Coral Vue Hydros

Mr. Fosi's drilled 20H

Mr. Fosi

Today's project: A clear mesh cover.

My fish hasn't jumped but a previous clown jumped twice and both times I was home and heard the splash of her leaving the water. I bought some clear mesh of a user here on NR some months ago but I never got around to getting the screen frame and spline. I was at HD today and decided to pick up the necessary parts and it cost me ~$6. I could have paid $10 and got the spline tool that would have saved me a hour of work.

100_8091.p.jpg

And my budding scientist; no I didn't put him up to this. He did it all on his beautiful own. :)

100_8075.p.jpg

This picture is just too cute. Was he hoping to put some stickers on Daddy's tank!

Almost forgot to say that I found both shore shrimp safe and sound in the sump. I moved them back to the display and they were back in the sump in less than a hour. If I am going to keep them in the display they need to be bigger than the teeth in my overflow. Hopefully they will find plenty to eat in the sump and will grow big and strong. :lol:

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So treygarz stopped by today and I showed him around the big tanks and whatnot. We had a fun little time. B)

Here are some new pics.

The purple chalice I picked up on the way home today.

100_8143.p.jpg

The red chalice I picked up while I was getting the purple.

100_8128.p.jpg

The new hammer. Still not extending big but I think it's just tight by nature.

100_8156.p.jpg

The cabbage leather, toad and what I thought were palys. Perhaps they are button polyps?

100_8151.p.jpg

The pretty zoas. Still doing great and reproducing I think.

100_8149.p.jpg

The Dark Vaders, reproducing fairly well.

100_8147.p.jpg

The orange monti. Polyps are starting to come out and the flesh has grown over the sharp edge where it was fragged.

100_8141.p.jpg

The kenya; much happier now.

100_8155.p.jpg

The orange zoas; looking a lot better than when I first got them.

100_8135.p.jpg

Finally the more crowded of the ric rocks. I think I need to put these guys on a bed of rubble and see if they spread out some.

100_8132.p.jpg

I tried out some new post-processing techniques on these photos to bring them more in line with how they look to my eye. It worked fairly well but they still look a lot better in person.

You've been busy :)

I love the new additions. All of your corals look great!

I love the Vaders...strong with the dark side are they. When they grow out a bit, I might try to talk you into a frag swap.

Thanks for the kind words guys. :happy:

It's nice to have a tank that doesn't kill all the stuff you want to keep (unlike my 20L).

I'm all about frag sawapping, btw. Once these things grow out some, I'll be happy to frag and swap. It's great to finally have some stuff that is worth trading. :lol:

Needreefunds
The purple chalice I picked up on the way home today.....

The red chalice I picked up while I was getting the purple.

:lol: I lol'ed- not sure why I found this so funny, but I did. Could be because this sort of thing happens to me all the time. :happy:

Everything is looking very happy Sir.

You sound like you are finally enjoying the hobby again and this is great to see.

B)

Bad news peeps... The lab tank seems to have developed a slow leak. :(

The weight from the tank is causing the shelf it is on to bow. It is bowing only in the center though leaving all the weight of the tank supported by the two short sides.

I wouldn't have noticed except that the shelf is wet in one of the corners and it seems to be seeping up from one of the seams in that corner.

I haven't decided what I am going to do with everything yet... I am thinking that I might move all the rock, sand, etc into one of the tanks that I am warehousing here at the school. I don't think that I will try to set it up in the lab again though because we don't have the space. The only place I could put a new system is on a shelf above a lab bench and that is what's causing the current problem.

Suggestions?

Well here's a brief pictorial update of both the home tank and the lab tank.

First the lab tank. I moved it off the shelf and onto a desk. One of the girls was kind enough to volunteer her window space. The skimmer is unfortunately right in the sunlight and it's clear so... I'll rig up some masking on Monday or Tuesday that'll keep the algae down.

20090320_00005.p.jpg

20090320_00004.p.jpg

Now for the home tank.

Three zoa frags from Lalani. The first pic is just a min after I popped them into the tank and the others are from today (~28 hrs). Note that the little bit of macro stuck between polyps on the right frag is gone in the later pic.

They are still struggling to open as you can see, but I guess that's what happens when the water gets up above 100F in the shipping box. :o As we have discovered, there are times to use styro + heat pack and then there are times to ditch the styro.

If you come by can you re-identify them for me Lalani?

100_8210.p.jpg

100_8211.p.jpg

100_8212.p.jpg

100_8213.p.jpg

One of the emeralds doing his algae destruction thing. I am very happy with the job they are doing. The only thing I would change is their ability to tackle the larger bubbles... I guess I'll have to remove those manually.

100_8214.p.jpg

100_8219.p.jpg

An FTS. The little frag garden behind the date stamp is coming along nicely. I've gotta do some mounting because I am running out of sand... I hope I can get my hands on a few more chalices and monti caps.

100_8223.p.jpg

PS: I've been breaking one of my own rules over the last couple days... I've been dosing ~125 mL of kalk each evening and I haven't been testing my Ca/alk/Mg. :unsure: I need to buy myself those kits b/c I currently don't own them. I know I need Ca/alk in the tank b/c I have more stony corals than I have ever had and I want to keep them growing. The good news is that I just got my federal tax refund so I have the $$ to buy them and a few other things (;) ;) Weet & Sue!)

Yup, rethinking packing methods. :scarry:

The pinkcenters are Daytrippers I bought from brshriver, the red-skirts I originally got as a freebie from a local reefer, and the blues are from Sealife. :)

Awesome, thanks for the names/origins. :happy: I hope the daytrippers open up soon... I've only had the smallest peek so far. They are the only ones that still look fairly pi$$ed.

Awesome, thanks for the names/origins. :happy: I hope the daytrippers open up soon... I've only had the smallest peek so far. They are the only ones that still look fairly pi$$ed.

Do you have any trouble with the emerald eating corals? I'm thinking of getting one for my CUC as I have some small bubble and sponge algae developing.

Not at all. John Maloney says that juvi crabs are generally better behaved and that his experience of emeralds eating corals was more of an overzealous thing... They were trying to get some algae and took a little coral with it.

BKtomodachi

:o

I want that lab tank on my desk!

The zoas/chalices look great. You've got awesome coralline going on in that display tank also.

More pics b/c some zoas opened up and I bought a new frag but mostly so I can practice my post processing.

First, Lalani's (now my!) zoas. Sealife blue's, red-skirts and the Daytrippers.

100_8270.p.JPG

100_8271.p.JPG

100_8289.p.JPG

Next, the rest of the zoas. Eagleye/Dragoneye frag, orange creams, Darth Vaders,

100_8280.p.JPG

100_8294.p.JPG

100_8301.p.JPG

What I've been calling palys... Are they button polyps? Right next to the cabbage leather.

100_8282.p.JPG

A couple of the less-seen rics.

100_8286.p.JPG

The toad.

100_8299.p.JPG

The hammer. You can't see it in this pic but it is already splitting.

100_8304.p.JPG

The chalices. Lava red and grapeape.

100_8291.p.JPG

100_8277.p.JPG

The monti caps... That's right; plural. The plain orange and the tropical sunset. I can't wait until that little guy grows out!

100_8275.p.JPG

100_8317.p.JPG

Finally, a couple progress shots.

First my largest (and oldest) astrea. Note the huge white band of new shell. It has laid all that down in just the last couple months.

100_8297.p.JPG

And finally a comparison of before and after the emeralds in just one area of the tank. You can use the vermetid snail to orient you.

100_7834.p.jpg

100_8307.p.JPG

Now for some interesting water chemistry findings.

I borrowed some salifert tests from school (Mg, Ca & Alk) and one AP kit (Ca). I tested the water of the lab tank, the home tank and the NSW I use. Here are the results:

Holmes-Farley says they should be

Ca - 380-450 ppm

Alk - 7-11 dKH (2.5-4.0 meq/L)

Mg - 1250-1350 ppm

Home (30 ppt)

-----

Ca (salifert) - 330 ppm

Ca (AP) - 380 ppm

Alk - 8.6-9.0 dKH (3.09-3.20 meq/L)

Mg - 1520 ppm

Lab (35 ppt)

---

Ca (salifert) - 350 ppm

Ca (AP) - 380-400 ppm

Alk - 7.4-7.7 dKH (2.63-2.74 meq/L)

Mg - ~1590 ppm

NSW (39 ppt)

---

Ca (salifert) - 340 ppm

Ca (AP) - 400 ppm

Alk - 9.6-9.9 dKH (3.43-3.54 meq/L)

Mg - ~1710 ppm

Interesting, no?

I'm not big into forcing chemistry but I am happy that I have a line on some B-Ionic and some salifert test kits of my own. I think it is clear that I need some more calcium... It is also clear that dosing 100-200 mL of kalk every evening hasn't been a bad idea.

airman_verde04

Hey Fosi, you tank is rock'n the free world! haha, you know when I get back, would you possible be willing to offer up some of your skills when I come up to Cola? I could use some help laying out the new frag tank/sumpfugium/ and overflow on the new tank design. check out my thread to see what I'm talking about.

Archived