Top Shelf Aquatics

Av8ffej's AquaPod 24 150MH

av8ffej

Hey Walt, When I put the skimmer in there, I had to pull the eggcrate. It worked like a champ, although it wasn't the easiest piece of the equipment to pull, but in the grand scheme of things, not an issue. As far as sealing it off, I lined the side of it with glue and stretched plastic wrap over it. While it wasn't a perfect seal, it worked just fine. Not to give away tank secret plans (but here I go) I'm looking at creating a mini-refugium/sump in my cabinet and possibly doing Sea-horses or pipefish down there. But you didn't hear it from me... ;)

Hope that helps.

I know! I'm not complaining. That said, it just doesn't feel right to watch the Huskies in 80 degree weather! (Not that there's a vast amount of hope there) But the nights have been cool enough that the tank has been much happier.

Agreed... I'm not complaining! B)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been bad, lost 2 of 3 YCG (one in each tank) and today just did a massive cleaning of the AP (yes, sigh, neglect in maintenance).

I love the new (aug/sept) corals and wish I had the same rock set up that you do. Reading about your testing disasters scares the bejeepers outta me, I've got the same kits (but haven't tested in a while).

Are you going to eventually add more fish and if so, what are you looking into?

I'm sorry to hear about the fish Ellen! I know that feeling. Sucks.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm pretty happy with the way it's shaping up, athough it has some maturing ant tweaking to go. That rock work that you love drives me crazy. No particular reason, but I guess we can just chalk it up to neurotic. As far as the tests go, I'll change up to Salifert or Red Sea as I finish up with these APIs. For the most part, they seem to match up with the LFS tests, I just don't think they have the accuracy that I would like.

As to fish - I would really like the long nose hawk although there's compatability issues with the shrimp. The mystery wrasse is looking prety good, and the blue spotted jawfish will be coming back. He was such a hit with everyone that saw the tank, it's an absolute must. I would actually walk into the room and find people (otherwise sane) talking to him. I like the swissguard basslet and Bartlet's anthias. The short answer is - not sure. We'll see what three friends the clown ends up with.

You have the MH version.. im all kinds of jealous..

Aquapods FTW

Yours is looking amazing thus far... I will be watching your thread for sure ^_^

You have the MH version.. im all kinds of jealous..

Aquapods FTW

Yours is looking amazing thus far... I will be watching your thread for sure ^_^

Jeeze, thanks Katie! :blush:

After you problems, did you stop using API test kits? If so what are you using now? I started using Seachem after reading they were better but then I read that Seachem are not very accurate.

I was reading that this is the first time in 6 years that all our football teams are 0-2, Huskies, Cougs, and Hawks. I thinks its the weather.

After you problems, did you stop using API test kits? If so what are you using now? I started using Seachem after reading they were better but then I read that Seachem are not very accurate.

I was reading that this is the first time in 6 years that all our football teams are 0-2, Huskies, Cougs, and Hawks. I thinks its the weather.

I'm almost done with the APIs, so I'm finishing them up. After that, I think I'm going to move to Red Sea. I got there Alk test, and its pretty slick. My other option is to get the LaMotte tests, which I'm seriously considering.

As to the teams, I'll join you and go with the weather. It's preferable to the likely reality - they all suck. lol

Woot woot! zoa garden on the way! :) Great pick on the clown!

Ok Josh, you'd be proud. Just picked up four types of zoas and one type of paly. Some kind of Apple dog hair sunset reverse death war picket fence upside down Mikes vomit haircurler people cooker zoas.

Joking aside, all the random zoa names drive me crazy. All told, there are 30-40 polyps. The things are so small! I'll post pictures in a few when they open up and we can see what colors they are in the tank. Now I just need to figure out how and where to attach these buggers...

Stay tuned.

Glue them to the glass!

Wow you're fast Bag! How about I glue them dead center of the front glass of the display?! LOL

I got them to start filling in the blank spots on the main rock, so off to the Depot to get putty epoxy...

I had just logged on when you posted. I was thinking the sides or back. hahaha I got some frags coming from AltisReef soon so maybe I will glue mine to the glass and see what happens. :lol:

Here come the pictures!!!

Some of these are alright, some of them mediocre. I really wish I could get a handle on the camera thing. I know that it really is a matter of time, testing and learning. I just don't find cameras nearly as interesting as avionics. Go figure.

Ok, without further ado, the first four are some of the new zoas and palys. They aren't fully open, but I'm excited to get some pix up.

The new pink palys with green centers - they look like the "Pink Lemonade" on Vivid aquarium.

9-17-08Pinkpalys.jpg

The first of the green zoas with purple

9-17-08greenandpurplezoa.jpg

The other green zoa with purple

9-17-08greenzoa.jpg

And the "Fire and Ice" zoas (these are pinhead size! sorry about the quality)

9-17-08fireandicezoa.jpg

And here's a few pics that I just felt like throwing up here-

Shrimp and Shroom. (I swear this shroom grows 10% per week. can't tell in the pic)

9-17-08ShrimpandShroom.jpg

Close up of the ORA Duncan

9-17-08Duncan.jpg

And that's it for the moment!

NOICE!!!! Dang already got more zoas then me haha. All looks good!!

Thanks. Now all I need to do is get the little beasts anchored down! I'll save that for tomorrow.

Last night I got a call from the roommate. It was one of those calls where your hear a word, and the space no matter how tiny, before the next... allows for an entire paragraph of information to swim in your head.

"Hey Jeff, your aquarium..."

In the eternity of pregnant pause, I had many things occurring to the tank in my head. All of which, you reefers understand, I need not explain any further.

"...is making a horrible noise."

Ok, horrible noise I can do. What horrible noise? So he holds the phone up to it. Yeah. Not unlike diagnosing kidney stones with special sunglasses and a Mr. Microphone. Once I had ascertained that there was no smoke, I told him to just unplug it - I was on my way home anyway. "No, I want you to hear this, so I'll leave it on. I'll see you in a minute." Great. I thought. If anything gets fried on the tank, anything can be replaced. Please don't let it be the lights. It wasn't. The needlewheel pump on the skimmer had frozen up and cooked itself. $20.

Today, I went to the LFS and picked up a new one and we're back in business. But there I was, in the fish store, just looking around. We all know where that kind of nonsense behavior leaves us! That's right! Fish in hand, I went home to acclimate a new friend for the clown…

Here is the new tankmate:

9-19-08BlackClownday1.jpg

They are so wiggley, it's tough to get a good snap of them. My concerns about them not getting along was shown to be foolish:

9-19-08Clownsday1.jpg

They are inseperable! A little requisite butt kicking at feeding time, just to let everyone know who is in charge of this food program, but otherwise they act like they have known each other for ages.

The shrimp on the other hand, is out to get both of them:

9-19-08PeskyShrimp.jpg

Tonight was also "The Trimming of the Xenia." They sure do smell like a low tide. Stinky. I had had it with how unruly it had become, so out with the razor blade and glue.

Here's the trimmed back mother colony:

9-19-08Xeniamothercolony.jpg

And the angry offshoots:

9-19-08AngryXenia.jpg

The lights had gone out for these pics, sorry. I know it's difficult to determine size, but this creature has become unruly and needed a good shearing. This piece stands about 4" when you turn off the flow. I would be more concerned about the discoloration and anger, if Xenia weren't the fastest growing, bullet proof coral on the planet.

Ok, that's it for tonight!

Scared me for a second bro, thought something much worse when I started reading the post. Sorry to hear about the skimmer but glad to hear you didnt loose any livestock! :) That new B&W clown is dope! Your clowns looked the same except different colors. Good score on the misbar clowns. and those xenias do stink dont they! wooh...golly... :lol:

Scared me for a second bro, thought something much worse when I started reading the post. Sorry to hear about the skimmer but glad to hear you didnt loose any livestock! :) That new B&W clown is dope! Your clowns looked the same except different colors. Good score on the misbar clowns. and those xenias do stink dont they! wooh...golly... :lol:

Didn't mean to scare ya, just wanted to recreate the moment. It was no big deal. Some filter floss and I'm good to go. I honestly don't know how effective that skimmer is, but I religiously dump the weak tea out of it every couple of days.

You make me laugh. Not that I spend much time sniffing my corals, but no other transfer is nearly as... aromatic. :eek: Smells like the south end of a north bound fish.

Didn't mean to scare ya, just wanted to recreate the moment. It was no big deal. Some filter floss and I'm good to go. I honestly don't know how effective that skimmer is, but I religiously dump the weak tea out of it every couple of days.

You make me laugh. Not that I spend much time sniffing my corals, but no other transfer is nearly as... aromatic. :eek: Smells like the south end of a north bound fish.

Haha, I read that xenia is one of the few corals that smell out of water, so when I was trimming/fragging, I couldn't resist. Plus touching it underwater will even stink up your hand :lol: (Don't worry I'm not a weirdo who takes corals out of tanks and smells em :D:blush::ninja: )

I'm making an attempt to go with more picture posts. Way more entertaining than my jabbering! I went and got some new zoas yesterday to round out the rocks. I think I'm done shopping for corals for the time being, until I can get another tank. I don't happen to ascribe to the pack a tank full of stuff for the sake of packing mentality. It's just that I keep finding things I like! Oh well. New zoas:

9-20-08Zoamacro.jpg

A picture of them in the tank for reference:

9-20-08zoafirstday.jpg

The dynamic crazies in action:

9-20-08Partners.jpg

I didn't look to see if I did a macro of the clove in an earlier post, but here it is:

9-20-08CloveMacro.jpg

I'll take a FTS later and add a picture of the Oregon Blue tort to show the recovery. It's actually looking pretty good after the glue accident, but I find that my camera isn't capturing the deep blue. Pictures do it no justice. I'll try again later.

Mine came with a glass top.

Thats an awesome looking clove Jeff. I was hoping to get one the last time I went to Barrier but ended up with the plate and Xenia instead. I still got a spot saved for one if you ever frag yours! hehehe

FTS bumpity bump bump bump

Smelling corals? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

I used to have a christmas tree leather in a 30 gallon, it smelled of herbs and spices, very nice.

This may sound stupid, but does the AP 24G HQI come with a glass top or did you have to buy one

Doesn't sound stupid at all. I had the exact same question and, in fact, ordered another just in case. The stars were in alignment because they were backordered and...

It came with one.

Archived