SaltCritters.com

Mr. Fosi's drilled 20H

Mr. Fosi

Yaay! Glad it is all safe & sound.

I hope you have luck with the sponge. It certainly would be a beautiful piece if it grew. But it was certainly not going to be long for this world in my setup, despite my best efforts.

C

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I just tested and...

Ca = 390 ppm

Alk = 9.6 dKH

This morning it was:

Ca = 380 ppm

Alk = 12.5 dKH

Now, I can see being 10 ppm off on the Ca since I shot forward a bit fast but the Alk? I was careful about that titration. Am I really losing 3 dKH per day?

Hmm, 3 dKh does seem kinda high to me.

I wonder what's going on there.

I don't think I've lost that much in a day, and my system should have a higher demand than yours.

Hmm, 3 dKh does seem kinda high to me.

I wonder what's going on there.

I don't think I've lost that much in a day, and my system should have a higher demand than yours.

Still using the old expired test kits? You seem like a very knowledgeable reefer, so I assume you are rinsing your test gear? I've been told that something like Chemi-Pure Elite can cause dKh drops too. You know moew than I, but just thought I'd toss some ideas out there. Happy Easter.

Hey Fosi, how's everything looking?

Have the Tubbs and NG opened for you yet?

How's the Sunset?

If you lose the Sunset, I have a source where I might be able to get you a Sunset Monti Digi down the road.

I'm actually having a weird issue where some of my corals get peeved if I raise the Alk over 8 dKh.

Not using old kits, using good ones.

I've re-tested over the last couple days and it looks like I am losing an average of 1-1.5 dKH per day. Still seems high for the livestock I have but you can't argue with the data... I really need to place an order with Bulk Reef Supply before I run out of my B-Ionic.

The sunset is dead. :(

Everything else looks flipping awesome, including the tubs so I am not going to focus on losing one frag even though it was one I really wanted to keep around.

I wish I could post pics for you guys but my old camera broke and I got my new (actually used) one today but I don't have a way to get pics off it... It takes Memory Stick and I don't have an adapter for it. I'll be picking one up tomorrow on the way to school so I should be able to get some pics for you guys tomorrow evening.

Very nice Mr.Fosi, i love the toadstool, eventhough i just got mine yesterday it's already one of my favorites.

I'm not sure what the sunset didn't like since everything else is fine. I just know that it started to take a dive soon after I put it in the tank and raising the alk slowed, but didn't stop its decline.

I am dosing 5-10 mL of part one every morning depending on what my alk is. If it is below 8 dKH, I dose 8-10 ml. If it is 9 or above I dose 5-7 mL. I test Ca every two days at most and dose accordingly since Ca is the less problematic of the two. I am working out a dosing pump setup that will deliver some average amount but since I only just finished adding livestock, the demands have been shifting around.

Actually, I guess I'm not done quite yet because I still want to find a place for my favia brain... Boy, it really is getting crowded in there. I need to get serious about gluing some of these frags to the rocks. I also need to glue the rocks together so I don't have to worry about instability. :unsure:

I'm not testing my pH because my couple weeks of experimentation indicated that it wouldn't be a problem with these dose amounts (so long as it is done in the morning). I recently bought a Pinpoint pH monitor but I don't yet have a probe. I've borrowed a couple probes at school but so far I'm not very impressed... Depending on the probe, it can be a PITA to calibrate it is doesn't stay accurate over the range of 4-10 pH though it is fine from 7-10. Certainly not a lab-grade tool... <_< But better than a colorimetric test kit.

The new camera (Cybershot DSC-W80) is a heck of a lot nicer than my old one (Kodak Easyshare V530). Faster, more precise focus, much faster image write time, just generally a lot easier to use. I'm almost sorry the other one crapped out... Especially since I paid less than half for the new one than I paid for the old one.

Now for the pics. The more sharp-eyed among you may note some new additions but I will post only one pic (right after the FTS) of one of them until they recover from shipping.

Without further ado, here are the pics. These are from last night... It took some time to get them prepped for uploading.

DSC00720.p.jpg

DSC00711.p.jpg

DSC00659.p.JPG

DSC00660.p.JPG

DSC00661.p.JPG

DSC00662.p.JPG

DSC00664.JPG

DSC00665.JPG

DSC00667.p.JPG

DSC00668.p.JPG

DSC00670.p.JPG

DSC00671.p.JPG

DSC00673.p.JPG

DSC00674.p.JPG

DSC00675.p.JPG

DSC00676.p.JPG

DSC00677.p.JPG

DSC00678.p.JPG

DSC00679.p.JPG

DSC00681.p.JPG

DSC00685.p.JPG

DSC00686.p.JPG

DSC00688.p.JPG

DSC00689.p.JPG

DSC00691.p.JPG

I am afield right now helping my advisor and some guys from another lab on a project unrelated to my research. Tomorrow was long but tomorrow will be longer... 24 hrs of hourly water samples. We will filter most of them and retain some (frozen at -80oC). We will process and analyze the filters for photopigments in our lab in Columbia, using the data to identify algae classes present. Then we'll send off the rest of them for total C, total H, and total N as well as a suit of dissolved nutrients.

Here are a couple pics from the coast.

DSC00768.p.jpg

DSC00772.p.jpg

DSC00761.p.jpg

DSC00737.p.jpg

DSC00749.p.jpg

Here is what we worked on today: a tripod. We will walk this into the tidal creek (in the background) tomorrow during lowtide.

DSC00774.p.jpg

Here you can see the acoustic doppler velocimeter (measures flow velocities) and the flourometer (measures chlorophyll a).

DSC00778.p.jpg

This is another acoustic device that measures a depth profile (cm) of suspended particles in the water. CHeck out Jeff's mad acrylic skillz! :lol:

DSC00781.p.jpg

DSC00783.p.jpg

Here's a couple shots of three of us: Jeff, Alexi (visiting from a lab in France) and me (ugly! :o)

DSC00725.p.jpg

DSC00797.p.jpg

DSC00803.p.jpg

O hai.

Way cool coastal pics.

Super spiffy corlz.

Those corlz are so sexy they must have come from some Super Spiffy Pplz. B):P

Three of the new guys.

A brown SPS. I think it is a Montipora digitata but the ends aren't as clubbed as the other digis I've seen. I have it on good authority that it will color up red given time.

DSC00817.p.jpg

A Micromussa sp.

DSC00828.p.jpg

A big zoa rock. It's a mixed bag but there are two polyps that look something like armageddons and a few others (right in front) look a lot like daytrippers. Hard to say for sure though.

DSC00829.p.jpg

They should all color up nicely over the next few months. I haven't posted a pic of the large encrusting monti because it really needs to color up. It has pretty bright blue polyps but the rest of the flesh is brown. I have it on good authority that it will color up nicely and is brown because it was under an inadequate amount of T5s for too long, much like the digi.

Almost forgot to add that the last coral I plan to add for a while is that Favia brain... Once I get that one home, I'm going to sit back and let it all grow out.

airman_verde04
Finally, the 10g in my son's room.

DSC00813.p.jpg

OMG! Your poor sons going to have nightmares with that thing!! AAAHHH :eek: hehe.. just kidding

North Inlet just east of Georgetown across Winyah Bay.

If you want to see on Google Earth, this is as near as I can figure:

33o 21' 01.83"N

79o 11' 27.60"W

Your chalice seems to be coloring up nice. Mine always suprises me with new colors as it grows. Your browned digitata looks like it could be a green or orange, to hard to tell. Im sure you cant wait to see it color up, it has great polyp extension.

Archived