The Butchered Finnex

masterbuilder

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Christianjock07

Mark,

I've followed your build for quite a long time now and all I can say is WOW! Even with the up's and downs of the system it seems to be doing great!

I've followed your thread over the past year although I've never really delved into nano tanks. However, all that has changed since moving and unable to set up my larger system. I just purchased a used 30g finnex last week and after driving 4 hours to pick it up I was little disappointed when I got it home and saw the condition it was in and what I was going to have to do to get it up to par. I didn't realize until it was too late it was the first Gen version.

So now I'm in the process of totally modifying the back chamber area and looking to pull the false wall out and build my own return chamber. I see that you use 3 MJ900's for flow and remember reading that you have the return going over top of the false wall for cosmetic reasons. My question is:

The 2nd chamber is obviously the main overflow chamber with the 3 tiers (what do you run in these), the right side baffle holding up the 3 tiers looks in the picture like it is raised to allow water to pass underneath to the center return pump similar to a bubble trap.

Also, do you have any holes ported lower in the wall to allow more water to access the chambers or are you using only the overflows on top?

Finally, do you have any sketch up dimensions available that helped you modify your back chamber or did you just play it by ear?

Thank you for any info you can provide before I rip the false wall off mine.

Thanks!

Chris

masterbuilder

Thanks...sorry so slow for the response. Havent checked my thread in a few days. Not much to report...just watching and enjoying....thats the way I like it. :) Sig other is on the west coast for family stuff, pics when she returnes with cam.

masterbuilder
I'm excited for the monti caps to grow :D

Me too, dammit. For what seemed like a long long time they really didn’t grow that much and I was getting worried, but in the last couple of weeks they have finally started to put on some growth at the rate I expected. I guess it takes a couple of months to settle in and adjust to their new environment.

Me too, dammit. For what seemed like a long long time they really didn’t grow that much and I was getting worried, but in the last couple of weeks they have finally started to put on some growth at the rate I expected. I guess it takes a couple of months to settle in and adjust to their new environment.

I want some Monti Caps in my future 120 gallon. The growth will be painfully slow. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
masterbuilder

Whoops I have really neglected my tank thread. Sorry for the non-replies.

Anywho…the gobies didn’t do as well as I hoped. They are all gone now 

They seemed to be doing just fine, eating and fatting up. But… every few days or so one would just be gone. I couldn’t figure out what the problem was. I thought since they we so tiny (much less than 1/2inch) they could have been eaten by my emeralds at night. All I know is at night before the lights went out they were all there and in the morning there would be one less.

I finally figured out what was going on. When the lights went out they would DIVE for the rocks in a flash. Not any certain hole…just the rock pile. I was watching one night and when the lights went out saw one dive straight into an acan colony. Well… dinner was served. Mystery solved.

I really like small fish but for my tank these were just too small and delicate. I have since replaced them with a group of 6 Trimma gobies that are doing great. I also picked up a Pink-streaked Pygmy Wrasse which is like a mini six-line a few months ago for pod control and never posted that here.

No new corals, what I have is growing out and doing as expected, other than my neon green montis which appear healthy but grow at a slower pace than I hoped for. C'est la vie

Gorgeous tank! I love how simple, yet pleasing the aquascape is. Believe me, you're going to regret wishing the caps would grow when they take off. Do you have much flow on them? The more flow, the more they whorl instead of plating straight out.

Nice!

and thank you :flower:

Those splashes of green along the bottom and on the left really stand out and provide a nice contrast to the rest of the tank.

How do you like it now compared to how it was before?

Deleted User 6
So gorgeous. Which trimma sp.? Also, did the dart gobies do fine other than getting themselves eaten?

Also, how do you find out if a LFS orders from Quality Marine?

Edit: nvm - their newsletter told me.

masterbuilder
Believe me, you're going to regret wishing the caps would grow when they take off.

Grab 'em and snap 'em to the shape you want.

How do you like it now compared to how it was before?

Oh...like a gazillion times more. The way I had the rock wall set up looked like...well....a rock wall, very one dimensional. Flow is kind of hard to get a handle on with this setup, the space behind the rocks doesnt get as much flow as I would like. Thinking about a MP10...if I can find the money.

So gorgeous. Which trimma sp.? Also, did the dart gobies do fine other than getting themselves eaten?

Trimma rubromaculatus..poor shippers but very hardy once you get them in the tank. Lost one and found it living in my back chamber after a month. Happily back in the display now.

The dart gobies did well. Mine were super tiny and even cyclopeeze was almost too big for them to eat. Found they loved Nutramar Ova (prawn eggs), a small bar is a lifetime supply. In the right tak they would be wonderful. They school nicely and you could literally have dozens in a small tank.

Deleted User 6
Trimma rubromaculatus..poor shippers but very hardy once you get them in the tank. Lost one and found it living in my back chamber after a month. Happily back in the display now.

The dart gobies did well. Mine were super tiny and even cyclopeeze was almost too big for them to eat. Found they loved Nutramar Ova (prawn eggs), a small bar is a lifetime supply. In the right tak they would be wonderful. They school nicely and you could literally have dozens in a small tank.

I've been looking for a schooling goby for my 9g tank. Do they need a lot of swimming room? The tank is taller than wide with decent hiding spaces, though maybe not quite enough if they each need a space.

How much did you pay for them if you don't mind me asking?

masterbuilder

They dont need much room at all. They are a dart fish, think of them as mini fire-fish and act somewhat similar. I paid 14.95 USD for mine but my LFS said they were giving me a deal...yeah right!

IMO..they would be perfect for your 9G.

Archived