Coral Vue Hydros

24 gallon JBJ Nano Cube DX First Saltwater Set-up

burnofvengeance

Thank you for your detailed updates.

I recently started a 24g JBJ myself and the information you've provided has been very beneficial.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
burnofvengeance
Thank you for your detailed updates.

I recently started a 24g JBJ myself and the information you've provided has been very beneficial.

Well thanks. I try to just share my experiences and let people make their own decisions about them. Good luck with your tank. If you decide to make a tank thread, I'll have to follow along.

I just found your thread today and have enjoyed it so far. How is your Scallop doing and have you had any cooling issues with the new lights?

burnofvengeance
I just found your thread today and have enjoyed it so far. How is your Scallop doing and have you had any cooling issues with the new lights?

Oh. I forgot to mention. The scallop moved himself to an area where I could not feed him directly and he subsequently died. Which I was a little disappointed in because he was very beautiful. As far as cooling issues. I had more problems with cooling when the stock hood was on than I've had with the new lights.

burnofvengeance

Well my tank has now made it to it's 1 year anniversary. Congrats to me. I'll post a few pictures of the progress.

The very beginning of my tank.

IMG_1082.jpg

And here it is 1 year later.

Picture140.jpg

Let me know what you people think. I don't really know what else I will be able to do with the tank. I'm open to some ideas.

burnofvengeance

Yeah. I think it helps. But I'm also running chemi pure elite, purigen, and a skimmer. So I think it could be the combination of everything. I think it's working though. Haha.

Things to do:

Get some Green Star Polyps growing up the back wall of the tank....

Add some zoas, and ricordea and maybe some acans

other than that looks great

burnofvengeance

I'll definately agree with some gsp. Love the way they look. I have like 6 colonies of zoas. I'm just waiting for them to grow out. I also have one nice colony of acans that are growing well though I do need to look into getting more as well as some rics.

love the tank! i have the same one just started a couple months ago, right now i have the stock filter media in all compartments with the addition of a protein skimmer and heater in 3rd compartment. Have you tried a lot of different filtration, what do you feel the best set up for this tank is?

burnofvengeance

Well I couldnt testify to what works best. Just what has worked for me. The way I have my filitration set up is: Chamber 1 filter floss/purigen/chemipure elite/half stock sponge (changed out/rinsed weekly)

Chamber 2 Sapphire Nanoskimmer

Chamber 3 Heater/ATO/Maxi jet 1200

I also have a soapdish that suctions to the glass in the display full of chaeto.

I dont know if all of it is necessary or if I could make it better. But that's what has worked for me. I've read alot that the stock bioballs and ceramic rings can raise your nitrates. Whether or not that's true I'm not sure. I just didnt want to find out. Hope this helped.

Nice pics!

Looks like your coraline is dyeing. You may need to dose for calcium and alkalinity.

The same thing was happening to my friends tank and he started to dose more and in a month the coraline was coming back.

Well I couldnt testify to what works best. Just what has worked for me. The way I have my filitration set up is: Chamber 1 filter floss/purigen/chemipure elite/half stock sponge (changed out/rinsed weekly)

Chamber 2 Sapphire Nanoskimmer

Chamber 3 Heater/ATO/Maxi jet 1200

I also have a soapdish that suctions to the glass in the display full of chaeto.

I dont know if all of it is necessary or if I could make it better. But that's what has worked for me. I've read alot that the stock bioballs and ceramic rings can raise your nitrates. Whether or not that's true I'm not sure. I just didnt want to find out. Hope this helped.

cool, thanks for the response! any idea where i could find the cheap filter floss everyone uses online? unfortunately , dont think i have a store by me that would carry it.

burnofvengeance
Nice pics!

Looks like your coraline is dyeing. You may need to dose for calcium and alkalinity.

The same thing was happening to my friends tank and he started to dose more and in a month the coraline was coming back.

Hmm. Last time I tested it my calc/alk levels were normal. I'm not sure if maybe it is still jsut coming back from switching to a more powerful light a few months ago. Not sure though. I'll have to check in to that. Thanks for the tip.

cool, thanks for the response! any idea where i could find the cheap filter floss everyone uses online? unfortunately , dont think i have a store by me that would carry it.

You can get it from walmart. Not sure if there is one in your area though. Really it's polyester fiberfill. So you might be able to find it from a local arts and crafts store. Or you might try walmart.com. If not google would probably be your best bet.

• 4 weeks later...
burnofvengeance

Nothing new to update. I'm busy taking a summer class so that takes up all of my free time. Just wanted to stop in and say that the tank is still looking great and besides that nothing else is new.

• 3 months later...
Nothing new to update. I'm busy taking a summer class so that takes up all of my free time. Just wanted to stop in and say that the tank is still looking great and besides that nothing else is new.

Not sure if you are still updating this thread, but I have found it to be very helpful. I am purchasing an established 24 Nano cube this week and was looking for some ideas. It's my first nano tank!

burnofvengeance
Not sure if you are still updating this thread, but I have found it to be very helpful. I am purchasing an established 24 Nano cube this week and was looking for some ideas. It's my first nano tank!

I am and I'm not updating my thread. Haha. Just been super busy with school and work so I figured there wasn't all that much time to talk to myself. But that's great. You'll really love your tank. I have enjoyed mine and I'm hoping to be upgrading to a 34 gallon solana. So I'll have to start a new thread for that tank once i make the upgrade.

burnofvengeance

Oh really? It's worked well for me. But I've torn this tank down for the most part. Set up my new solana I got from StanD so once everything has settled down I'll be transferring everything into the new tank.

• 8 months later...

I love what you are doing hope you still posting never checked the date. I have purchased the same tank which is how I found your thread. I am interested in a fish only. I have done saltwater before and haved failed/chickened out, etc... I am going to try again all thanks to you. I am hoping I do not need as much extra equipment s you due to the FO part, would you say I was correct?

Archived