ReefCleaners.org

24 gallon JBJ Nano Cube DX First Saltwater Set-up

burnofvengeance

burnofvengeance

Geez really. Noone has anything to say? I feel like I'm talking to myself again. Haha.

Anyways, I picked these up from a fellow Socal reefer from SCNRS.

Sunny D's

Picture091.jpg

Picture097.jpg

Picture099.jpg

Eagle Eyes

Picture092.jpg

Picture100.jpg

Whammin Watermelon

Picture093.jpg

Picture101.jpg

Cat eyes

Picture094.jpg

Picture102.jpg

Mohawks

Picture095.jpg

Picture103.jpg

Freebee with name I don't know

Picture096.jpg

Picture104.jpg

Here's my new DIY Magfloat frag rack in place

Picture098.jpg

I'm sure everything will look a lot better when the window screen finally comes off in a few weeks.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
whitetigerfish

looking good man! Your gonna get great growth with that light. Glad to see you got some cool looking zoa's in there. I am building my collection as well. Have a good one, look for me for semi rare zoanthid's in the near future ill make you a deal! GL with the tank

burnofvengeance
looking good man! Your gonna get great growth with that light. Glad to see you got some cool looking zoa's in there. I am building my collection as well. Have a good one, look for me for semi rare zoanthid's in the near future ill make you a deal! GL with the tank

Hopefully I get some good growth. That's the plan anyways. Haha. I just have to wait 2 more weeks till all the screen comes off. It feels like it's been forever already. Everything is responding really well to it though, so far. I'll have to keep and eye out for your zoas.

Speaking of zoas, I made 2 frags of my zoas today. They aren't as exciting colored as any of the new frags but they'll have to do. So those should be for sale after they heal and grow out a bit.

• 4 weeks later...
burnofvengeance

Well it's been awhile since I've posted anything, frankly because nothing was new with the tank. But my lfs was having a sale this weekend and I did pick up something new.

Electric Flame Scallop

Picture121.jpg

Picture114.jpg

Picture115.jpg

I've read about the potential difficulty keeping them in an aquarium, but I thought I would try my luck. He has already attached himself to the rock and seems to be doing well. I'll have to keep a good eye on him and keep him well fed if I want to have any luck.

I also have discovered a few of these micro brittle stars. One finally came close enough to get a descent picture of.

Picture122.jpg

Picture123.jpg

burnofvengeance

Okay then no one has anything to say.

New YWG added a couple of days ago named Walter.

Picture125.jpg

TRUST ME - poeple are reading this thread! ;)

Great tank set up, and it has been nice to watch you going through the upgrades as your knowledge has increased. The tank looks GREAT - and the new lighting - WOW!

I read through the entire thread as I just got a Nano-Cube 12 Deluxe and want to see what others have done (why re-invent the wheel?) I have moved everything into it from a 5 gallon and added some extra LR for filtration. Right now, have one sponge still in chamber one, carbon in 2 and heater and powerhead in 3.

I am keeping an eye on this to see what othre things you are planning and to check the progress. (and probably steal some ideas :ninja: )

BTW - LOVE THE SCALLOP - and if you are feeling really lonely you can always ship me some of the zoa frags... :D

burnofvengeance

Thanks guys for your kind comments. As per requested, though I think someone needs to teach me how to take those awesome looking fts, I managed to snap a couple tonight.

FTS

Picture140.jpg

RTS

Picture141.jpg

LTS

Picture142.jpg

Just a couple shots that I thought were cool.

Finnley playing in the frogspawn

Picture138.jpg

Picture139.jpg

Walter in his little area

Picture143.jpg

TRUST ME - poeple are reading this thread! ;)

Great tank set up, and it has been nice to watch you going through the upgrades as your knowledge has increased. The tank looks GREAT - and the new lighting - WOW!

I read through the entire thread as I just got a Nano-Cube 12 Deluxe and want to see what others have done (why re-invent the wheel?) I have moved everything into it from a 5 gallon and added some extra LR for filtration. Right now, have one sponge still in chamber one, carbon in 2 and heater and powerhead in 3.

I am keeping an eye on this to see what othre things you are planning and to check the progress. (and probably steal some ideas :ninja: )

BTW - LOVE THE SCALLOP - and if you are feeling really lonely you can always ship me some of the zoa frags... :D

Well, sometimes I do get a little lone on here but it's great to know that at least a few people are following my thread and thanks everyone for commenting.

The new light is amazing. That's hte best $200 I've think I've spent on this tank so far. It's an incredible difference in how everything looks.

I wish you the best of luck on your new setup. Your definately doing the right thing by checking out what other people have done (not that I'm saying I'm not pretty jealous of other people's set up). Let me know if you ever have any questions or anything, I'll do my best to help you out.

When I do get around to fragging the zoa's, I'll be sure to let you know. Haha.

And on another note, as far as upgrades go, I'll be unveiling a couple of new things that will finally complete (maybe?) my setup. Hopefully it will be here soon, as long as there are no delays. Can't wait.

Your tank looks amazing, i have a 24 myself that is just now up and running :) i just gotta pistol/ywg pair and my YWG is just now comeing out to eat for me , thank god i was worried. What are you feeding your YWG? and is he a shy eater like mine?

burnofvengeance
Your tank looks amazing, i have a 24 myself that is just now up and running :) i just gotta pistol/ywg pair and my YWG is just now comeing out to eat for me , thank god i was worried. What are you feeding your YWG? and is he a shy eater like mine?

Thanks for the compliment. I want to get a pistol to go with my ywg, but when I was setting my tank up I put the sand in first before the rocks so I'm kind of scared that if I did get one he'd cause the rocks to collapse. My ywg is pretty shy too. I basically have to target feed him. I thaw out some frozen mysis and rinse it off with ro water. Then I put the mysis in a cup of tank water and take a turkey baster and squirt it right in front of him. He doesn't seem to come out and eat like my other fish, but maybe he will eventually. But mine is definately a shy in general. Any movement at all and he's back to hiding. Maybe he's still just getting use to everything, who knows.

Thanks for the compliment. I want to get a pistol to go with my ywg, but when I was setting my tank up I put the sand in first before the rocks so I'm kind of scared that if I did get one he'd cause the rocks to collapse. My ywg is pretty shy too. I basically have to target feed him. I thaw out some frozen mysis and rinse it off with ro water. Then I put the mysis in a cup of tank water and take a turkey baster and squirt it right in front of him. He doesn't seem to come out and eat like my other fish, but maybe he will eventually. But mine is definately a shy in general. Any movement at all and he's back to hiding. Maybe he's still just getting use to everything, who knows.

I was worried about the same thing with my pistol, but he found refuce under one of my front rocks with the YWG and burrowd out a space about the size of a pingpong ball, its so neat to watchim him pull small piecs of LR from around the tank to his den. Just added some GSP and yellow polyps :D here is a crappy FTS stupid phone pictures

post-42957-1239081398_thumb.jpg

burnofvengeance

Yeah, I dont know if it's worth the risk for me. Definately something to think about.

Your tank is looking pretty good. Need some more coral in there to fill everything out. Haha. But it looks like it's coming along good.

wow the tank looks great! those T5s really make a difference.

you should get a pistol shrimp so your Goby has someone to hang out with.

Hi,

I'm pretty new to NR and came across your thread and I must say you have a very impressive set up. I am a owner of a NC24 as well. It's a 2004 version, previous to the DX, so there are some short comings in the design. Because I've been busy with life, my tank got neglected for almost a year. I did the very minimum of maintenance, but luckily most of my coral and live stock survived the neglecence. I am gettng more motivation now to get the tank back to a better condition. Your tank is an inspiration.

I really like your lighting, but I can't do the same since I have a kid who likes to climb on the couch to look inside the tank and feed the fish. My stock hood is aging and falling apart. By any chance do you have the stock hood/ballast you can sell? I've been looking for a replacement, but the cost for new can buy me a new tank.

burnofvengeance
wow the tank looks great! those T5s really make a difference.

you should get a pistol shrimp so your Goby has someone to hang out with.

I really want a pistol to go with my goby, but since I put the rocks on top of the sand I'm worried that when he digs they may collapse and kill everything.

Hi,

I'm pretty new to NR and came across your thread and I must say you have a very impressive set up. I am a owner of a NC24 as well. It's a 2004 version, previous to the DX, so there are some short comings in the design. Because I've been busy with life, my tank got neglected for almost a year. I did the very minimum of maintenance, but luckily most of my coral and live stock survived the neglecence. I am gettng more motivation now to get the tank back to a better condition. Your tank is an inspiration.

I really like your lighting, but I can't do the same since I have a kid who likes to climb on the couch to look inside the tank and feed the fish. My stock hood is aging and falling apart. By any chance do you have the stock hood/ballast you can sell? I've been looking for a replacement, but the cost for new can buy me a new tank.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad to see that your getting back into the hobby. An option you could do if you wanted the same light is to maybe put a glass lid, or something else, on top of it so no accidents can happen. As far as my hood goes, I'm really undecided about what I want to do with it. Part of me says sell it off but the other part of me says just keep it just in case I ever want to put it back on. But I will definately let you know if I do decided to sell it.

That's cool. My concern is more that the light may get knocked on the floor or it may be hot to the touch. Let me know if you wanna sell. Thanks.

burnofvengeance

Oh, yeah. Those are legitament concerns. It's definately an excellent light though. I'll let you know.

burnofvengeance

Finally got my new stuff in.

I've had this for about a week. JBJ ATO

Picture145-1.jpg

This just arrived this morning. My new Sapphire Nanoskimmer.

Picture146.jpg

Picture147.jpg

Can't wait to install it. I'll let you know how it works when it's broken in.

burnofvengeance

Well here's the first days skimmate after minor adjustments with the water level and the gate fully open. It should be much dryer and nastier when the skimmer breaks in. But I think it's got a pretty gross color to it considering.

Picture148.jpg

• 1 month later...
burnofvengeance

Well I know I haven't updated this in awhile but school is ending this week so I've been finishing up with that. Anyways, the real reason I'm updating this is because my tank survived an earthquake. It was a 5.0 that was centered not to far away from where I live but, luckily nothing went wrong.

addicted2reefer

Wow very nice NANO , congrats on the new light and making it through the quake !

that skimmer, if you have one, can you post a pic of how it fits in the back. Im debting upgrading to the JBJ NANO HQI lid or goin topless. if i went topless id be interested in a skimmer like that. does it just drop in a back chamber or hang on the back ?

• 3 weeks later...
burnofvengeance
Wow very nice NANO , congrats on the new light and making it through the quake !

that skimmer, if you have one, can you post a pic of how it fits in the back. Im debting upgrading to the JBJ NANO HQI lid or goin topless. if i went topless id be interested in a skimmer like that. does it just drop in a back chamber or hang on the back ?

Thank you for the compliment. But I would also like to appologize for such a late response to your question. Here's a few pictures of how I have my chambers set up.

Picture159.jpg

Picture160.jpg

As you can see the Sapphire skimmer fits perfectly into the middle chamber of the nanocube. If I still did have the original hood on my tank it would be able to close easily.

Picture161.jpg

Archived