SaltCritters.com

Av8ffej's AquaPod 24 150MH

av8ffej

AdriftQuasar

Your tank is coming along great! I really wish I had started with MH from the get go. Now I have to go and buy it. I like the way you write, very witty.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your tank is coming along great! I really wish I had started with MH from the get go. Now I have to go and buy it. I like the way you write, very witty.

Thanks AQ. That's a big compliment. I'm pretty happy with the MH, but as this is my first fish tank, I really don't know much different. I will say that this summer heat and that lamp are not a happy combo. We have six days of stupid hot here and we're smack in the middle of it. I'm about ready to float ro/di cubes and offer the Clowns gin and tonics. :D

Nice Jeff....got a ways to go but your'e getting there. LOL

I like the smaller pics (how do you do that??)

My tank looked pretty desolate for a long time...you need to get the stuff where one piece makes your eyes open. For me its mushrooms and frogspawn/hammer and you know about the toadie.

Now that parameters are looking good it shouldn't be too long before the tanks exploding with color and corals.

Thanks Ellen!

When I upload the pics to Photobucket, if I upload as "Medium" (320 x 240) and then do the direct link, they show up that size. Probably loads a little faster...

Yeah, I'm kinda feeling the monti guys for the splash of color, but the mushrooms are growing on me. (I'm full of puns tonight! How irritating!) I can feel the desolation ebbing away though. As spartan as the tank is, with a couple of corals in there, it doesn't feel like I've been pouring my account out on the abyssal plain. (see!)

I'm going to stop while I'm behind. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Photobucket not Facebook. Jeeze! :)

This week brought some great corals and some interesting rock rearranging. I must say, a birthday week has its benefits in reef keeping. The purchase of the skimmer was anti-climactic, as I have yet to take ownership of the working one yet. I’m excited to start skimming, but patience and perseverance being what they are…

I went to ARSA (my lfs) and selected something rather mundane, but with nice color to brighten up the tank. A couple of blue/purple mushrooms on a well purpled piece of LR:

7-5-08Bluemushroomdayone-1.jpg

I also selected a coral that I was less than impressed with when I got it home. It didn’t have the wow that it did under the actenics and it was WSU colors, and no self respecting Seattle boy can grow Cougar colors!

7-5-08Closedbraindayone3-1.jpg

When I took it back, I had two corals in mind that were a must. A brown and yellow scroll and a bubblegum chalice; one of which I returned to my abode with, one I decided to wait on.

The chalice:

7-6-08chalice1.jpg

The scroll was just too large of a piece for my humble water drop, so I opted for an ORA Spongodes that had caught my eye unique in it’s potential – plate coral with horn projections:

7-5-08spongode1.jpg

In the process of selection, there was a green ‘shroom that I thought would set off the purple clan. This picture was shortly after moving, so it was frustrated. It's much happier since this picture:

7-6-08mushrooms.jpg

The final addition for the week were a couple of flora acquisitions to the ends of some balance – a mangrove (no pics – sequestered in chamber one) and some codium that nestles quite nicely semi-out of sight behind my LR. If I had a larger display, I would ponder the possibility of a clip and putting it in a more conspicuous locale.

7-6-08codium.jpg

And so after my journeys to and from the store, we come to this week’s FTS!

Before turning the rocks:

7-5-08FTS.jpg

After rock turn to maximize top shelf space for SPS pieces:

7-6-08FTS1.jpg

These FTSs turned out a shy of doing the residents justice. The tank feels like it's starting to take on some character. With prodding, I may post some other pics this week.

This next week is likely to bring the skimmer and the possibility of the shrimp that I so longingly desire. In my studies of the shrimp people, I’m finding that all of the options other than a cleaner have detractors that I’m not particularly fond of. Too easy to eat, too bitter and angry (e.g. jadedexius shrompus), too small, too large, uninteresting or full of coral prejudice. I have no time for intolerant attitudes, leave alone in my invertebrates!

I’ll keep you posted.

glennr1978

If I were you I would slow down a bit. Also, you really need to reconsider that pseudochromis, especially if you want to keep shrimp in the tank. Otherwise, you're off to a good start.

If I were you I would slow down a bit. Also, you really need to reconsider that pseudochromis, especially if you want to keep shrimp in the tank. Otherwise, you're off to a good start.

I understand, and I'm going to take it easy for the next few weeks, let everyone get settled in and wait for the next shipment to drool over. What I really need to do (and have been largely unsuccessful) is to wait for the pieces that really speak to me. A self regulator - of sorts.

Good reminder about the pseudo, I have since changed my mind on him after doing more reading. I'm looking for an attractive young lass or lad that will play well with other children (boned and no-bone), have some showtime personality and is able to live in the smaller water apartment.

Enough anthropomorphizing. lol

Thanks for the complement and input!

Hey all!

I made some living additions to the tank this week and one of the inanimate variety. I have no idea why I have been compelled to get the brown and yellow scroll coral that my LFS has, but they fragged it and I went home with a non-descript piece of brown coral that is going to take some time before we see the glory that it can be. I like to think of it as "project coral." And speaking of project coral, they had pointed out the duncans that were waving away in the tank. I like them, but I hadn't been overwhelmed with a compulsion to part with $25 per head - they all had 5+ - for the honor to have a duncan in the tank. But whoa! There it was! Battered in shipping, a 1.5 head duncan (the second head was split and flopping off the side) sat languishing on the side of a frag. So I got a wee little duncan for a song. And I can't even sing! :)

Here they are:

Project Scroll

7-15-08Scroll1stweek.jpg

Project Duncan (and evidence that I need to go buy a camera)

7-15-08Ducan1stweek.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the two additions. I had received a gift card for $100 for the old b-day because no one dared bring unapproved water people. That in addition to payday, led me to make more additions than anticipated this week. After moving those guys into the tank, I went back to get the funky meat coral that I had been on the fence about...

Meat head:

7-15-08Brain1stweek.jpg

I'm sorry that these pictures are blurry/bad. You can always tell the weeks that I absconded with my mother's camera. The pictures turn out far crisper. One of these weeks, I'm going to do my weekly update and it'll look like there's something worth looking at!!

So the final creature that joined the pool party was...

A cleaner shrimp!!!

ShrimpBrain.jpg

The blue plug on the left is the first cutting from the xenia that has taken off like nuts. There is no question that attention has to be paid on those things so as to keep them from growing all over the place. I'm glad that I have the main one on a LR island. Clip. Carry on soldier.

Along with all of the additions, I added the skimmer this weekend. There's nothing like trying to get a skimmer to work when you aren't really sure how it should be set up. I understood the principal and what the result was supposed to be... Just not how to do it. One of the guys at ARSA offered to help get it set up for me, but it is way out of the way on his commute so I told him I'd get it set. After two skimmer cups full of thin green liquid, phone calls to the LFS, and plenty of adjusting, I think I have it set to do the real action, but we'll see as the week progresses. If Capricorn and Pisces are in alignment, we'll see if I get some goo. ;)

Here is a top down of the Pacific Coast skimmer in the AP24 on the off chance someone feels like putting one in:

Skimmer1.jpg

And the thin green liquid:

Skimmer2.jpg

And that's it for the week's update! ARSA is getting their new shipments in this week. Yesterday, today and tomorrow. Wow - it sure isn't easy to stay away! I may have to welcome the new critters to Seattle. I think it would be rude not to make them feel welcome... Don't you?!

Here's this week's FTS so you can see the updates:

7-15-08FTS1.jpg

Let me know what you all think!

Thanks everyone!!!

Update!

Wow what a week!!! I got some great corals, a new fish, and (drum roll) a camera that takes pretty good pictures!! So this is going to be a full picture post!

All of the shipments came into ARSA this week and it was a frenzy to get at all of those awesome specimens!!! Brad and Rob (owners) did a fantastic job of ordering some spectacular corals and fish. It was pretty much unhinged. Love it!

I kinda went a little overboard on the tank this week. I am putting myself on restriction for the next few weeks because:

1. My checkbook says so
  2. The tank is starting to look ok
  3. I have been introducing too much bio-load
  4. My checkbook says so
  5. See 1 and 4

Here's a list of my new water folks:

Purple and orange acan

Blue tort

Tri-colored sps of some sort

Micro-frag of a green ORA piece

Feather duster

Wrasse

So just to give you an idea as to what the new inexpensive cameras can do these days:

Mouthy Brain:

7-21-08Brainmouth.jpg

Close up shrimp!

7-21-08Shrimp.jpg

My clowns are changing colors – starting to look more like the Picassos that they are:

7-21-08Clown1.jpg

Now the new kids on the water block:

Acan

7-20-08Acan1stweek.jpg

Acan close up:

7-20-08Acan.jpg

Blue Tort

7-20-08Tort.jpg

Green Birdsnest

7-20-08greenbirdsnest.jpg

Tri-color deal (polyps are super green when they come out)

7-20-08tricolorfirstweek.jpg

Duster

7-20-08Duster.jpg

You bet your Wrasse!

7-21-08Wrasseweek1.jpg

So those are the new additions. I think that any update I have for the next couple of weeks will be mighty minimal. Unless of course I have a total meltdown and buy the red chalice that screams my name every time I walk into ARSA…. I'll leave it at that this week, I may post some more pictures as the week progresses, as I do have a new toy….

Oh! I almost forgot! This week's FTS!

7-21-08Feeding1.jpg

Hey fellow Washingtonian. Did you get all your livestock from a LFS in Bellevue. If so what one? We have a nice one in Sumner but they dont have a whole lot to choose from. I have heard of one in Tacoma but have not wondered over there yet. Your tank looks fantastic by the way.

Hey fellow Washingtonian. Did you get all your livestock from a LFS in Bellevue. If so what one? We have a nice one in Sumner but they dont have a whole lot to choose from. I have heard of one in Tacoma but have not wondered over there yet. Your tank looks fantastic by the way.

:welcome:

Thanks for your kind words! I have been very loyal to A Red Sea Aquarium (ARSA) in Shoreline. I know it isn't very close to you, but if you have the chance, I HIGHLY recomend that you get in there to check out their selection. They got a shipment in this last weekend that was amazing, and still have quite a few pieces in, and I'll let you know when they get another. The owners, Brad and Rob, are awesome.

I would be remiss in not recommending that you check our Barrier Reef in Renton, it's closer for you, and a nice store. They're great people. Actualy went to high school with one of the owners - great guy. Saltwater City is the Bellevue store. I wasn't particularly impressed, and the prices seemed on the high side (as one would expect in Bellevue), I don't know that I'd bother. I'd much sooner drive to go to ARSA anyday!

This is my favorite nano site, but if you want to get a raft of Seattle folks, check out Reef Frontiers. It is nationwide, but it was started by a guy in Mukilteo. Most of the local LFSs are sponsors there. That, and it seems that the epicenter of reef in W. Washington is Puyallup. Go figure.

Talk to ya soon!

Ya know. I gotta get a piece of plastic for the intake too. So all that is holding it up is suction?

Yup! The nano doesn't hurt, but suction alone does the trick.

On your advice I called up Barrier Reef to order some Chaeto. Since UPS/FedEx do next day ground delivery in the area, he (forgot the guys name) is going to ship it Monday for $5. Thats cheaper than a couple gallons of gas to get up there. Definitely got me interested in their place though. When its time to get some frags, I think we will be going up there. Thanks for the recommendation!

Just had to say, your tank is looking awesome bro.

Thanks FH! You made my week! It's really nice to hear some words of encouragement.

Barrier is known for their SPS selection, so I think you'll be pleased with some of the stuff you can get. Just a little FYI, ARSA is getting another shipment in this Saturday since they had such a frenzy last weekend. If you can round up the troops, it may be worth a scoot around the Puget Sound to hit both of them.

On your advice I called up Barrier Reef to order some Chaeto. Since UPS/FedEx do next day ground delivery in the area, he (forgot the guys name) is going to ship it Monday for $5. Thats cheaper than a couple gallons of gas to get up there. Definitely got me interested in their place though. When its time to get some frags, I think we will be going up there. Thanks for the recommendation!

Nice looking tank. I'm looking to upgrade to a AP24 when the funds permit it (I have a BioCube 8 right now).

Walking into ARSA is dangerous for me. I can only fit so much into the little tank.

Nice looking tank. I'm looking to upgrade to a AP24 when the funds permit it (I have a BioCube 8 right now).

Walking into ARSA is dangerous for me. I can only fit so much into the little tank.

Thanks Dave! I know the feeling about walking in there, I'm going this afternoon. Scared and excited all at once! :P

Hey, on the upgrade deal, I may be looking at a move in the near future and have been trying to figure out what to do with the tank. I have been toying with the idea of just purchasing a new tank in the new city, so maybe you and I can talk.

I have had requests for larger pictures to see the tank a little better. Let me know if the larger (640x480) pictures are too much, and I'll move back to the smaller versions. I'm snaphappy with the new camera, so I'm going to step up my picture posting.

There is a curious happening with my acan. Small areas are discolored with bright green patches. The interesting part is that the patches (in bewteen heads) have mouths! Is this something that anyone else has run into? Did I just not do my acan research well enough, or have I run into the 'acan anomaly'? Invasive coral on coral? Hopefully the pictures will help.

The whole piece:

7-21-08Acanmask.jpg

Macro shot of the green area/mouth

7-24-08greenonacancopy.jpg

Beats me. If anyone has thoughts on this one, let me know. I'm sorry that the pic doesn't completely convey the issue, but that little mouth on it opens and closes doing it's little thing...

I've decide that I would like to get a few zoas to fill in some of the spaces, and despite the fact that I'm not a huge pink fan, I thought that these were a little out of the ordinary and might make a nice simple addition to the rockwork. What I would like to do is add a few unique color zoas to round out the tank as time moves on. Here's the pink ones -

7-24-08pinkZoa1.jpg

One of the last pictures I'll do right now is a closer picture of the green mushroom that started out a little smaller than a quarter about a week and a half ago. It is now larger than a half dollar. You can also see it in the FTS down in front.

7-24-08Supershroom.jpg

Here is the FTS in a larger shot for those that requested it:

7-24-08FTS.jpg

Thanks!

Tanks looking great!!!! Very nice diversity! I took a trip up to Barrier Reef today with the misses. Got 3 frags for $30. I asked him what stuff would be the hardest to kill and he hooked us up with 3. Got a fire shrimp too! Check it out when you got a sec.

Well here we are. After two weeks of shipments into my LFS and a major tumble in my tank, I think I'm back on solid ground. I will go into the fallout in another post, possibly later tonight, but it was a real hair pulling experience.

This weeks joiners –

Blue Spotted Jawfish

Green sea mat

Acro – unidentified

Sun Coral

Green Monti Cap

It seems like there are more than that, but maybe the sucking sound on my bank account is what makes it seem that way.

To the pictures!

This is an update on the Duo and their transformation into adulthood and higher grade Picassos -

7-27-08Clowncolorchange.jpg

One of my goals is to have a multi-colored monti rock, so I got a green monti this week. I have not yet gone to the effort of getting another rock for them and putting them together. It seems a far too ambitious task for this weekend.

7-27-08GreenCap1.jpg

And another angle:

7-27-08GreenCap2.jpg

If anyone wants to throw in an ID on this acropora, I would really appreciate it -

7-27-08Acrounknown.jpg

I was going to wait on the Sun Coral until I got back in town from this upcoming trip (three days to one week), but I have been wanting one since I started the tank, so I just went for it. Green Sea mat in foreground.

7-27-08SunCoral-seamat.jpg

Now here is a guy with a ton of personality. I was back and forth on this one, but college colors and uniqueness won out. I'm proud to introduce the Bluespotted Jawfish - Embry

7-27-08Embry.jpg

He's managed to clean out his spot in the rocks, and invited the wrasse in to share the hole. He's not just a community fish, he's a party animal. I'll have better pictures of him soon.

And this Sunday FTS -

7-27-08FTS1.jpg

The wrasse and Embry are to the right of the Sun Coral. That's their hole/condo.

More to come soon.

Here they are. The first pics of the new guy! It takes feeding time for him to adventure out of his condo, and then it is brief at best. I know it's a matter of time before he's just as bold as the Picassos, but as it is right now, I can't picture him doing the Russian gymnast leaps with carpet surfing. Given that he's the most expensive labor in the tank, I don't really care to see the acrobatic display...

First shot is the clearest -

7-28-08Embry1.jpg

Here he is making his way in the world to grab a bite to eat. Look at that shrimp and wrasse! Right there in to strike at a moment's notice! Ah the danger... :P

7-28-08Embry2.jpg

And here's a picture with the corner of the tanks and other inhabitants so you can get a better idea of size. I was kinda surprised at how big he is. Sorry about the camera hungry snail on the glass in the pictures. Didn't even notice him until just now. Prima donna.

7-28-08Embry3.jpg

I'll have more pics in a bit!

Everyone loves pictures right?!

I went back out to the tank and the Sun Coral was polyping out - with the lights on. I think that's a sign of a happy coral, correct me if I'm wrong.

So here it is -

7-28-08SunCoral2.jpg

From these pictures, you'd think these things were the size of a car... Drives me crazy to look at other peoples pics and wonder "How big is that coral?"

About the size of a small dish sponge. lol Go with it. :)

Nice :) New additions look great. I always wanted a sun coral, but I am too lazy to care for them the way they should be cared for.

Edit: Are you just spot feeding it with a baster?

Nice :) New additions look great. I always wanted a sun coral, but I am too lazy to care for them the way they should be cared for.

Edit: Are you just spot feeding it with a baster?

Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to go pick up some different food this weekend (I'm trying to stay away from the fish store for more than three days). They haven't really been putting out the polyps much, I think they're still settling in so I haven't been too concerned with it just yet.

You putting up pictures on your thread today?

Of topic - BUMP Anyone out there have any ideas on the "green mouth" thing on the acan?

This week was an unfortunate for anything coral in my tank. I spilled glue on my blue tort, the tri-color has turned brown, and the fiji seems to have black spots on it. Otherwise, everyone seems happy! :P

Yesterday, I went to the store and got a new piece. It's a orange/red lobo that looks great and has a ton of potential -

8-4-08Lobofirstweek.jpg

As with the other water kids, I'll keep everone posted on this guy.

Today is the two month mark on my tank!!! Yee haw! If I get up the energy to post a sequence for the eight weeks tonight, I'll do so. Otherwise, I'll save it for tomorrow.

Yippee!

Archived