ReefCleaners.org

Mr. Fosi's drilled 20H

Mr. Fosi

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a pretty good pic!

Now we need a list of species... I'm not putting that all on you Atari, I'm just remarking to the people who might read this thread.

I have seen 6-7 species regularly listed when I have done general "chaetomorpha" searches.

A new addition: hammer! It doesn't extend very far... I guess we'll see how it does over the next few days. I can't wait to bring the brain and the frogspawn home!

100_8080.p.jpg

The kenya. You can see that it likes where I put it. It is starting to slim out where it is jammed in, so I may have to scoot it up a bit.

100_8082.p.jpg

The mystery nem. Still not sure what it is.

100_8083.p.jpg

Isaac i shipped out your skimmer but your inbox is full shoot me a pm and i send you the shipping pics and the tracking #

Well, I had the skimmer that I got from bluebastion (Finnex) running and it worked moderately well after a lot of messing around. It is really a HOB skimmer though and it was really tough to get it to stay upright in the sump...

It would keep slipping to one side or the other because it doesn't have a flat base and the skimming efficiency would go way down or it would start sucking water and overflow. Hopefully the new Tunze will be better.

I still have an original Finnex M-Tank sitting in my closet, so the Finnex skimmer will have a use eventually. I will eventually run two tanks instead of one, just not while I am still in a two-bedroom apt with my wife and son. We need a bigger place.

Then roadtrip yourself down here and unload some of those frags! :lol: Bring Sue as well! :D

Seriously though, I think the M-Tank will need some serious mods before I use it. The flow regime in those all-in-ones really isn't that great and I want to keep down on in-tank powerheads. When the time comes, it will be a fun project to design. I might try to cram 1000 gph of flow into it.

In the back of my mind though is bluebastion's experience... He had his for 3 years or so and it sprung a leak at one of the seams. That makes me worry a bit... Maybe it should be setup in a garage! :lol:

The brain is in the school's surge tank and the frog is in my lab tank.

I'll get some pics of the surge tank and the brain today if I can remember. I'll post a pic of the frog as well.

An overall shot of the surge system. The white tub/box on the shelf at the end of the system is the surge tank. The Panworld pump on the near end is a constant barrage of flow that opposes the surge. The lights are 450W single-ended 14Ks (not sure what brand).

20090305_00096.p.jpg

As the surge is going.

20090305_00099.p.jpg

The brain.

20090305_00098.p.jpg

A few of the other "frags" in the tank: an open brain, a branching hammer and a wall-forming frogspawn.

20090305_00100.p.jpg

20090305_00101.p.jpg

20090305_00102.p.jpg

And finally, a little 10g FW tank that I keep running to provide plants for the freshman biology labs.

20090305_00104.p.jpg

I'm not in charge of the surge system or the other two big tanks, there is an undergrad on staff to manage them. I know this undergrad (and his boss) which is how I was able to get the brain in the system for it's convalescence.

The surge system also has some fish in it... I think a clown or two and maybe a tang and a foxface..

Today's project: A clear mesh cover.

My fish hasn't jumped but a previous clown jumped twice and both times I was home and heard the splash of her leaving the water. I bought some clear mesh of a user here on NR some months ago but I never got around to getting the screen frame and spline. I was at HD today and decided to pick up the necessary parts and it cost me ~$6. I could have paid $10 and got the spline tool that would have saved me a hour of work.

100_8091.p.jpg

And my budding scientist; no I didn't put him up to this. He did it all on his beautiful own. :)

100_8075.p.jpg

Almost forgot to say that I found both shore shrimp safe and sound in the sump. I moved them back to the display and they were back in the sump in less than a hour. If I am going to keep them in the display they need to be bigger than the teeth in my overflow. Hopefully they will find plenty to eat in the sump and will grow big and strong. :lol:

... didn't come out quite as clean as yours awesome!

Mine only looks clean! :lol: Plus, I spent an hour just trying to make sure that the screen would look straight when I was done... A little anal, even for me.

Hows the tunze working?

Well! :happy:

I'm giving it time to break in before I take any shots of the action. It has a couple hundred mL of skimmate in the cup and it is a little darker than tea. I've gradually been cranking the air down and I think that in another few days I'll hit the sweet-spot that'll give me a darker, drier skimmate.

It was a cinch to setup, it's quiet and it has a low power consumption and thus low heat output. Even with the temps in the 80's the last couple days the tank hasn't broken 83F and I'm not using a fan or anything.

I buckled down and cleaned my closed loop plumbing and pump yesterday.

It took most of an hour but I am getting a much better flowrate. There wasn't much in the pipes and SCWD, just a slimy brown/clear bacterial film. Boy, am I happy I designed the loop to come apart! :lol:

Now my toadstool and zoas need to get used to the stronger current... They seem to be doing well; the darth vaders are reproducing and the eagle eye bunch probably is too, I just don't notice because there are so many more.

It may be time to mount those plugs onto larger rocks so they can spread a bit.

Tank is looking good! I need to come up to Cola one of these days and check out the school's system. I may actually be driving through tomorrow afternoon.

I'm here most of the day. It's spring break but not for people who have degrees to complete. :lol:

What time might you come through?

Archived