Top Shelf Aquatics

24 gallon JBJ Nano Cube DX First Saltwater Set-up

burnofvengeance

burnofvengeance
Yup,But living here is very expensive for frags, im looking for duncan corals and small frags,over $55 for a duncan head,and $45 for one frogspawn head.

Oh wow. That's ridiculous. I'm sure you can find some local reefer willing to ship it for cheaper. Have you tried looking for a reef club or even craigslist?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh wow. That's ridiculous. I'm sure you can find some local reefer willing to ship it for cheaper. Have you tried looking for a reef club or even craigslist?

Yea I do my aunts shop, but she gets the same old zoa's and mushrooms,and she always forget to send me some new stuff

burnofvengeance
Are you running the tank with the stock lighting?

Yep. Just the stock lighting for me. Maybe somewhere on down the line when I decide to upgrade to a bigger tank I'll get better lighting. But for now the stock lighting does just fine for the things I want to keep.

Yea I do my aunts shop, but she gets the same old zoa's and mushrooms,and she always forget to send me some new stuff

Oh thats to bad. You'll have to give her a list or something of the things you want.

• 1 month later...
burnofvengeance

Well for those faithful few I haven't updated in awhile because I've been in Australia for 3 weeks (awesome by the way). I"ll post up pictures form the barrier reef when I get them developed from the underwater cameras. Anywho, I picked up a new percula clownfish yesterday and the gramma has been picking on him the whole time, so I'll have to keep and eye on that. The gramma is pretty mean though, he picked on the six line wrasse when he was in the tank as well. So hopefully he'll stop picking on the clownfish otherwise I'll either have to change some rockwork (which I really don't want to do) or take him back to the fish store.

• 2 weeks later...
burnofvengeance

It's been awhile since I updated this. Good thing I've only been neglecting my thread rather than my tank. haha. Anyways I picked up a couple of frags from a local reefer on friday. Let me know what you think.

Acan

Picture059.jpg

Picture061.jpg

Chalice

Picture063.jpg

Also got a frag of a bright pink/orange zoo that I can't seem to get a decent picture of, so as soon as I get that I'll post it up.

FTS

Picture054.jpg

LTS

Picture055.jpg

RTS

Picture056.jpg

burnofvengeance

Thanks. I love the color of the acans, it's a really nice purple color. Hopefully I can get some good growth out of everything. Also contemplating the addition of a protein skimmer, still have to read up on the benefits/drawbacks.

I'm surprised someone not only actually read this, but responded that quick so thanks for that too.

burnofvengeance
Great pictures and I love your setup.

Thanks, that means alot. I always look at other peoples set ups on here and wish I had theres. haha. But for being my first sw tank, I dont think its to bad.

burnofvengeance

I used chemiclean today. Really hated to resort to this but, I can't stand the cyano thats in my tank right now. So we'll see how it works. Hopefully everything will be just fine.

burnofvengeance

Doesn't look like chemiclean worked. Then again I only used about half the recommended dose. I used just over 1 scoop, and it calls for 1 scoop for every 10 gallons. I have to do a water change today and I'll siphon out what I can and hopefully it won't come back, but if it does I'll add 2 scoops next week.

burnofvengeance

Well, so far so good. I siphoned the cyano out on tuesday and it hasn't come back in 2 days (knock on wood). But there is still some cyano that's on the rock my zoas on that doesnt seem to want to come off. I can't siphon it off or blast it off with a turkey baster or anything, not sure what to do.

burnofvengeance

So, today at school while I waste 2 hours of my life because my class got cancelled and its not worth the drive home to come back for my next one, I decided that I need the Current Nova Extreme Pro fixture in my life. Only problem is, I just bought a tv, so that purchase will have to wait awhile. Haha. Definately like the t5 lighting though, and I'm sure my tank will love it too.

burnofvengeance

I thought this was fairly interesting. Pictures of my xenia growth. It's definately grown the most out of any of the other corals I have.

9/16/08

Picture020.jpg

2/16/09

Picture076.jpg

Picture075.jpg

Picture077.jpg

I think I'll sell off the original frags, it's spread to everything else so it's not like I need it anymore. Haha.

burnofvengeance
Keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to share.

Thanks for the encouragement. I was starting to think I was talking to myself. Haha.

Here's a few new pictures.

Finnley the clownfish

Picture080.jpg

DIY Magfloat Frag Rack

Picture081.jpg

Picture082-1.jpg

Picture083.jpg

haven't put it in my tank yet, but it feels sturdy enough.

burnofvengeance
cant wait to see the rack in place!! im gonna follow ur thread now, i like ur tank

Haha. Well thanks. It was really easy to make. Found a thread on here where they made the same rack and thats where I got the idea from. I haven't fragged anything before, so I'll probably start with some xenia. Just because I don't really care if it makes it or not, I have plenty of it. Haha.

burnofvengeance

New little present for myself should be coming in tomorrow. I can't wait. I'll have pictures of it up tomorrow, if I can.

Great looking tank. I'm in the process of setting up a 12gal and hope to get the results you have. I will be using some of your and ideas and asking for some advice. I have a question about you current lighting, can you give me the specs. You have had great results with it. I will continue to tag along.

Thanks

burnofvengeance
Great looking tank. I'm in the process of setting up a 12gal and hope to get the results you have. I will be using some of your and ideas and asking for some advice. I have a question about you current lighting, can you give me the specs. You have had great results with it. I will continue to tag along.

Thanks

Congrats on setting up your 12 gallon. Is it a nanocube as well or something else? Which ideas were you thinking about using?...just in case I would have done something different. Any advice you need I'll be happy to help with the best of my knowledge. My current lighting is just the stock 24 gallon nano cube hood which comes is just 2 36W Combo (10,000°K/Blue).

But.....here is my newest update and something I'm really excited for.

20" Nova Extreme Pro T5HO. It comes with 3-18 watt 10,000°K and 3-18 watt 460 nm actinic.

Picture84.jpg

Picked it up off of fellow NR member Whitetigerfish. I'll update with comparisson pictures when I fully acclimate my tank to the new lighting.

It is a Nanocube. It was given to me with only the tank and lid, I had to do some rebuilding. I was considering using your soapdish idea, but mainly I really like the coral selection that you went with. I will be using 2x24w 50/50's due to bulb size limitation with the hood. I plan on adding the water tomorrow, then the sand the next day as well as the live rock. Do you have any recommendations on the order? Thanks again and look to seeing your tank with the new light setup.

burnofvengeance
It is a Nanocube. It was given to me with only the tank and lid, I had to do some rebuilding. I was considering using your soapdish idea, but mainly I really like the coral selection that you went with. I will be using 2x24w 50/50's due to bulb size limitation with the hood. I plan on adding the water tomorrow, then the sand the next day as well as the live rock. Do you have any recommendations on the order? Thanks again and look to seeing your tank with the new light setup.

I don't know about you, but when I finally got to add water, sand, and live rock I was excited that there was finally something in it. Haha. All of the coral I've gone with so far has done pretty well, except for the leather. I don't know if it was just a bad piece or I did something wrong but that's the only thing I've gone with. Sand, I had ocean direct carribean live sand. I'm not a huge fan of it. It's got a bunch of shells and pieces of rock in it. But I guess you could argue that it gives it a more realistic look, but I dont really like it. As far as rocks go you could either have some kind of idea of how you want the aquascaping to look, otherwise break up the rocks until you get them how you want them.

Setting up the new lights tomorrow. But, I'll be using the window screen method to acclimate everything so it will be a few weeks before my tank gets the full intensity of the light.

burnofvengeance

I put the lights on yesterday so here's a few shot's of how it looks so far today. Right now there's 3 pretty dark layers of window screen to try and cut down the light intensity. But it already looks as bright, if not brighter, than the stock hood.

Picture084.jpg

Picture085-1.jpg

Picture086.jpg

Picture087.jpg

Picture088.jpg

Picture090.jpg

Here's my acan with a few baby heads poking out underneath.

Picture089.jpg

I can't wait until a few weeks go by and a I can take all the screen off. Can't wait to see what the full intensity of this light looks like.

Archived