Top Shelf Aquatics

15 gal Coldwater Dual Biotope

Jamie

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another vacation?

For crying out loud, man!

Hey, Mexico was a service trip and you know it. It was free for that reason, too. And it's not like I'm working, just waiting for school to start, but yeah, this was an especially busy summer.

And in WAY more important news,

OMG I GOT URTICINA GREBELNYI!!!!!!!! Yeah, I'm excited. It's a big one too, a perfect tank centerpiece. And there's more. I also found an itty bitty pipefish, which I (against my better judgement) brought home as well. He's maybe three inches long, and ADORABLE. I'm gonna pick up some bbs tomorrow and see how he feels about those. If that doesn't work, I'm going to the beach next weekend, so I'll get some live plankton to tide him over till I get him eating something else. Plus, my lfs sells life rotifers and other planktony things, so I should be set, for a while at least.

Camp was pretty awesome, because of the location, but some of the people were kind of insane. One kid actually tried to kill another (he got sent home) and there was this girl who was addicted to every drug imaginable, plus she got a kidney infection while on the trip, so an ambulance had to come. And, only, like, two other people there were actually interested in marine biology, despite the fact that the camp description said "serious science students only." :rolleyes: But, despite the drama, it was still and awesome trip.

And, if you're wondering why there aren't any pictures, school starts tomorrow, and I just got home a few hours ago, so I'm a *little* busy. But soon! :)

-Jamie

omgomgomg indeed. Exciting! I can't wait for pictures, and that doesn't even make sense, because I could take them anytime (but the lights are off, so they'd have to be night shots).

what group buy? living in la jolla, the temp here is like 70-75 year round. plus i got a chiller and a 1/2in thick tank im dying to tinker with

They are, but they do include shipping, which helps a little. I think you should try it. What size tank is it?

Dshnarw- yeah, it was kind of rediculous. Not exactly what you'd expect at a science camp. The kid who freaked out was kind of delusional, and thought he was like, super powerful and could kill you in an instant, but in reality, he was just a wimpy little kid, so it was more like just a fight where he chased the other kid around for a while until one of the counselors came. Still scary though :unsure:

But anyways, I got urticina pics! yay!

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0015-2.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

I also decided I needed a new signature, since I haven't had either of those anemones for over a year, and I don't even have a tropical tank anymore, so I'm leaving it up to you guys to decide. I may add more if I get pics I think would look good, but these two are all for now.

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

By the way, those both had the color messed with a little, but I figure it doesn't matter cause it's just a sig and all.

-Jamie

They are, but they do include shipping, which helps a little. I think you should try it. What size tank is it?

Dshnarw- yeah, it was kind of rediculous. Not exactly what you'd expect at a science camp. The kid who freaked out was kind of delusional, and thought he was like, super powerful and could kill you in an instant, but in reality, he was just a wimpy little kid, so it was more like just a fight where he chased the other kid around for a while until one of the counselors came. Still scary though :unsure:

DSC_0016-1.jpg

I like this one better^^^

Those would be the kids that bring guns to school...or become astrophysicists ;)

omgomgomg

Maybe I'll put my Urticina sig back up, lol. Remember the good old days. ;)

Rocks = boring; urticina = interesing. Then again, you don't have an Urticina in your tank, so it would be false advertising.

I like this one better^^^

Those would be the kids that bring guns to school...or become astrophysicists ;)

Haha, indeed. Thanks for the input.

In other news, I have determine that the Urticina hates surge, I don't know if it's the high flow, or the bubbles produced, or maybe both, but what ever the reason, it gets really po'ed whenever the surge is on. This is not fantastic, because it does not physically fit into the top tank, and even if it did, I couldn't put it there because of the pipefish. By the way, that tank will be going back to the original planned eelgrass biotope, for the sake of the pipefish. So I need to figure out somoething to do with the anemone. I might just hook up a little five gallon on the side, just for this nem, and maybe a symbiotic shrimp or two. If anyone has a better/mor reasonable idea, let me know.

I got the pipefish some live brine shrimp today. I would have done baby brine, but the fish store didn't have any. Despite the fact that they were way to big, the pipefish still attacked them, and bit peices off quite a few. I also threw in some cyclopeez, but he only was interested in the stuff that moved. I'll see if I can find bbs tomorrow, and will keep trying with the cyclopeez.

-Jamie

12x16x12 AIO. 1/2in acrylic. I have a chiller and the ambient air here is very mild. Plus, I get free filtered saltwater which comes at about 55-60F. Perhaps I will wait until you guys propagate your specimens and the prices drop a bit B)

12x16x12 AIO. 1/2in acrylic. I have a chiller and the ambient air here is very mild. Plus, I get free filtered saltwater which comes at about 55-60F. Perhaps I will wait until you guys propagate your specimens and the prices drop a bit B)

Sounds awesome. Definitely do it. Though if you want strawberries, it'll be a while, since no one's getting very many.

Getting rid of an anemone, eh?

:flower:

yeah, no. Just an excuse to get a new tank! :) But I don't I think I'll be getting the one from foreshores now, since I already have one and all, so... you could get that one! And I got more pictures!

Macros this time.

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

And a night shot:

DSC_0034.jpg

-Jamie

Grebelnyi (aka crassicornis) for sure. The green and red mottled column is a dead giveaway. I'll get a pic tomorrow if you like.

http://actiniaria.com/urticina_grebelnyi.php

"The typical specimens of Urticina grebelnyi are large, about 20 cm high, with the cylindrical column about 15 cm diameter, and crown of the tentacles up to 25 cm diameter or more. Occasionally much larger specimens occur, up to 50 cm high." :o

-Jamie

Interesting. Mine were the same species, but the tentacles were always much shorter. I had pretty strong flow in that tank though, that could be why.

Maybe - has he entered the contest in the Lounge yet?

:P

:D

Nope he didn't want all of the attention, but if you look around on the site I bet you could find a couple of pics of us together.

Have you? ;):D

:D

Nope he didn't want all of the attention he didn't feel like embarrassing himself, but if you look around on the site I bet you could find a couple of pics of us together.

Have you? ;):D

Archived