Top Shelf Aquatics

Wawawang's 40 Breeder from an AP12

Wawawang

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great looking tank! I love the islands.

What do you use the little mini tank next to it for?

Right now it's a display refugium. Once I find a 70w mh that's 12 inches I'm make it a prop tank.

:o <<< That's me looking at your latest pics. OMG man your tank is looking AMAZING!!!

Please tell me you absolutely love the MP20, I have one coming soon!

I demand plumbing / build pics!!! It's a requirement in the 40 breeder club lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words guys! Glen I will have plumbing pics up for you soon!

Got a few updates:

Decided to make my ADA S tank on the side into a prop tank. I gutted the 18 watt sattelite fixture and threw in a 70w retro. I also finished up a few side jobs to make a little extra money and was able to get a nice monti frag pack from a member brshriver. Im very happy with my frags and he even threw in a couple free frags. Thanks brshriver.

retro

DSCF0048-1.jpg

DSCF0047-2.jpg

FTS 09-13-2008

DSCF0026-7.jpg

polyps zoos

DSCF0021-6.jpg

teal green acro

DSCF0031-8.jpg

Rainbow monto

DSCF0033-3.jpg

Sunset

DSCF0034-5.jpg

Sunrise

DSCF0035-5.jpg

Superman

DSCF0036-3.jpg

Pokerstar

DSCF0040-4.jpg

Orange acan

DSCF0041-3.jpg

Blue Milli

DSCF0044-2.jpg

Green Tort

DSCF0038-4.jpg

I love the "clam garden" in the center cove. What a great looking set-up. I have crocea's and a teardrop maxima in my 25 gallon, but wish I could set-up a look-down clam tank. Looks awesome! Keep up the good work!!

Sorry to be off topic but how long did it take for your tank to cycle. thanks irieboy.

50 gallon breeder

20 gallon sump

9 week's into cycle :D

I put my clean up crew 4 weeks in, at 6 weeks I transfered everything from my aquapod into the 40

So was your tank cycled at this point. I'm kind of doing the same I have a 14 gallon bio cube that i'm upgrading to the 50 gallon but it has to complete the cycle right. I was told to wait till the cycle was complete then start the refugium; then wait several week's then start adding livestock. Any advice would be helpful thought the cycle was supposed to last 4 to 6 week's. thanks again Irieboy

Got some plumbing pics for you. Its a very simple setup. Drilled with a one inch bulkhead. I requested the skimmer box to be as tiny as possible so that I could have more real estate. Its maybe 5 by 5 inches. The return pump is a mag 5 that goes into a 3/4 inch scwd that switches every 7 secs. I then have that going to 2 up and overs each one of these are pointed directly at my sps areas. For flow in the tank I have an mp20 and 2 mj900's. One located behind each rock pointed toward the middle. They are hooked up to my reef keeper 2 to switch on and off every ten minutes. The ADA S prop tank is drilled with two 1/2 inch bulkheads. It has a mj900 for the return going to one up and over. There is a Korolia nano for flow.

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

So was your tank cycled at this point. I'm kind of doing the same I have a 14 gallon bio cube that i'm upgrading to the 50 gallon but it has to complete the cycle right. I was told to wait till the cycle was complete then start the refugium; then wait several week's then start adding livestock. Any advice would be helpful thought the cycle was supposed to last 4 to 6 week's. thanks again Irieboy

It was cycled for me at that point. I used premium cycled rock and used live sand for the new setup. Between week one and week two was the large brown algae bloom. At week 4 I did a 60% water change and tested day and night for a week straight and everything looked stable. I was confident that the tank was ready for my stuff from the AP12. Test your water, make sure its stable for atleast a week is my advice. You can also gauge the quality of the tank water just by examining the everything in the tank. I know my corals are the best its ever been just by looking at my tank.

• 2 weeks later...
Wawawang,

Thanks for commenting in my thread. Your tank looks great! I think you said you started out with 4 chromis. Have you lost any since then?

Yes I used to have a total of 6 and now im down to 2. I lost 2 the first week and the rest slowly died. Its a good thing they are fairly inexpensive. I wouldn't recommend buying them since others have had the some thing happen.

Thanks for the pics. Now one more question, what are you dosing, and how much of it?

Glenn,

I use bulk reef supply DIY two part. Litermeter III is set to dose .11 liters of alkalinity solution and .12 liters of calcium solution. I have 1 gallon containers and the containers will last me around a month and a half before i have to top it off with solution.

Glenn,

I use bulk reef supply DIY two part. Litermeter III is set to dose .11 liters of alkalinity solution and .12 liters of calcium solution. I have 1 gallon containers and the containers will last me around a month and a half before i have to top it off with solution.

nice. I almost bought a litermeterIII the other day. A guy was selling one on RC for $200 shipped. As usual, I was late on the draw and someone else got to it first.

I have a DIY dosing system for my tank, but haven't set it up since the move. I really need to get on that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived