Pod Your Reef

Mr. Fosi's drilled 20H

Mr. Fosi

So I did a little more geeking.

Here are some spectrums for the lights I am using including the LEDs that come with the 20" sunpod.

bright.lights.png

LEDs.png

Peak values in nm.

Sunpod Blue LED

--------------

My LED Array

-----------

20W Halogen Puck

---------------

Phoenix 14K

----------

Here's a spectrum of the sun as seen here in Columbia SC.

3.24.9.47AM.sun.jpg

~Reference~

Blue_Spectrum.jpg

Also, I finally fragged the frogspawn in the labtank (originally from yardboy). First shot is 30 sec after going in and second is 20 min or so later.

100_8322.p.jpg

100_8331.p.jpg

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply
el_vulture619

I have silently stalked all your threads for a couple yrs now.... always like what you do! Keep up the good work!

It is work too, that's the funny thing. :lo:

In other news, there was a little flesh missing from my sunset yesterday. <_< The polyps still extended well, it is well colored, there is just the barest bit of flesh missing, with sharp edges like it was removed (not receded).

We'll see what it looks like when I get home.

It is work too, that's the funny thing. :lo:

In other news, there was a little flesh missing from my sunset yesterday. <_< The polyps still extended well, it is well colored, there is just the barest bit of flesh missing, with sharp edges like it was removed (not receded).

We'll see what it looks like when I get home.

Keep an eye on that.

You can do iodine dips on SPS too; if it continues to have a problem dip it.

Kent Marine's Tech-D is a better SPS dip, but if iodine is all you have, use it.

Oh and......

SEXY FRAGS R ON TEH WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a little more missing... The polyps are still extending, the color is still good, but some more flesh is missing.

Really think I should lugol's dip?

1-2 drops

1 cup tank water

3-5 minutes

Ja?

Yeah, dip it, and see if you can get ahold of Tech-D.

Wish I'd known before shipping your pkg out, coulda included small amt of Tech-D in it, but oh well.

Do 1 cup water

2 drops lugol's

4 mins

Coulda woulda shoulda, right? ;)

Perhaps my LFS has some Tech-D.

I spose I could always ship some out to you Priority tomorrow.

LMK if you want me to, no charge.

Where's your Alk at?

Have you been dosing anything?

I've been dropping in 50 mL of kalk every evening but no other dosing.

Glad you asked about Alk b/c I just tested it. :)

Two salifert kits put my alk between 6.7-7.3 dKH which is lower than the last time I tested over a week ago.

Ca is (depending on which kit you believe) between 260-320 ppm.

Mg is holding steady between 1500-1530 ppm (approx what my NSW comes in at).

PO4 is zero.

I just bought some kits off a guy on here and they are old. All but the Ca kit (i.e. Mg, Alk, PO4) are within the % error that salifert reports for each so I guess expiration dates aren't always gospel.

The Ca of the old kit was 60 ppm lower than the newer kit. I don't know if that will hold steady or not but I'll know once I take a shot at using some of the B-Ionic that came with the kits.

Dude, you gotta get that Alk and Ca up, esp. the Alk.

I'll bet that's the source of your problem.

I also have B-Ionic and a 20g tank, and based on my own experience, I would suggest the following dosing regimen to start--

Dose 2.5 ml of both parts 3 separate times throughout the day, but only when lights are off. Do this the first day and test Alk/Ca second day to see how much of a difference it made.

You can actually dose all 7.5 ml of the Ca compnent at once, but I would still only do 2.5 of the Alk component at one time to avoid raising the Ph too much.

I would stop dripping Kalk while you're doing this.

I honestly bet the low Alk is what is causing the tissue recession on the Sunset.

So, no dip?

Also, I can't dose during the day when the lights are off b/c I am at school all day so... I guess I should just start right now, ja? pH is probably 8.0-8.2 right now (haven't test it).

Do still dip, it might prevent further recession.

Is there any time that you're home when the lights are out?

Can you add 2.5 ml on your way out the door to school in the morning?

What specifically is the light cycle on your tank?

Lights on 4:30PM, off 10-10:30PM.

I'd be more sure but they are different since I had to reset them after my son jacked them.

I'm out the door by 9AM.

Def dose at least once before heading out the door then, it's easy to do, only takes a few seconds.

I'd be real hesitant to have you dose right now when the lights have been on so long.

I'd say do it after the lights go off and before bed.

If that's not possible then I guess do it now, but ONLY 2.5 ml.

Alrighty. I think I'll dip and dose while it is in the dip.

Whaddya think about 2.5 mL now and another 2.5 mL around 11:30 PM?

Alrighty. I think I'll dip and dose while it is in the dip.

Whaddya think about 2.5 mL now and another 2.5 mL around 11:30 PM?

Yeah, you could, but if you can I'd test Ph before dosing and 10-15 mins after dosing. I'd be interested in the results.

I'm just nervous about having you dose in the middle of your light cycle and don't want to steer you wrong.

You don't want your Ph to go over 8.45 I believe and don't want it to rise more than one point after dosing.

I forgot you had a sump, what is the volume of that?

True about early lights off... I could do that anytime.

The sump is probably around 7-8 gal. I already did the dose & dip and I did it on the "in" side of the sump. I will be testing pH in a min.

Well, after dosing small (2.5-3.0 mL) doses 4x times, I was able to bump the alk up to 8.3 dKH as of this morning. I didn't dose as much Ca b/c I didn't have the time to test for it. I would have done more but I didn't have time this morning.

It took ~10-12 mL total between last night and this morning to affect this change and the pH was between 8.2-8.4 last night at lights off and 8.0 this morning. The two 2.5 mL doses this morning didn't move the pH at all... I started at 8.0 and I ended at 8.0. Perhaps my pre-owned B-Ionics aren't as potent as they are new?

My water comes in looking something like this:

NSW (39 ppt)

---

Ca - 340 ppm

Alk - 9.6-9.9 dKH (3.43-3.54 meq/L)

Mg - 1710 ppm

So it seems to me that I might just want to do a largish waterchange, test the Ca/Alk, bring the Ca up to 400-450 ppm and then let it go for a day or two before testing again. That would give me an idea of what my consumption is and it might tell me whether I need to start dripping kalk instead of doing a once-a-day 25-100 mL addition.

Also, I think it is time to start thinking about making my own 2-part solutions and to looks up an Alk titration method. After testing a couple more times, the old salifert Alk kit seems to reading 2-3 dKH lower than the new (trustworthy) kit. It seems to be consistent, so maybe I can still use it but I don't like that kind of "maybe".

I don't know if I am going to be able to stop the sunset from crapping out. :( I hope I can, it is some of my prettier bits and it wasn't cheap (even if it was only store credit). There is still flesh and polyps on it this morning and it doesn't look much worse than last night but they lights were off. Perhaps I should bring it in to the surge tank at school?

The good news is that the orange monti is growing really fast. It is already growing to encrust a nub of LR that it was resting against. Also, nothing else in the tank (aside from the Vaders) looks funny. The Vaders are doing better but they still aren't as extended as they have been.

I hope you didn't shock your corals by raising your Alk so quickly, it's usually better to do it a little more gradually.

I'm afraid I must require a post as soon as you get home with a description of how the tank is looking, esp. the Sunset.

Also, you can't test Ca until several hrs. after dosing it, it doesn't show up on test kits right away.

Don't remember how long, but I'd say around 8 hrs.

Archived