Cultivated Reef

24 gallon JBJ Nano Cube DX First Saltwater Set-up

burnofvengeance

So do you have nothing set up in chamber 2 at all?

Right. Chamber 2 is empty. It's waiting for a Sapphire Skimmer...and waiting

...and waiting

...and waiting.

:angry:

Matt

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
burnofvengeance
Right. Chamber 2 is empty. It's waiting for a Sapphire Skimmer...and waiting

...and waiting

...and waiting.

:angry:

Matt

haha. Are those supposed to be able to fit in the chamber?

burnofvengeance

On another point, I'm pretty sure one of my margarita snails was trying to reproduce, as it was squirting out "white stuff" today.

Check your fans - I found they exchange the heat better when one blows in and one bows out... Looking nice though - really great aquascaping!

burnofvengeance
Yes. They'll be sold by nanotuners eventually. See it here.

Hopefully that works as good as it sounds. But being from nanotuners I'm sure its going to be good.

Guess I'll have to start saving up some money for that investment. haha.

Check your fans - I found they exchange the heat better when one blows in and one bows out... Looking nice though - really great aquascaping!

Is there something I can read upon to switch the fans like that. I think your right. They probably would exchange the heat alot better.

Thanks for the compliment. :D

Just open the hood and remove the blade of one fan, turn it over and put the hood back on. That's all I did and I am hopeless with mods!

burnofvengeance
Just open the hood and remove the blade of one fan, turn it over and put the hood back on. That's all I did and I am hopeless with mods!

Well then next time I'm feeling frisky I just might have to tackle that. Haha.

How much did it bring your temp down?

burnofvengeance
It was running at 29-32 (84-89) degrees in english money. Now running at 26...(79)

Oh wow. Seems like it made a significant difference.

burnofvengeance
I think it worked because as well as blowing cold air in it was taking hot air out...

So how are they positioned stock?---are they both blowing cold air in or are they both blowing hot air out?

How did you end up switching them? Was it as easy as removing the plastic cover and just flipping one the other way?

burnofvengeance
Mine were both blowing in...

Okay, thats what I thought they would be.

On another note, I'm pretty sure I say a bay snail crawling around on the glass today. It was very tiny, about the size of a pinhead and white.

And, I think my frogspawn is growing another head (hopefully) because when its retracted at night I can see what looks like a bubble coming out of it.

burnofvengeance

New camera and I'm excited about it.

Canon Powershot SD790is. From what I've seen in the last 5 minutes of playing with it it takes great pictures. Even has a special "aquarium" setting and a digital macro setting.

Pictures tonight after work.

burnofvengeance

Have a few more pictures with the daylights on. Not that I think anyone is really following this. But whatever. haha.

Also, I'm going to start battling what I found out today was actually cyano, that should be fun. Any suggestions on what to do?

Picture003.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

burnofvengeance

Today I saw a couple of baby snails roaming around along the glass.

Oh and my emerald crab molted for the 2nd time.

Picture010.jpg

Picture009.jpg

burnofvengeance

Well, I think I really am talking to myself here.

Shrimp molted for the 3rd time last night, didn't feel like getting a picture of it though.

My clownfish is a little butt head. S/He must think they own the tank or something. Every time I put my hand in the tank to do something he nips at me every minute or so.

Well, I think I really am talking to myself here.

Shrimp molted for the 3rd time last night, didn't feel like getting a picture of it though.

My clownfish is a little butt head. S/He must think they own the tank or something. Every time I put my hand in the tank to do something he nips at me every minute or so.

So did you get your chiller online? What brand and size did you choose and are you happy w/it? I have a 29 gal nano that if I run the MH lights for more than four hours the temp increases to 84 deg or more...

Afraid I would boil any corals and figure I need a chiller first....

burnofvengeance
So did you get your chiller online? What brand and size did you choose and are you happy w/it? I have a 29 gal nano that if I run the MH lights for more than four hours the temp increases to 84 deg or more...

Afraid I would boil any corals and figure I need a chiller first....

Well I actually don't have a chiller, just use fans to keep the temperature in check when it starts to get warm. Usually it's between 80-82. I usually leave the hood propped open and the feeding lid up to help with the heat as well.

Try pointing a fan that blows across the top of the water, that should help with the heating. Chiller's are pretty expensive, so if I were you I'd exhaust all the other options before I made the investment.

I have a Peppermint Shrimp that'll come and climb up my finger and try to nibble on it.

Looking good...I have the same issue with my clownfish as well...Funny at first but gets really anoying when you have to move stuff around or clean...

burnofvengeance
I have a Peppermint Shrimp that'll come and climb up my finger and try to nibble on it.

Haha. Yeah my cleaner shrimp will do the same thing, feels kind of funny.

Looking good...I have the same issue with my clownfish as well...Funny at first but gets really anoying when you have to move stuff around or clean...

Yeah thats definately true, first it's kind of funny and cute but the other day when I was trying to move my koralia nano around to different spots to get the best flow along the sand bed he kept nipping at me and it actually got really annoying and I think he managed to pull a couple of hairs out in the process, or at least thats what it felt like.

burnofvengeance

So today is my birthday (happy birthday to me) and my girlfriend was loving enough to get me a gift certificate to the lfs. So here's what I was thinking:

bubble coral (just really like the way it looks)

possibly candy cane coral (don't know though, I already have a lot of green in my tank)

always wanted some pumping xenia (but last time I was there I didnt see any)

more zoas (just to get some different colors and what not in there)

or maybe another fish

But the major contemplation is that I'm going on vacation in December for 21 days, and someone else is going to have to look over my tank. Since I dont have any other reef friends, this might not work out so well. So, I could either buy something now and worry about it later or I could just wait till after vacation. Any thoughts?

Archived