SaltCritters.com

24 gallon JBJ Nano Cube DX First Saltwater Set-up

burnofvengeance

burnofvengeance

Well it looks like I'm back to talking to myself. haha.

Anyways here's whats new:

Going out of town for the weekend.

Then on Monday I'll hopefully be picking up a frag of pulsing xenia and some chaeto. I also bought a soap dish today to make an "in tank" fuge. Hopefully that will help my cyano issues. Which have receeded somewhat by making more flow across the sand bed.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
burnofvengeance

Couple of new things this week.

New coral from Strictly Fish in Lakewood.

Zoas

Picture016.jpg

Bubble Coral

Picture017-1.jpg

Candy Cane

Picture019-1.jpg

New coral from Djpaul81

Xenia

Picture020.jpg

and he was nice enough to give me some chaeto as well.

RTS

Picture021.jpg

FTS

Picture022.jpg

LTS

Picture023.jpg

*Notice the new soapdish fuge, hopefully it helps.

Couple of new things this week.

New coral from Strictly Fish in Lakewood.

Zoas

Picture016.jpg

Bubble Coral

Picture017-1.jpg

Candy Cane

Picture019-1.jpg

New coral from Djpaul81

Xenia

Picture020.jpg

and he was nice enough to give me some chaeto as well.

RTS

Picture021.jpg

FTS

Picture022.jpg

LTS

Picture023.jpg

*Notice the new soapdish fuge, hopefully it helps.

That soap dish looks pretty cool as well as your tank. Gl with everything.

Looks great! B) I feel the same way in my thread sometimes too so you're not alone!

I also had a problem with the red cyano for a long time. I got some various macro include dragons breath and sargassum, as well as some kind of green fern stuff. This really helped to get rid of it. Be sure to siphon it out when you do your water changes and that will speed up the process for sure.

Check out my 10G thread! :P

-texx

burnofvengeance
Looks great! B) I feel the same way in my thread sometimes too so you're not alone!

I also had a problem with the red cyano for a long time. I got some various macro include dragons breath and sargassum, as well as some kind of green fern stuff. This really helped to get rid of it. Be sure to siphon it out when you do your water changes and that will speed up the process for sure.

Check out my 10G thread! :P

-texx

haha. I'm still just surprised someone actually responded to it.

Hopefully the combination of siphoning some of it out, chaeto, and added flow will get rid of the cyano I have. Thanks for all your advice, and most of all response. haha.

• 3 weeks later...
burnofvengeance

The tank is still going good. Not really much new with it.

Just a little story, Today I was doing a waterchange and siphoning out the top layer of sand because I'm battling cyano and somehow I managed to get one of my nassarius snails buried in the sand. I didnt notice him until I almost dumped him into the toilet. Put him back in the tank and he seems fine. Haha.

Moral of the story, make sure you look in the sand you've siphoned for anything moving.

• 3 weeks later...
burnofvengeance

Well, my clownfish decided to jump into the back chamber either last night or today and was killed by the pump. I didn't see him when I went to feed my other fish and thought it was realy odd that he didnt come out for food, because normally he's really agressive and even bites me. Then I noticed that the pump wasn't doing so great and that's when I found him back there. Really disappointed by it. :(

And there's no comfort in the fact that he died a horribly painful death.

burnofvengeance

I've seen these going around the tank the last week (possibly more) or so, and finally decided to take a picture. Baby snails. There's probably 6-8. Maybe more not to sure.

Picture037-1.jpg

Picture038.jpg

burnofvengeance

Picked up a new six line wrasse (named him Achilles) from Strictly Fish today. They're having an end of summer sale with some decent prices. I think I paid like $13 or $14 for him. Not to bad. I"ll get a picture (if I can of him after he settles down). Hopefully he will get along with the gramma and cleaner shrimp.

burnofvengeance

Well that six line died yesterday sometime. I found the clean up crew taking care of him when I got home last night. Luckily Strcitly Fish let met take him back and they gave me a new one. So hopefully this guy will make it.

burnofvengeance
Nice tank - where did you get the soapdish from?

Thanks.

I got it from Target and I took a drill and added the holes on the side and made the holes that came in it bigger as well, so it could get better flow. I think it was like $5 maybe.

burnofvengeance

Six line wrasse died.

Well the first one died after being in the tank for less than 24 hours and I took him back and the lfs gave me a new one for free. He lasted a few days and died as well. Not sure what's going on with them, but I dont think I'll be getting any more six line's anytime soon.

New pictures as promised. Though I'm not sure anyone's following along. haha.

Picture047.jpg

Picture046.jpg

I've been following your thread, I just haven't posted because I didn't think I would have any good info to tell you. I'm jealous that you get to have a tank, I'm in the Air Force and living on base and we can't have any pets. It's beautiful, and I'm sorry you've lost your fishes. Hopefully your luck will change, and maybe by the time I get my own place you can help me troubleshoot problems with what ever tank I get.

Good Luck

Amn Tam

burnofvengeance
that sucks that 2 died :( Are all your parameters in check???

Yeah, it was pretty disappointing. But yeah, everything else is doing great, coral/fish/inverts everything else is fine. I did buy the fish on a sale day so maybe they were just stressed. Who knows.

I've been following your thread, I just haven't posted because I didn't think I would have any good info to tell you. I'm jealous that you get to have a tank, I'm in the Air Force and living on base and we can't have any pets. It's beautiful, and I'm sorry you've lost your fishes. Hopefully your luck will change, and maybe by the time I get my own place you can help me troubleshoot problems with what ever tank I get.

Good Luck

Amn Tam

Well I'm glad to hear someones actually following it, haha. It's to bad they won't let you have any pets on base, but thank you for defending our country...

Anyways, I'll be glad to spread any knowledge that I have but I'm not even going to try and pretend I know as much as a lot of people on here. But your definately starting out the right way, hang out around here and read alot. It's the best advice I can give to you right now. But if you do have any questions I'll do my best to try and answer them.

• 3 weeks later...
2xgrandchampion

Hey i'm following as well im ordering my tank next monday an will be completely new to the saltwater hobby myself. Oh yeah and i'll have tons of questions.... lol

I have a 24DX too and recommend you check into the Sapphire Skimmer. They are fantastic and pull out all sorts of junk. If you are religious about changing the floss a couple of times a week you can continue with that or just dispense with it completely and only run the skimmer. Nanotuners sells them.

srry i havnet read your whole thread but i was wondering if your powerhead (i have the same one) is becoming somewhat of a big pain in the butt? the stupid thing always clogs up and falls off in my tank because the suction cups always fall off of it.

burnofvengeance
i'm following it too

Thanks for following it. I was starting to think I was on my own. Haha.

Hey i'm following as well im ordering my tank next monday an will be completely new to the saltwater hobby myself. Oh yeah and i'll have tons of questions.... lol

Good luck with your tank. I'm completely new to saltwater too. Just read alot and hope for some good luck. I'll help you with any question I might actually know the answer to. Haha.

I have a 24DX too and recommend you check into the Sapphire Skimmer. They are fantastic and pull out all sorts of junk. If you are religious about changing the floss a couple of times a week you can continue with that or just dispense with it completely and only run the skimmer. Nanotuners sells them.

Yeah, I've looked at the Sapphire Skimmer and heard that they work well but I'm trying to decide whether or not I'll actually need it. I'm usually pretty good of changing floss and keeping on top of my water changes. So maybe down the line when I dont have enough time that might be a good investment.

srry i havnet read your whole thread but i was wondering if your powerhead (i have the same one) is becoming somewhat of a big pain in the butt? the stupid thing always clogs up and falls off in my tank because the suction cups always fall off of it.

If your talking about the Koralia nano's, which I assume you are, I really havent had any problems with the suction cups. Just make sure you press the pump really far into it until it almost "clicks" otherwise it might fall off. Also, make sure your using the other magnetic side on the outside of the glass, that helps it stay on as well.

Thats why I joined the coast guard, I get to keep my fish tank. U protect us in the air I got you on the land and sea my friend.

CPT.Alexander.

burnofvengeance
Thats why I joined the coast guard, I get to keep my fish tank. U protect us in the air I got you on the land and sea my friend.

CPT.Alexander.

That's awesome they let you keep your fish tank.

That's awesome they let you keep your fish tank.

Yup,But living here is very expensive for frags, im looking for duncan corals and small frags,over $55 for a duncan head,and $45 for one frogspawn head.

Archived