SaltCritters.com

15 gal Coldwater Dual Biotope

Jamie

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mynameskenny19

Hey Jamie, I was looking at your other thread and man, that tank is awesome!!! I wanna set a tank up like that in my room now! Hey, 1 question though: How long do the catalina gobies live and what temp do they need? Sweet tank man!

Oh nice! It is very kind of you to help me out! I plan on finding some nice insulation at home depot tomorrow, the styrofoam only works so well (its about 68 right now 6:30 PM EST), but it goes down at night. Maybe we can set some sort of shipping deal up! Let me know!

-Pat

Sounds good. I won't be around until september, which is when we're doing the group buy from foreshores, but pm me for further info.

depending on the size of the rock, drill it out with a rock drill. works good for weight reduction and gives critters some homes.

Intersting idea. The fact that the tank is so small means that weight probably won't be an issue, and I don't have a rock drill, but could come in handy if I ever have a lager tank.

Hey Jamie, I was looking at your other thread and man, that tank is awesome!!! I wanna set a tank up like that in my room now! Hey, 1 question though: How long do the catalina gobies live and what temp do they need? Sweet tank man!

Yeah, the zeroedge was pretty cool, too bad it didn't work that well. I'll have to make a new version sometime, because it was awesome looking. I don't really know about Catalina's lifespan, i would guess ten years-ish? that seems to be typical for most fish. I would say definitely no higher than 70, but the colder the better.

-Jamie

dahliaheartsyou

Ok, so I just read this whole thing...

WOW.

This is so unique, beautiful, and natural looking!!!

I love those barnacles!!!

And the pic of the urchin hiding under the rock made me laugh!

Mynameskenny19

Yeah, the zeroedge was pretty cool, too bad it didn't work that well. I'll have to make a new version sometime, because it was awesome looking. I don't really know about Catalina's lifespan, i would guess ten years-ish? that seems to be typical for most fish. I would say definitely no higher than 70, but the colder the better.

-Jamie

How come it didn't work well? That sucks man! You should make it bigger when you make the new version!

Like 24x24x24! And thats a pretty good lifespan for the Catalina. I heard the trimma goby only likes for a year or so. Glad the Catalina lives longer cuz Im going to buy one in a while. Thanks for the info Jamie!

Sounds good. I won't be around until september, which is when we're doing the group buy from foreshores, but pm me for further info.

Okay, will do. Consider one sent :)

Ok, so I just read this whole thing...

WOW.

This is so unique, beautiful, and natural looking!!!

I love those barnacles!!!

And the pic of the urchin hiding under the rock made me laugh!

Thanks! Yeah, the urchins are funny. They try to camouflage themselves, but don't realize that it's useless because they're bright purple. :happy:

How come it didn't work well? That sucks man! You should make it bigger when you make the new version!

Like 24x24x24! And thats a pretty good lifespan for the Catalina. I heard the trimma goby only likes for a year or so. Glad the Catalina lives longer cuz Im going to buy one in a while. Thanks for the info Jamie!

There just wasn't enough flow overall, and since I left the front and side panes dry (only the back overflowed) Salt would crystallize along the top edge, which was really ugly and difficult to clean off. Next time I would make it out of acrylic and have flow over all four sides. I was guessing at the lifespan, but I'm sure it will live at least close to that long. One year seems really short for any fish.

Okay, will do. Consider one sent :)

Got it.

-Jamie

nice. I'm being crazy and trying to use adhesive insulation on the tank walls to make it retain the cold temps better...not sure of how well it will work yet, but for 4 bucks why not? No light on it yet, but I put an AC 20 on it to get some flow going

Good luck!

Everything is back home now, but not in the tank yet, I want to make some modifications while it's empty. I'm going to dremel some teeth on the back part of both the top tank and the tidepool. It was getting really annoying having all motile invertebrates wash down into the sump every few days. Other than that it was pretty good, I think all the leaking issues have been addressed, so once I make the teeth the tank should be up and running again!

-Jamie

Okay, I decided to move everything into a five gallon tank for now, till the surge tank is ready, and it looks surprisingly good for just having been thrown together. I got some quick pics of some of the new stuff, plus an fts. The water hadn't cleared up yet when I took these, but it's crystal clear now. I'm not used to it, since the surge tank is always full of micro bubbles.

FTS

DSC_1774.jpg

Here's the little pycnogonid. Just a centimeter across, and very well camouflaged.

DSC_1750.jpg

Here are the hydroids. Not looking as good as they did when I got them, plus the picture is kind of blurry. They're tiny, so I had my longest lens extender on, but I couldn't get it to focus perfectly.

DSC_1782.jpg

Orange striped anemone closed

DSC_1743.jpg

and open

DSC_1741-1.jpg

A. elegantissima

DSC_1749.jpg

-Jamie

Your getting more than one of everything! Well, not everything. There's only one spider, but you can have him if you want. You get the sculpin too (sorry, there's only one!). And lots of anemones! Just get me an Urticina and a strawberry and I'll be happy. I wonder if I'll find anything in Puget Sound. Two week long marine biology camp just a few days away! omgomgomg And the best part is that I'm getting picked up by my parents, so I'll be able to tidepool and stuff! Awesome! And I'm bringing my wetsuit and underwater camera so I can snorkel and take pictures and stuff! I'm so excited!

lol, ok. :happydance: I probably have three or four more weeks of 90+ degrees, then it's smooth sailing.

Just pray he still has strawberries by then. :(

Oh he will, If he doesn't I may be forced to take drastic measures. I don't know what sorts of measures, but you can be assured that they will be drastic and I will take them.

Oh, this is really random, but when we were at the beach we went on this awesome hike (I think I was the only one who enjoyed it) through the Oregonian equivalent of a cloud forest. It was misty, and damp, and every inch of everything was completely covered in life. It was AWESOME! It was also a great place for salamanders. I found my first oregon slender salamander, which was SOO COOL! It made me want to set up a pacific northwest cloud forest biotope with a few salamanders, mossy everything, and maybe even chilled water. Now that would be an awesome tank.

-Jamie

It's funny because I'm enjoying it and you aren't !

j/k, trust me though it' worth the wait. Well, if you like it it will be, that is. But you definitely will, probably.

Oh, and FORESHORES GOT NEW STUFF! Not a lot of new stuff, but still everything looks nice. Unfortunately, they're pictures are awful. Half of them you can hardly tell what it is. Just have to buy it and find out!

-Jamie

Well, poo. I can't seem to find my photo card. So, yeah, no fts, sorry. If I can't find it by tomorrow I'll steal my dad's, or use a different camera, but I'm not convinced it's lost yet.

-Jamie

Thanks everyone! :wub:

It's even better now, but I LOST MY PHOTO CARD!!!! :angry: And I'm about to leave for the San Juans for eight days, so you guys won't even get to see it till then. SORRY!!! :(

As a plus, I'll probably have some new stuff then. I'm hoping for a couple M. senile (my old ones disappeared during the tank moving ordeal), and If I'm lucky, I might even find an Urticina! I've seen lots of pics of them in tidepools around there. Wish me luck!

-Jamie

Archived