Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Butchered Finnex

masterbuilder

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterbuilder

Thanks everyone for the condolences. I am on the road to recovery. End the end I lost 12 of my 20 Acans, all of my SPS and all of my Blastomussa. I think I might lose one or two more Acans, they are looking sad. All together 60-70 percent are history.

So…what I have left are my Nuclear Green Palys, Purple Death Palys, a couple of misc Zoas, 8 small Acans frags and a colony of Duncan’s…and of course the DFS Limited Edition Green Palys that started the chain reaction.

I still have a hard time believing that squishing a few Palys could crash a tank. I have fragged zoas and palys in my tank, damaging or cutting a few many, many times before and never had a problem. I would never ever, ever never believe that this could be the problem if I hadn’t seen it with my own eyes. It happened almost instantly, in minutes not hours. I think that these particular palys combined with the SPS I had set off some sort of deadly chemical war that spiraled out of control. Needless to say even though the DFS Palys are very nice and grow like mad, they are going to be removed from my tank once everything becomes stable.

As bummed as I am and trying to figure out how I will ever replace my coral collection (the bad economy ya know). In a month or so…. after the tank stabilizes, I look at this as a chance to make some changes to my tank for the better. My long term plan is to have a 90% Acan Land. I just love those and they seem to work well for me.

Thanks again everyone for not flaming me … I did a dumb thing…now you know NOT to do it.

Mark

I did learn from your mistake now and im sure many others have also.I hope your tank comes back even better then before as i always liked seeing your setup.

Needreefunds

No Sir, no flames here.

We Thank You for sharing so that we all may learn from this.

Still very upsetting to read- just how quickly it can all go down hill.

It's good to see you plan to stay with it though.

Once again, best of luck to you Mark.

Hey Mark,

Sorry to read about your tank. I'm sure that your tank will come out of this even nicer then it was.

I'm amazed how fast this chemical warfare can crash a tank!

I guess the low water volume of Nano's make them more susceptible to crashing from chemical warfare.

Lesson learned for both of us. I'll be changing some of my procedures based on what happened to you.

Chin up and take care.

Andreas

davidr2340

Mark,

Once again bro... SORRY!

But, it is awesome to see that you are not throwing in the towel!!! I know this tank will make an amazing comeback, and be even better than before! If that's even possible!!!

B)

masterbuilder

I don’t know Burt....you tell me.

Might be that fragging palys in tank may be a bad idea, or at least do what you can to minimize any damage to them. Funny, none of the other palys or zoas seemed bothered by this at all. The SPS reacted immediately and 5-10 minutes later the LPS went nuts. Like I said ...I think it was some sort of chemical warfare that went wrong.

It's a learning process, Master. :) We ALL make at least one big reef mistake through our time in the hobby. I know I've made my share. In the end we know what your tank once was, and thus know you have what it takes to rock it out just the same if not BETTER this next time around! B)

• 1 month later...
masterbuilder

Been awhile since I have updated the progress and thought I should snap a few shots today.

Anyway………

This is the last FTS I will take before the big redo next weekend. Going for a slightly more minimalist look with less rock and more open space. The rock wall is out, thought it would give a more 3D look but it did just the opposite too my eye, ending up looking quite two dimensional …just like the name implies....a “Rock Wall”....blah. Will replace it with a removable black acrylic panel that can be removed/replaced for cleaning (no coraline allowed). Some corals will be leaving too, will end up keeping all Acans and a few other select LPS. Adding a Monti Cap tower in the left rear section, in place of that pile of rocks. Will update as things change.

Mark

07_26_09.jpg

I still envy your tank, Master!! In any event, my Finnex is back in action with some fresh pics of the new current setup in my tank thread! :)

SeeDemTails

I am very pleased to see the tank looking like this after what happed.

I cant wait to see the tank after the re-do! I am sure it will look great.

Speaking of monti caps, If you want I will send you about 5 different types when it cools down in a month or so!

I am SO happy to see this looking better, and really looking forward to seeing what you come up with next. :happydance:

Glad to see your tank back in action....looks almost as good, if not better, than before things went downhill.

As others have said, I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks after the "re-do."

Def one of my favorite tanks on NR :D I am happy to see things are doing well again ;)

can't wait to see the new scape!!

• 1 month later...

Archived