Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cuttlefish Reef

Fishfreak218

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sexy Shrimp
I would test my ammonia levels.. but my test kit is worth crap and isnt reliable at all.

Have you seen the stickon ammoalerts? They are quite good for a forwarning of rising levels...

i saw those ammn stick on things at the LFS the other day, looked very neat, i see they are rated for a couple months of use inside the tank, then they need to be replaced...not bad for 12-15$ tho.

man i wish i had cuddlefish.. are they reef safe?

Fishfreak218
Have you seen the stickon ammoalerts? They are quite good for a forwarning of rising levels...

No I haven't but in all honesty I wouldnt spend the money on them just because the only times Im worried about ammonia is during the cycle.. otherwise its very rare for me to have trouble with ammonia... its usually Cal, Ph, and Alk that I have trouble with -_-

i saw those ammn stick on things at the LFS the other day, looked very neat, i see they are rated for a couple months of use inside the tank, then they need to be replaced...not bad for 12-15$ tho.

man i wish i had cuddlefish.. are they reef safe?

Yes, they are reef safe... if you look above you can see some of the pictures of the coral that will be going into this tank

They ate frozen krill today!

well they finally ate frozen krill! Im really excited because this is a huge relief to me. As you guys already know, live food is expensive and I have just ran out of SW ghost shrimp. They are both eating a piece of krill right now as Im typing. The smaller one has a piece of krill that is the size of him! I don't think he is going to eat it all but its been 2 days since he ate (I ran out of food).

So far so good! Now I can feed them larger portions which will increase their growth rate and health and hopefully they will be able to go into the display tank soon

Fishfreak218
Those Cuttlefish look awesome, makes me want to get some. No more tanks though.

Yes. I said the same thing a few months ago :P

Just an update, I went to the store today and got some fresh krill (the stuff I had was old) and I also picked up some frozen "Prawn" by Prosalt which is really good because its the size of large ghost shrimp. I assume it is saltwater prawn but really I don't know. We'll see if they eat them tonight...

Fishfreak218

Yes Captain!

Well, as of today they have officially started their life in the display tank!

Ever since I started feeding them krill I noticed that they started to poop a lot! There was so much poop in the little 10g. nursery that I decided to switch them over into the display tank!

Now time to start transferring some of the coral. I cant wait for the corraline algea to grow on the base rock either... it looks so horrendous! A ton of this encrusting green algea is all over it and Im finally starting to see little specs of corraline popping up all over the rock!!!!

AdriftQuasar

I started thinking about doing a cuttlefish tank about a year ago and then never got around to it. I still really want to do one, seeing this thread reminded me of that. I don't think I will set one up anytime soon, but thanks for sharing such a marvelous thing with us.

One question though: Is your tank open-topped?

Fishfreak218
I started thinking about doing a cuttlefish tank about a year ago and then never got around to it. I still really want to do one, seeing this thread reminded me of that. I don't think I will set one up anytime soon, but thanks for sharing such a marvelous thing with us.

One question though: Is your tank open-topped?

Yes, it is open-topped! There haven't been very many reports of cuttlefish torpedoing out of their tanks so far, so Im not terribly worried about it.

• 2 weeks later...
Fishfreak218

Well,

I'm on vacation right now and I was hesitant about leaving the cuttlefish for such a long period of time but so far so good. They are now eating freeze dried krill *(as long as it is soaked in a cup of tank water) but they do prefer the frozen. I never expected them to eat so well and I am hoping to see some good growth from them as I start to add variety to their diet.

Also, I picked up some of those Triops that are like little mini freshwater horseshoe crabs. They sell them in novelty stores for kids. Its like seamonkeys where they give you some food and some eggs and you put the eggs in the water and then they hatch, yada yada. I am looking forward to trying them as food (and just because they look cool).

Pics when I get home!

Omg Triops! :wub: I had a tank in my office before the cleaning lady turned their heat off over the weekend and they nuked. RIP Bubba et al.

Fishfreak218
Omg Triops! :wub: I had a tank in my office before the cleaning lady turned their heat off over the weekend and they nuked. RIP Bubba et al.

haha yeah they're neat, I told my mom I only wanted them to use as food for the cuttles but, secretly I just wanted them again.

Ahhhh, the memories :lol:

dahliaheartsyou
cuttletanksss0005.jpg

"WHAT CHU LOOKIN AT?!"

OMG, these things are so cool...especially the eyes...

I would be too scared to keep them, if they jetted into the wall and hurt themselves i'd be so sad... :tears:

This tank is so cool!

Good luck!

-dahlia

Fishfreak218

Thanks dalia!

Well, It is 1:42 and I just got home from my trip and I just got a text message saying that the pump had turned off and it was sent 3 DAYS AGO!!!!!! Sooo I dont know how this happened but the cuttlefish tank has been off for 3 days and nothing died... :huh:

Im stumped.

Good luck i guess!

lakshwadeep

Not wanting to distract, but it would be cool if a nano biotope could be made for the flamboyant cuttlefish. A great video on them:

Picture:

page104_4.jpg

Fishfreak218
Not wanting to distract, but it would be cool if a nano biotope could be made for the flamboyant cuttlefish. A great video on them:

Picture:

page104_4.jpg

Yeah the only problem is, is that we don't know much about them and their numbers are uncertain in the wild. Im pretty sure that from what we know, they are hard to keep though.

Also, the smaller cuttlefish isn't looking too good, he is swimming a little erratically. I am pretty nervous that he isn't going to make it.

:( Im pretty bumed out...

Archived