tending the eggs:

Batch2b12_6_08.jpg

I hope they take a break soon! I'm afraid if they keep this up that they'll deplete their energy.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived