Pod Your Reef

Mr. Fosi's drilled 20H

Mr. Fosi

"Require". :lol:

Everything in there is hardy with the apparent exception of the sunset. Since I did in blue & I did in his SPS frags by adding them to the tank too early, I have been more careful to stick with hardy livestock.

I'm not a sensei of SW or anything but I've affected steeper changes in tank chemistry in past without killing/bleaching anything. I'll be happy to post about how things look when I get home but I don't expect a problem.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, "require".

I used to be more like you, but the difficulties of the past year or so have made me much more cautious.

No offense Weet (cause I love you :flower:) but don't give me orders.

I don't mind responding to requests but when people, even my superiors, try to get heavy-handed with me it doesn't go well.

I don't mind being open about what goes on with my tanks and you have seen plenty of evidence to support that claim, so keep your attitude a little more light please.

*sigh*

That was intended to be light.

I was joking.

Unfortunately tone of voice and facial expression doesn't convey well here.

I was looking for a funny emoticon to put with it to help convey that, but unfortunately I have a young child here to take care of and don't have all day to search.

I did find this one tho:

ed2.gif

I'm out.

I understand tone not coming across in print because I have been a victim of it in the past.

So long as you're cool, I'm cool... We cool? B)

She was just funnin' you. She is definitely in her goofy mode! Told me to come over & she'd stuff me in the dryer with her son! :o

Quick update: Everything looks great. No additional tissue loss on the sunset. :happy:

You'll have to wait until later for more details. The fam and I are stepping out for a bite.

I'm back. Before I left I dropped another 5 mL of each into the system (pH was 8.2).

I just got back a bit ago and ran the tests. Current params:

pH = 8.2

Ca = 340 ppm

Alk = 9.3 dKH

So things are looking up a bit. Corals still look great, well extended, I'll post a couple pics in a couple min so you can see what I mean about losing flesh on the sunset.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Now we'll see if I can keep it going. :unsure:

Here are the pics. Note that there is no date stamp on the FTS... I turned it off so it wouldn't block the frag garden.

You can see the missing flesh on the sunset and flipping awesome growth on the orange monti.

100_8360.p.jpg

100_8364.p.jpg

100_8363.p.jpg

100_8362.p.jpg

100_8367.p.jpg

addicted2reefer

Mr. Fosi,

may i ask what camera you use, great pics.

im only workin with a kodak easy share c310 4.0 megapixel

my photos are crap

post-43222-1238554802_thumb.jpg

I use a Kodak EasyShare V550. The trick is to use macro mode, make sure your focus is right and take a lot of pics. If you take a lot of pics you can winnow them down to the best ones.

Plus, you need to do a little post processing to correct the colors.

Here is your photo with a little post processing.

3gPICOEND.jpg

I manipulated:

- Levels

- White Balance

- Vibrance

I also ran Unsharp Mask. All of this was done in the GIMP.

In other news: PC lamp spectrums don't shift over time.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Now we'll see if I can keep it going. :unsure:

Here are the pics. Note that there is no date stamp on the FTS... I turned it off so it wouldn't block the frag garden.

You can see the missing flesh on the sunset and flipping awesome growth on the orange monti.

100_8360.p.jpg

100_8364.p.jpg

100_8363.p.jpg

100_8362.p.jpg

100_8367.p.jpg

Nice Gazing Sphere in pic #3. :lol: Make room! You got more stuff on the way!

Thanks again guys. :blush:

I've never had a tank I was more excited about than this one... I've also never had one that will require a mastery of the Ca/Alk to keep from crapping out. :unsure: I guess it was time to upgrade though! :lol:

Is there a Windows version of GIMP, or do you use Linux? I've only used GIMP on RedHat before.

There is GIMP for windows and it runs very well, stable. The newest version installs the GTK and Glib packages for you I believe whereas the older versions required the user to install them separately, before GIMP could be installed.

If you want to have Vibrance, you will need to d/l it from the GIMP plugin registry. Vibrance is much nicer than Saturation because it selectively brings colors up rather than just ratcheting them all up. Another useful plugin is Shadows & Highlights. I haven't had much use for it in aquarium shots but I am sure others will.

***TANK CHEM UPDATE***

I added more Ca/Alk this morning, 7.5 mL of Ca and 5 mL Alk.

Before I added them the params were:

pH = 8.0

Ca = 320 ppm

Alk = 9.3 dKH

I will test again when I get home. I am hoping to be up above 10 dKH but I think it is unlikely. I am also hoping to be above 350 ppm, also unlikely I think. No, I haven't been to the tank chem calculator but I will go there today.

Given how much it has taken to bring these params up, I think my Ca/Alk demand isn't insignificant. I don't know that for sure because I haven't measured consumption but it certainly feels as though the Ca/Alk takes two steps forward and one step back.

EDIT: I can feel some of you cringing at the dose amounts... I hope I'm not being too reckless.

So... A box came today from TN.

20090331_00012.p.jpg

It had a note inside... "Isaac, sorry to have to tell you this..."

20090401_00029.p.jpg

Uh oh! :o No time to read! I better open it up and see how everything looks!

20090331_00014.p.jpg

20090331_00015.p.jpg

No leaks... Everything looks fine but there seem to be a lot more corals there than I recall ordering. :huh:

20090331_00016.p.jpg

Oh well, into the lab tank they go. Lights off for temp acclimation of course. Oh look at the time! I need to get my prep done before lab! I'll have to read the note later.

20090331_00017.p.jpg

2 hrs later... Holy crap! That's a lot of corals! There must have been some mistake! And how did they seal those bags no neatly?! :lol:

20090401_00024.p.jpg

Well, into the tank they go.

20090401_00025.p.jpg

And a few hours later... They are almost all open! Even the gorg and daisy polyps! :happydance:

20090401_00027.p.jpg

20090401_00028.p.jpg

I guess I should sit down and read the note... No, I'm not going to print the whole text! :angry::lol:

In short, it said that Weet and Sue felt like being generous and so they sent along:

- EvilMel's Green Skirts

- Bright Greens + Watermelons + 2 funky palys

- French Silks

- Encrusting green and pink gorgs (two frags!)

- Tubbs Blue's (!!!!)

- 1 Nuclear Green

- Mini colony of Candy Apple Pink's (!!!!!!)

- Daisy polyps

- Red macro

- A funky frag w/1 Armageddon, a baby mushroom and some chaeto :lol:

Holy frijoles guys! That's about a million times more than I could have expected! Now I have to figure out where to put it all. :D

I'll try and get some better shots with a better camera when I get home and they have opened up again after the trip.

Needreefunds

You just never know what those zany cooks will whip up in the Reef chicks Coral Kitchen!

Once they get started, watch out! :lol:

The tank is looking very sweet Isaac. B)

And the livestock collection has grown tremendously of late :o

All beautiful pieces too.

Great stuff :)

Archived