Innovative Marine Aquariums

15 gal Coldwater Dual Biotope

Jamie

Mynameskenny19

Did you buy or collect the feather dusters?? And if you collected them, how did you get them?! Ive tried many times without success at collecting them!

Awesome tank by the way Jamie!

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jamie the maroon/purple feather dusters are actually crinoids. Well at least the ones in the second to last picture are. I can't tell about the one in the first picture, but I think it is as well. I didn't know there were any cold water species. hmmm must show Daniel.

That was my first thought, too.

My second thought: WANT!!! :o

Jamie the maroon/purple feather dusters are actually crinoids. Well at least the ones in the second to last picture are. I can't tell about the one in the first picture, but I think it is as well. I didn't know there were any cold water species. hmmm must show Daniel.

That was my first thought, too.

My second thought: WANT!!! :o

After looking at the picture with crinoids in mind, they really do have that look, but I can assure you that they are in fact Vancouver feather dusters ( Eudistylia vancouveri): http://www.seaotter.com/marine/research/eu...ouveri.jpg.html

In the second to last shot they are partially retracted, which gives them the crinoid look. In the first shot there is another, open one that is slightly out of focus. The crown is 1 - 1.5 inches across, and I believe (though I don't know much about them) that crinoids are much larger than that. The biggest Identifying characteristic though is that if you touch them, or even get near them, they shoot back into their tube, which makes it pretty clear that they are some type of tube worm. We have feather stars here (are these close to/the same as crinoids?), I believe they only live in deeper water, but I can't find my book to check on that.

Did you buy or collect the feather dusters?? And if you collected them, how did you get them?! Ive tried many times without success at collecting them!

Awesome tank by the way Jamie!

Those shots are all in the wild, not in my tank, so I didn't have to collect them, but I have had cw feather dusters before. I basically just gently peeled the tube off the side of the dock they were attached to. These were the soft-tubed kind, so it didn't seem to stress them out too much. I wouldn't try to detach a calcareous one though; I think that you would just crush it's tube and kill it.

-Jamie

After looking at the picture with crinoids in mind, they really do have that look, but I can assure you that they are in fact Vancouver feather dusters ( Eudistylia vancouveri): http://www.seaotter.com/marine/research/eu...ouveri.jpg.html

In the second to last shot they are partially retracted, which gives them the crinoid look. In the first shot there is another, open one that is slightly out of focus. The crown is 1 - 1.5 inches across, and I believe (though I don't know much about them) that crinoids are much larger than that. The biggest Identifying characteristic though is that if you touch them, or even get near them, they shoot back into their tube, which makes it pretty clear that they are some type of tube worm. We have feather stars here (are these close to/the same as crinoids?), I believe they only live in deeper water, but I can't find my book to check on that.

-Jamie

feather stars = crinoids :)

i know there are temperate crinoids, but i have no idea how shallow they go. i would imagine they come into diver range at least.

Would be cool to have one...slower metabolism from cool water might make them more easily fed/kept.

feather stars = crinoids :)

i know there are temperate crinoids, but i have no idea how shallow they go. i would imagine they come into diver range at least.

Would be cool to have one...slower metabolism from cool water might make them more easily fed/kept.

Thanks for the info. I know that they're in diving range, because oddly enough I remember a quote from my book (though i still can find the book itself! :angry: ): "If a diver detaches a feather star from the substrate, it may walk up and "invisible staircase" through the water column." (I can't wait to find my book to see how far off that quote was! ). The important part of the quote, for this discussion, is that there is in fact a diver present, and the fact that it is listed in the book at all suggests that they must be found reasonably often while diving, otherwise it would be pointless to include them! So, we know they're in the depth range of most divers, at least.

Of interest on the Crinoid front:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/v147048876h49528/

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr...C5gnKSM#PPT5,M1 - scroll through that one a bit, it's awesome

At any rate, I still WANT! ;)

Want a crinoid or a feather duster? or both? I think either would be pretty cool.

And in tank news. Well, nothing much. The pipefish seems to be doing well, and the urticina still hates surge, and is still generally too large for my tank. Setting up the 20 gallon perhaps? No, probably not, but it's a nice idea, at least. I think having the 20 gal high with just this urticina, maybe another, if I can find one, and a painted greenling. Painted greenling, like clownfish, are symbiotic with anemones, specifically Urticina lofotensis, but are also compatible with other Urticina species. i think that would be an AWESOME display, just because I love symbiosis, and anemones. it would also get the Urticina out of the surge tank, so it could actually have surge again. Decisions decisions.

-Jamie

Somehow I managed to entirely miss both of supernips posts on the previous page, so, SORRY! But honestly, I have no idea where you could get a spiny lumpsucker. I've seen snailfish in tidepools, which are related, but no lumpsuckers. I'm getting certified this fall, so once I can dive hopefully I'll see more stuff. But even then I don't know how common they are, so i won't likely be able to help you in getting one. You might try talking to someone who dives here, they might know where to find them.

I finally got a pic of the pipefish. It's absolutely terrible, but you can tell it's a pipefish. I had some slightly better pics, but apparently I am sometimes not allowed to crop things on my computer, so they are gone. Here's the terrible pic:

DSC_0049-1.jpg

I also got a couple more pics for my sig, I think I'll probably pick one of these over the others I posted, and yeah, they're basically the same picture, but if anyone has opinions one way or the other, I'd like to here them.

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

-Jamie

:( the pipefish has gone missing. It is clearly no longer in the top tank, so it either jumped out or rode the surge into the bottom tank. I looked all around the tank multiple times and couldn't find it. If it did end up in the bottom tank, it probably got eaten by the Urticina, but it's possible it's still hiding out somewher down there. Not in the sump, as far as I can tell, but the sculpin, shrimp, and porcelain crab are all down there. Hopefully he's just hiding. :(

-Jamie

It's been a day and he still hasn't shown up, so I'm thinking he's probably gone. :tears:

Thanks. When you gonna get one? (you know you want to!)

I have a question to pose to all of you. I'm not saying this is going to happen, but, potentially, if I were going to get another tank, should I get a tropical tank (probably 10 gal), which I don't have currently, or another coldwater (probably 20 gal)? A couple things you should know first: I already have a lot of tropical livestock (RBTA, frogspawn, hammer, zoas) staying in my friends tank, so I could set up a new tank for that stuff, or sell it. I also have 100 or so dollars credit at the fishtore, which would cover any immediate purchases. I already have a tank, metal halide lights, etc, so setting up this tank would effectively cost nothing. The coldwater would also cost nothing, but getting livestock could pose a problem. I haven't really been able to find much more than Anthopleura anemones, and I don't need another tank full of those. The only reason to set up a new tank would be to house the Urticina, which needs either a larger, low flow tank, or to be sold to someone. Other than that it would be an empty tank, which wouldn't be too exciting, but eventually, with a few trips up to puget sound, and the fact that I'm getting dive certified soon, it could look good. The potential for having larger fish is very enticing, and I wouldn't have to worry about them overflowing into the sump. I have another chiller, so that's not an issue. So basically I will end up selling something (Urticina vs tropical corals) either way. Neither will cost more to set up than the other. The tropical could look prettier faster, but the coldwater could also look nice given time. So, what are your opinions? If I decide to get another tank, which should I get?

-Jamie

Thanks. When you gonna get one? (you know you want to!)

Quit it!! :P

Sorry about the pipefish...

And tough call on what type of tank to set up........ why not one of each?

Quit it!! :P

Sorry about the pipefish...

And tough call on what type of tank to set up........ why not one of each?

I already have too many pets, and I'll be leaving for college in two years anyway, so I don't want to get that far into it. But after college, my house is going to be like, all fish tanks. I have like, ten different biotopes I'm planning. ;)

I say coldwater, but I understand how enticing a tropical setup would sound.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards coldwater, but I really like tropical stuff too, so I don't know. Having a bigger coldwater tank would really open up potential livestock choices, which would be excellent.

Okay, I'm getting more and more convinced I should get a coldwater tank. How should I get rid of the tropical stuff then? Just sell it off? My parents/friend who's holding the stuff are averse to selling things on the interenet, so any other ideas?

The problem with credit is that with just coldwater tanks I hardly spend anything at the lfs, and I already have over 100 dollars credit there, so I don't think I'd use it all. Just food and salt, and occasionally, lights. I guess if I don't spend it all I could just consider it a donation.

Now that I've essentially narrowed it down to a 20 gal coldwater, and suggestions for livestock? Only requirement is it must be compatible with Urticina, so, nothing small enough to get eaten.

On the fts front, I'll try to get one soon, but I'm pretty busy with school, and the tank is not too pretty right now, due to lack of surge and giant anemone taking up most of it. I'll see what I can do.

-Jamie

Sorry, no new fts's, but i have some very importsnt developments in the CW vs WW dilemma.

1. i finally figured out a science fair project, and it's going to be coldwater, so I'm going to be setting up at least one cw tank for that.

2. The new unofficial contest is really tempting me to start up a 5.5 gal tropical. If I do another cw, I'm pretty sure I wanna do 20 gal, cause I really like the idea of having a bigger tank, but I suppose I could set up a ten, just for the contest. I could set up a ten, then upgrade to the twenty after the contest is over, too. Opinions? Recommendations?

-Jamie

EDIT: Oh wait, I just realized I couldn't do CW for the contest, cause the chiller would put me over the budget requirement. oh well. So, should I do the tropical contest, if I'm already gonna have another CW for science fair?

Well, decided to do the contest (tropical), so we'll see how that goes. I'm back at the beach this weekend, and just got through looking over the docks at Garibaldi. There wasn't much, and I wasn't expecting it, because the bay is brackish in the winter, but I got a really cool bright green sculpin, along with one of the regular coloration. Also a few baby crabs (larva?). They're about 1 cm wide, totally clear, and they still have functioning "tails." I can't wait to see what they turn out to be!

Sometime in the next few weeks I'll be going down to Newport to see what I can find on their docks because for science fair this year I'm doing something involving that invasive tunicate, and I've found it there before. We can expect some new additions then!

-Jamie

Well, decided to do the contest (tropical), so we'll see how that goes. I'm back at the beach this weekend, and just got through looking over the docks at Garibaldi. There wasn't much, and I wasn't expecting it, because the bay is brackish in the winter, but I got a really cool bright green sculpin, along with one of the regular coloration. Also a few baby crabs (larva?). They're about 1 cm wide, totally clear, and they still have functioning "tails." I can't wait to see what they turn out to be!

Sometime in the next few weeks I'll be going down to Newport to see what I can find on their docks because for science fair this year I'm doing something involving that invasive tunicate, and I've found it there before. We can expect some new additions then!

-Jamie

pics??!??!?

Archived