ReefCleaners.org

Av8ffej's AquaPod 24 150MH

av8ffej

Thanks for the kind words! That meat coral is arguably the coolest one to watch. It's always changing!

Lights off feeding:

8-4-08Meatfeeding.jpg

Wow nice tank! Too bad about the fish. My clown has made it through everything while other stuff has died and what not.

I just recently put a 250W HQI over my aquapod so I have been looking into some SPS and other light loving coral.

That meat coral is my fav.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome AP man! Love the meat coral!

Thanks Kraylen! Big compliment coming from a big fish.

Wow, sweet looking tank! I really want one now...lol

Thanks Drog! Go get one already! :)

now im off to buy one....

Everyone loves the meat... 'cept the vegans.

Sorry, I had too.

UPDATE

All of my fish have died.

Gone. Passed on to a watery beyond.

Frantic water changes, testing, and quarantine tanks came to no avail. I finally broke down and went to A Red Sea Aquarium (ARSA my LFS) with a water sample and told them what had happened. They were shocked to hear the news, because they know how meticulous I am in the care of this and they have been with me on every selection involved with the tank.

When they started testing the water he was dumbfounded, because my nitrogen cycle numbers were –

Ammonia – 0

Nitrites – 0

Nitrates – trace

So everything was in line there. He said, "Well, I'm going to check your calcium." I told him that it was in line at 440 the last time I checked it a week ago. Much to our surprise, my alkalinity was in the toilet with the fish! It was 5. He went on to test the calcium, and it was off the chart – literally. It was likely 560-580! All this, while my Ph has stayed steady at 8.33.

While I'm not here to bash any test kits, and I certainly don't know from any sort of solid experience, I was informed that API test kits are not the best to get the whole picture on water quality. I don't want to start a whole debate on who's best and who's garbage here (save it for another thread), I will just say that I'm going to be changing my test kits out for another brand. Had I seen this one coming, I would have done what it takes to stop it in it's tracks. Problem is, apparently the calcium is the only good one API makes. Which would just make me a craptacular reefkeeper.

The remedy – I came home and immediately dosed with Kent Superbuffer dKH and the alkalinity went up to 7, and calcium dropped to 480. Another dose tomorrow morning and every subsequent, until it's in line.

I didn't tell anyone here in nano-reef about the saga because I was too afraid of being bashed by everyone about my horrible water quality and everything that I was doing wrong. The last thing I needed was to be kicked in the teeth after losing $300 worth of fish. As of yet, I haven't identified what could have made the calcium spike and consequently the alkalinity plummet. No clue. If I find out, I will let you all know. After talking to the guys at ARSA, they said "Really, you need to go to nano-reef and us and friends in the community and tell them what's going on. Someone out there may have the same situation and have answers. If nothing else, people can learn from it"

Thanks to them, you all have this long post. My summary of lessons learned:

• Calcium and Alkalinity need to be in harmony. Don't just test for one. Do both at the same time.
  • Knowing the nitrogen cycle is imperative, but not to the exclusion of your other water quality components
  • Not very confident in API tests.
  • Communicate with your reef community, even if it means someone is going to tell you you're an idiot.

If nothing else, this tank has taught me humility, patience and balance. I hope that this has helped a few of you in some way. I would hate to think that the loss of those great water kids at the hand of inexperience and circumstance was all for not.

For those of you that ask "What about all those great corals Jeff?!", fear not, they all seem to be no worse for the wear, except the Duncan seems to be having a tough time adjusting and I'm crossing my fingers that it will be ok when the buffer kicks in.

There aren't many positives, other than lessons learned. I suppose the one plus is that I can go and get some great tankmates that I was thinking about before I got the others…

Mystery wrasse? :huh:

I really like your favia? Is there a special name of that strain?

Thanks. I don't have a species name, but it's a 'reverse prism'. I'll see if I can't get something a little more specific for you on that.

No problemo. Where did you get it? I myself might be getting some new favia's. Don't know what kind though.

I got it at my LFS. I'm not sure if they got all set up to be a 'known shipper' yet, but they have another one that this one was fragged from that's about the size of your head (ok, maybe not that big). Beautiful piece. I'll check with them and see and PM ya.

Hey man, sorry about your fish. I hope you get it all stabilized and hope your corals make it. You got some nice ones in there! Good Luck!

Thanks. Everything is coming around. Dosed again this morning and this evening. 6 in the morning, 7 this evening and after this last batch 20 minutes ago, 10 and calcium is around 580. Things are getting back in line.

Dang Jeff, sorry to hear about your loses.. :( Hope your corals are all good. Shame to hear about the API kit, I was about to order one from drsfoster along with an Alk Salifert test kit. What test kits are you switching to?

Hi

I have been following your thread for sometime (fellow Aquapod 24) and was sad to hear about the fish loss. I have been doing marine aquariums (fish only) for a long time. I have had some corals in the past but the angle fish killed them. I bought the ap24 to start a nano reef (no angel fish for me this time).

I met Doctor Mac and I follow his parameters for corals etc. I thought you might want to to take a look at his reef school. He only recommends the salifert brand and this link explains his testing and theories on equipment etc. Maybe it will help? I hope so:

http://www.pacificeastaquaculture.com/Supplementation.aspx

Also, trying to remember but how much water change do you do? What are you feeding your fish? I change at least 10% every week and so far have not had to dose my tanks. Also, you have a leather in there right? Are you using any activated carbon?

No need to answer the questions, just some things to throw out there.

I love your thread and your tank.

Dang Jeff, sorry to hear about your loses.. :( Hope your corals are all good. Shame to hear about the API kit, I was about to order one from drsfoster along with an Alk Salifert test kit. What test kits are you switching to?

The only api kit that gives me a good read is the nitrite kit. The calcium one is the worse for me. After reading Doc Macs suggestions I am going with the Salifert too.

[edit]

I love your thread and your tank.

The only api kit that gives me a good read is the nitrite kit. The calcium one is the worse for me. After reading Doc Macs suggestions I am going with the Salifert too.

Thanks for following along, your help and your kind words! Sorry I'm so late in getting back to you. I finally have things in order with the tank. My calcium is around 430 - 440 and my alk is around 8-9 now so I'm just going to wait out the week and see if it stays stable after a water change.

I'm on vacation this next week, so in my idle time, I may accidentaly go to the LFS and accidentally buy a fish or two if they give me the go ahead. They just got a few fish in that I'm jazzed about. I'll keep you posted!

Hey bro... I'm really sorry about your losses!!!

But, I have ZERO doubt that you will be in top form in no time!!!

What did ARSA get in that has got you all excited about... DO TELL!!! ;)

Hey bro... I'm really sorry about your losses!!!

But, I have ZERO doubt that you will be in top form in no time!!!

What did ARSA get in that has got you all excited about... DO TELL!!! ;)

Thanks David. It hasn't been a high point in my short reefkeeping career. I didn't think that I'd get very bummed about loosing those fish, but I actually did. Thank you (and everyone else) for the kind thoughts. It's getting back on track.

As to ARSA and their new arrivals... Oh. Nothing. They didn't get anything in. There is nothing for you to see there... :P

LOL!!

They got a Grade A Picasso in that is one darn good looking kid. A mystery wrasse and a couple of others that, you can bet your wrasse, would look stellar in that Nano (or my AP) and they have some awesome acro's that I've been eying. When they get shipments in, it's often on Saturdays, so I'm going to be going in on Sunday to do some tank drooling. I'll keep you posted.

I've made some decisions on my fish. Today I went and got my requisite clown. I decided against boutique clowns. I've come to the conclusion that (for me) the snowflakes and Picassos aren't so dramatically impressive that I am willing to justify the difference in price. This is my attempt at talking myself out of high priced fish (until I buy the other three inhabitants).

Indulge me as I justify my reasoning while I introduce you to my newest water person. He/she is a humble tank raised clown. I just liked the slightly more unique markings.

9-16-08Clowndayone.jpg

I don't have any new coral additions, although in following Josh's (fishheaded) advice, I think it's time that I begin my journey to "start a garden" and get some zoas.

This week's FTS

9-16-08FTS.jpg

With that, I don't have a great deal to report other than after my traumatic last two weeks, the tank has shown to be stable for the moment and another lesson has been taken to heart. Amanda, you're money's no good here, but the Kenmore lanyard is! That's all I'm saying! To everyone else that're missing the inside jokes, I will try to be more diligent in my updates.

Sorry to hear about your trouble!! Was wondering if you were still using the media rack in the rear and if so how does it work out. If it works good, could you show some more pictures of it and how you sealed it off so the water doesnt just continue on to the rest of the chamber without filtration?

Thanks

Walt

Hey Jeff

OUCH sorry to read the last 3 pages I've missed (got sidetracked from salty fish for a bit) and seeing what you've been going thru. Bummer on the fish losses but glad corals hung thru the disaster. I love the new clown btw, neat markings.

I've been bad, lost 2 of 3 YCG (one in each tank) and today just did a massive cleaning of the AP (yes, sigh, neglect in maintenance). Lites don't come on for 3 hrs so hoping the corals and clam will forevegive me. The clown and ycg are not gasping at the surface so I have my fingers crossed.

I love the new (aug/sept) corals and wish I had the same rock set up that you do. Reading about your testing disasters scares the bejeepers outta me, I've got the same kits (but haven't tested in a while).

I've got fingers crossed that I havent' screwed up my tank parameters and that things won't be any worse for wear with the water change neglect (and change of salt mix) . Glad your tank seems to be on the right track.

Are you going to eventually add more fish and if so, what are you looking into?

Congrats on the new fish! Tank looks awesome!

Thanks! Fingers crossed!

At least summer's over and I don't have to worry about the temp. -_-

Good choice on the clown bro!!!

He/she is damn nice looking! I love the misbars!!!

Thanks David. I'm a big misbar fan myself. They're fish after my own heart... Not hooked up quite right. :P

Thanks! Fingers crossed!

At least summer's over and I don't have to worry about the temp. -_-

I don't know bro... Been pretty warm 'round here for the past week!

Sorry to hear about your trouble!! Was wondering if you were still using the media rack in the rear and if so how does it work out. If it works good, could you show some more pictures of it and how you sealed it off so the water doesnt just continue on to the rest of the chamber without filtration?

Thanks

Walt

Hey Walt, When I put the skimmer in there, I had to pull the eggcrate. It worked like a champ, although it wasn't the easiest piece of the equipment to pull, but in the grand scheme of things, not an issue. As far as sealing it off, I lined the side of it with glue and stretched plastic wrap over it. While it wasn't a perfect seal, it worked just fine. Not to give away tank secret plans (but here I go) I'm looking at creating a mini-refugium/sump in my cabinet and possibly doing Sea-horses or pipefish down there. But you didn't hear it from me... ;)

Hope that helps.

I don't know bro... Been pretty warm 'round here for the past week!

I know! I'm not complaining. That said, it just doesn't feel right to watch the Huskies in 80 degree weather! (Not that there's a vast amount of hope there) But the nights have been cool enough that the tank has been much happier.

Archived