Cultivated Reef

Av8ffej's AquaPod 24 150MH

av8ffej

I still got a spot saved for one if you ever frag yours! hehehe

I'd be happy to frag it for you, but it seems like it's kinda fickle. For what it's worth, ARSA still has one in stock. Maybe we can work something out for ya. I golf in the south end a fair amount, so maybe on the way to the next tee time. I'll PM ya.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FTS bumpity bump bump bump

I used to have a christmas tree leather in a 30 gallon, it smelled of herbs and spices, very nice.

That's weird. My Thanksgiving Duncan smelled like cinnamon and nutmeg. :huh:

Since there were multiple bumps HXC, I'll do two FTSs... :P

9-22-08FTS1-1.jpg

Further back:

9-22-08FTS3-1.jpg

And the Oregon Tort that I said I would post:

9-22-08Tort-1.jpg

The white shoot on the left side is all that remains of the nasty superglue accident. I'm really shocked that it has done as well as it has after that slaughter. Before anyone pipes up, that ORA spongeode on the right is actually set back 1/2 in from the tort. No more burns for my tort...

I'd be happy to frag it for you, but it seems like it's kinda fickle. For what it's worth, ARSA still has one in stock. Maybe we can work something out for ya. I golf in the south end a fair amount, so maybe on the way to the next tee time. I'll PM ya.

Im going to try this place out in Tacompton this weekend. Supposedly have "huge selection of live corals". Guess we will see what that means. Will let yall know. But thanks for the offer! Might have to take you up that one of these days. Where do golf down here?

Im going to try this place out in Tacompton this weekend. Supposedly have "huge selection of live corals". Guess we will see what that means. Will let yall know. But thanks for the offer! Might have to take you up that one of these days. Where do golf down here?

Ah, in the shadow of the Aromadome. Last week played Druids Glen, Tahoma this weekend (possible), Auburn (Mmm A-town), Maplewood. Supposed to play someplace in Puyallup soon. Wherever.

nice set up and live stocks

Thanks F_C!

Now that's funny right there!!! :lol:

Tacompton is one of my faves, as is the affectionate name for it's next-door neighbor: "Felony Way"

But that's not what this post is about!

I have two things on my monti caps (actually the rocks they are attached to) that I'm not so sure on. For some reason -as usual- I can't get a very good pic of them.

The first one is a green coral that I cant quite identify. It looks like a blasto, but I'm not so sure. It's green circle on the left of the strange coloration (brown) on the rock.

9-23-08Caphitcherid.jpg

The next two pictures are a feeble attempt at capturing something(s) that just disgust me. The white balls underneath the cap, look like spider egg sacs, but I have a coral tank, not an arachnid tank, so I don't know. Even less appealing are the little legs of something that is living underneath the cap. They are super thin and almost look like the legs of the supertotally wee little brittle star (actual scientific name) but could pass for something out of a sci-fi movie. Enough words.

9-23-08Mysteryoncap1.jpg

Leg profile:

9-23-08Mysteryoncap2.jpg

I know that technically it's a cross post, but I'm going to take a few more pictures and PhotoShop them and put them on the ID forum. But, if you know these creatures, toss me a reply here...

Thanks!!

I have to say, your tank is really nice. Your Jawfish pics are inspiring me to go look for one here in Canada.

I recently set up my own nano tank and am interested in your skimmer. Is that the Pacific Coast Mini Nano skimmer you are using? You mentioned that you're not sure how effective it is...how much have you played with it to get it to skim dryer? Any other thoughts on the skimmer that would help me out?

I have to say, your tank is really nice. Your Jawfish pics are inspiring me to go look for one here in Canada.

I recently set up my own nano tank and am interested in your skimmer. Is that the Pacific Coast Mini Nano skimmer you are using? You mentioned that you're not sure how effective it is...how much have you played with it to get it to skim dryer? Any other thoughts on the skimmer that would help me out?

Thanks! I wish I still had him around. I'll likely get another one somewhere down the line, but I'm still just waiting until I get everything in balance. I'm getting a pretty good fluctuation in some of my levels, but I'm a little more on top of it than the 1-2 times a week of testing. He was a super cool fish.

The skimmer is a Pacific Coast. It does pull stuff out of the water, it just isn't the sludge that many pictures depict. It's more like tea. I try to run it on the dry side (1/2 inch below cup), and it's usually pretty good when I get the auto-top off and skimmer tweaked, but of course you have to do it all over again when you do your water change the next week. It's not that bad.

For the price, it works pretty well. So you know, it does take about 1-1.5 weeks to break in. Still don't understand why it takes time to break something in that has no moving parts, but hey. Where in Canada?

Wow that Oregon Tort is awesome!

Thanks Redneck! It is such a cool piece. It just about wrecked me when I thought I lost it to the superglue. It has come through like a champ though!

A couple of updates. Last week when I was cleaning the tank, my inattention reared its ugly head, and I managed to suck my frogspawn into the tube. Poor thing was decimated. In less than a second, I watched frogspawn fragments shoot through the tubing into the bucket. Oh well. A little worse for the wear, it's coming back just fine.

This week will be the planning phase for the big cap move. I'm going to be cutting the caps off of the individual rocks and moving them all to a single rock to see if I can get them all to grow together.

My calcium/alk troubles continue. I didn't realize that even the little SPS suck up a fair amount of calcium! I have lots of them, so I just watch the calc plummet every two days, so I'm tying to get a dosing schedule down so that I can just get the balance to sit for more than 10 minutes!

The big news of the week - New fish! Radiance Wrasse!

Enough talking - here's the pics!

The new reef citizen:

10-4-08Radiantdayone2.jpg

Here's a new hitchhiker that I found. It looks like a scallop, sorry I can't get a very good shot of it.

10-5-08Scallop.jpg

A new pick of 'The Garden'

10-5-08Gardenarea.jpg

And just another pic of the purple, pink, and green zoas

10-5-08PurpleandPinkzoa.jpg

Oh jeeze. I forgot the FTS. I'll have to post that one a little later this evening.

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed... Update needed!!! :mellow:

My gosh! I'm sorry Dave!!! And everyone else that my be quietly thinking the same...

So here's the verbal update, since I don't have pictures at the moment:

The radiance wrasse died. I was pretty bummed. I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm not built to keep fish. All of my corals are going off the hook and growing at a rediculous pace - fish... not so much.

I was at ARSA the other day and I got to talking to the guys about the stunning success that I have had with the my purple cap. They had a few caps that haven't been coloring up very quickly under their lights along with a couple other types. They just needed some different conditions to color up a bit. So, I offered to be a foster dad! Off I went with a few corals to perk up -

3 Monti caps - ora

Pink birdsnest

Blue, red and grey blasto

Two huge (in my tank) Acroporas

Purchased a clam and a truckload of snails.

Seems like there's more than that, but I'll have to count tomorrow when the lights are on and I can take pics.

Calcium and alk levels are still out of whack, and I need to constantly dose calcium to keep my fluctuations minimal. The fluctuations were ranging from 190 -440 and it has been pretty trying on the inhabitants. Diligence and constant calcium/KH testing seems to be keeping things in line. Good news on the Nitorgen cycle though! All levels are steady ZERO. Even the nitrates don't register these days. I am super happy about that.

So that's the brief update. I promise that I will post pictures soon!

Talk to you all soon.

EDIT: Just realized that I need to make it clear that the loss of my fish has been entirely my fault. All of the fish were perfectly happy and healthy for weeks (in a couple of cases months) at ARSA.

Man... Sorry to hear 'bout the fish bro!

Weird you keep loosing them...

Yeah. It's a real downer. I'll get it figured out sooner or later.

Well, here's the photo update. Two disclaimers:

I haven't taken anything out yet, so the tank looks like it's all piled in there - because it is. It's driving me nuts.

It's mid-week and work has been nuts. Weekends are cleaning time which is why the posts are usually on Sundays or Mondays. The tank usually looks better, but as promised, here are some quick pics....

My monti that I've had, and one of the three that I'm trying to color up.

10-22-08Montycompare.jpg

A pink bird's nest

10-22-08PinkNest.jpg

Not sure on the name of this acropora....

10-22-08Acro.jpg

A purple tort that needs some TLC

10-22-08purpletort.jpg

A blue, silver and orange blasto(?)

10-22-08redandblueblasto.jpg

My Squamosa clam!

10-22-08Clam.jpg

And the FTS of all the coral crazyness going on in my tank.

10-22-08FTS2.jpg

Is there really any question as to why my tank is a total calcium sink? Some of these kids have got to go!

More updates soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here's a FTS update. I'm off to Houston for the week, so cross your fingers that there's no issue with the tank.

I've been shuffling corals back and forth from the LFS, and when I get back, I need to focus on this tank again!! Hopefully I'll be able to dedicate some design time to it. That, and against my better judgment, I'm thinking about moving to a larger tank...

The FTS:

IMGP0263.jpg

Archived