ReefCleaners.org

The Butchered Finnex

masterbuilder

masterbuilder
makes me wanna ditch the 14000k and go t5 :)

If I could set up the perfect tank using whats available today and had a bigger budget....I think a MH/T5 combo would be part of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterbuilder

Nothing much has changed....just running on autopilot...growing out.

I added one more coral...a really cool little mushroom. I am not a big mushroom lover, but this one caught my eye and wouldn’t mind if it grows into a nice colony.

If all goes as I hope and everything continues to do well....I will resist all temptation and not buy or add any more corals.

So...after 9 months of stocking... WYSIWYG

X-Men_Mushroom.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

that red algae.. the only thing that would get rid of it is a yellow tang... a rabbit fish wouldn't touch it.. I tried.

• 3 weeks later...
masterbuilder

Nothing much new to report. Had one acan that seemed in trouble. I could never understand what was going on. Finally found out...the same evil crab that killed my poor Pipefish was munching on my acan. After many days of baiting and waiting....got him. He is in the pipeline to the ocean. The acan is on the mend and given time I expect a full recovery. Anywho...here is the latest shot.

05_25_09up.jpg

It's about TIME you posted an update!!!

Grats on snaring the crab and solving your problem.

Tank is beautiful, as always.

How do you like the SPS you've added recently?

masterbuilder

Thanks Weet. So far the SPS (Green, Orange Monti Digita and Orange Cap) are doing just fine. I have already taken frags the digitas and placed them over on the LH side of the tank. To answer your question, I do like the SPS a lot...but I love my LPS. Not going to go nuts and go to a full blown SPS tank any time in the foreseeable future. Although are the rate they grow, it may happen on its own.

I just noticed that I uploaded the pic with the Koralia in the tank. I have had the thing since I built the tank and never used it. With all the chatter about the MP10, thought I would give it a try. My LPS didn’t like it at all, was just too much flow. Back in the box it went. I am keeping it as my backup pump to use in case of power outage. Will steal the UPS off my computer to run it, if need be.

Paleoreef103

Hey on the MP10... You can't scale down the flow like on an MP20? If you can't do that I'd say that the MP20 is definitely a much better buy. So now that you have caught the evil devil crab, are you actually going to grab a fish? Is the blenny in your photo still alive?

Needreefunds

Sweet FTS Mark!

Sorry about the MP10 disappointment, but Thank You for posting about it. I had been considering one for my RSM but now I think not.

The red algae. I too have seen an explosion and I did not see any frag carry it in. It seems to love the rock wall and appeared there first before spreading. After reading about the slime algae on the egg crate and such I wonder if something in the faux wall materials is contributing? Just a though.

Glad you captured the Acan muncher. :)

coachfraley

Tank is looking awesome! I am surprised you didn't like the vortech. I have the MP20 in my 31g and I love it, I just dial it to where I want it (as paleoreef broght up).

Anyway, keep up the good work!

masterbuilder

Disaster Has Stuck

Well, my wonderful tank is crashing. I can’t explain what has or is happened.

The chain of events:

I decided that some of my palys were crowding my SPS and needed fraggin back. It’s the blue/green ones nest to the SPS near the center top. I ran a chisel under 6 or 8 polyps to remove them. 2 or 3 polyps were attached to the SPS as I thought they would be. I pulled them off, of course it tore them. And then wow…HUGE amounts of instant slime. I didn’t think much about it but, didn’t like it at all. Since it was 10pm and the lights were scheduled to go off in 30 minutes, I decided that I would wait until later to do anymore and think of a better “slime free” method of removing the palys. Went to the bedroom and called it a night. The next morning, all of my SPS appear to be dead and totally white. All of my LPS are completely covered in slime and showing skeleton. Mushrooms and Rics are completely closed up and detaching. OH CRAP… I do all I can think of and go out and buy 15 gallons of distilled water, mix it up and after it has come up to temp do a 50% water change. I have to go to work (I am very late now) and I feel that when I get home things will be better. WRONG..It’s worse. Most of my LPS are losing tissue and looking very bad. I do the only thing I know to do and break out my old canister filter, fill it with about ½ gallon of carbon and hope to filter out whatever is going on. The next morning my tank is so cloudy I can’t see the back. I do a 5 gallon water change. I figure all I can do it hope. Well today it’s about the same or worse. I do a 5 gallon water change anyway. I am pretty sure most of my LPS are not going to recover. Strange thing, a couple of LPS seem unaffected and my palys are fairly happy and never seem bothered by what’s going on.

I have checked all my parameters, including ammonia and nitrites…everything tests as it always has. All I know to do is a 10% or so water change every day and hope of the best. I feel that the outcome is not going to be good. I expect to lose 75% of my corals. Boooooooooooo Hooooooooooo

I did learn a lesson out of all this… never again will I turn up my nose and feel so superior when someone else has a crash. It’s something that I thought only happened to the stupid or completely uneducated reefer.

Here is the picture…it looks much better in the pic and gives me some hope.

So….any ideas what happened?

00251.JPG

Holy crap Mark, this is terrible. :( I hope loss is minimal (looks like all SPS is lost though) and I hope things recover quickly! Keep us updated for sure!!

Archived