Pod Your Reef

Mr. Fosi's drilled 20H

Mr. Fosi

Needreefunds
What used to be my purple chalice. I was moving it to a more secure spot with my long forceps and I dropped it... Right onto the micromussa, flesh to flesh. :rant: It started to bleach immediately. Perhaps it will reover under this overhang and perhaps not... :(

DSC01077.p.jpg

:( That sux Isaac. I recently had a similar situation. A newly situated frag of favia toppled face down onto an Independence Day micro. It must have been knocked free by a crab during the night and I didn't see until the following morning. I picked it up to find a slime covered mass of rotted flesh. I set it in the sand bed and now, several days later it looks like I lost 3/4 of the flesh from the frag. Hopefully it too will recover. I had no idea micros were so nasty.

I hope your chalice recovers and colors up soon.

Oh, if you still need folks for testing count me in, happy to help when I can. :)

--Richie

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply
airman_verde04
To keep other from asking :lol: here's the list that I have right now:

1) Weetabix7

2) Urchinhead

3) scottyreef

4) Biblesue

5) MrAnderson

6) nano-paul

7) Lalani

8) yardboy

9) lakshwadeep

10) ribbie

11) Carlton's Tank

12) fishdaddy0831

13) DHaut

14) zemuss

Some of these people haven't been contacted yet and may not be willing to participate... These were just the initial names that popped into my head (like scotty and MrA) as well as the people who have already expressed interest (Weet, UH, etc).

Sweet!! count me in..... so ummm.. what is this for..cause I was totally to lazy to read what this was all about.. :blink:

Carlton'sTank

Thanks for the addition Fosi.

I havn't read through your entire thread, but I was wondering if you dose vitamic C at all? Since I have set up my zoanthid-only frag tank I had issues with fungus and pox and I have been constantly searching for ideas to keep everything stable...especially with the introduction of new colonies so often.

I found that dosing vitamin C has helped tremendously. Furan works, but I find it best when dealing with one or two pieces that are infected and it is especially important to catch it early because I actually notice an increased number of pox 24 hrs after first dip (weird phenomenon). Lugol's would help with fungus (sometimes), but it seemed to be hit or miss. I have noticed that since I started dosing "c" the overall health of my frag tank and stabilized and fungus and pox outbreaks have remained contained. Sorry about your chalice.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't dose Vita-C because I don't want my livestock to become dependent upon it. Prop says that once you start, you can't stop without your livestock looking like crap.

I discovered that two of the things I got from Urchinhead brought Gelidium along with them... That means I will have to frag off and discard the base of the digi and I'll have to hack off a lot of rock from the big zoa rock as well. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Harbor Freight for a diamond cutting wheel.

I haven't done much on the alk test front b/c I am very busy trying to get my summer research in order. I was set back 2 months because of my comps and now I am scrambling to get a plan together and collect some data before the summer is over.

In light of this, how about a pictorial update? :lol: I'm not going to bother with words since you all know what everything is anyway... Right? ;)

Ok, I lied, I'll explain a couple pics.

This is the formerly purple chalice that isn't recovering from it's go-round with the micromussa.

DSC01158.p.jpg

These are the frogspawn heads from the lab tank. Something went wrong in the tank and they started to die so I fragged them off and brought them home. They are starting to recover but compare them with their sister polyps; my very happy frogspawn below.

DSC01139.p.jpg

Also, if anyone knows my the pink candy apples (one of my favs) are spreading out ocer their rock instead of sticking together and reproducing, let me know.

DSC01138.p.jpg

DSC01140.p.jpg

DSC01141.p.jpg

DSC01143.p.jpg

DSC01144.p.jpg

DSC01145.p.jpg

DSC01146.p.jpg

DSC01147.p.jpg

DSC01148.p.jpg

DSC01149.p.jpg

DSC01150.p.jpg

DSC01152.p.jpg

DSC01155.p.jpg

DSC01159.p.jpg

DSC01161.p.jpg

DSC01162.p.jpg

DSC01163.p.jpg

I'm happier with this system than I ever was with my first two. :happy:

To keep other from asking :lol: here's the list that I have right now:

1) Weetabix7

2) Urchinhead

3) scottyreef

4) Biblesue

5) MrAnderson

6) nano-paul

7) Lalani

8) yardboy

9) lakshwadeep

10) ribbie

11) Carlton's Tank

12) fishdaddy0831

13) DHaut

14) zemuss

Some of these people haven't been contacted yet and may not be willing to participate... These were just the initial names that popped into my head (like scotty and MrA) as well as the people who have already expressed interest (Weet, UH, etc).

I didnt even see this I'm to help you out if you still need it

Well, our power went off last night around 7PM and it still isn't back on...

The clown and the corals are all still alive-looking and the water smells fine but today is supposed to be the hottest day yet in SC and we have no AC. I am more than a little worried but I put out a call to all the people in my dept asking to borrow a battery-powered air pump and if I get any offers, I'll head home to install it ASAP.

Also the silicone at the top of my overflow has separated so the tank drained to the level of the stockman, which was at least a gallon more than the sump would hold. So an as yet unknown quantity of SW ended up on my floor as well. It looks like all I have to do is re-make the drain pipe for the stockman so that the hole is higher and I will be able to avoid this problem in the future.

In the meantime, I will have my fingers crossed for a battery-powered air pump or a quick resumption of electrical service.

Would you be willing to pay ~$10 (plus shipping) for a Salifert-style alkalinity kit that did 3x the number tests and was at least as accurate? Would you be willing to provide the plastics needed and just pay ~$3.00 (plus two-way shipping) for the reagents? These are the questions that need answered. :lol:

Yep.

Keith

Keith! I didn't even think to add you. :o

You wouldn't have to pay shipping since I (and the fam) come to your place of business at least a couple times a month. :lol:

Petsmart of Petco might have them..worth a trip to go see.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754069

They are definitely good to have lying around. Its the only thing that kept my tank alive back when we had a 5 day black out a few years ago. Plus the bubbles will aid in evaporation..which may help cool the tank a little.

Plus I use my battery pump to help mix my saltwater and to oxygenate it at the same time :)

Power Update: The power came back on at about 9AM. So the tank went a total of 14 hours with no circulation at all. I found this out when I went home with my battery air pump.

The only thing that doesn't look so good is the digi and that isn't one of my main priorities. The LPS, zoas and other softies look just fine, except for one daytripper who is spitting some string. I reset the timers and turned on the sunpod LEDs and the halogen fuge light so the dissolved oxygen should come up rather quickly.

I also made a new stockman pipe with a higher drain, cutting the depth the tank will drain to from 4 5/16" to 1.5". I originally designed the system for the eventuality of a power outage and I planned for the tank to drain 1.75" to the bottom of the spraybar, so there will certainly be no more overflows.

Petsmart of Petco might have them..worth a trip to go see.

Thanks for the heads-up. :) I think it is something that I need to buy... I've put it off for so long but I think it is time now.

Also, we are up to 17 people who are willing to be a tester. I'd really like to have at least 7 more... Do any of you have recommendations of people to approach?

Oh thank goodness, I was praying for your tank!

Goofy?

Not goofy at all! :o:angry: I prayed about it last night when it became clear there was nothing I could do to fix it.

Of course, some would say that isn't the proper order in which to do things but I have this crazy need to do all I can do before I hand it over God. Call me a retard. :lol:

I'm glad the potential disaster turned out to be not so bad.

Your tank looks good, Fosi! The corals look nice and fluffy and happy, so you are doing it right, imo.

Isaac, sign me up if the cost is around $10 and you expect that the kit is good for a year or so.

By the way, I am planning on going to Charleston on July 17-20 to do some fishing and collecting, hoping to run into some peppermint shrimp. Come along if you'd like to!

Archived