Cultivated Reef

Cuttlefish Reef

Fishfreak218

Fishfreak218

Update:

Well, yesterday night I decided to try and get them to eat frozen food. Since the krill was way to large for them to eat, I decided to try them on some frozen mini mysis [which is really nothing but a snack for them right now]. The smaller cuttlefish ate one frozen mysis right away! For now they will get SW and FW ghost shrimp until they are large enough to try frozen krill. :D

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fishfreak218

Well, long story short I had an acro from my 90g. die, so I tried to save the acro crab inside of it.

I put it into another acro in another tank but found it dead later. I decided to drop it into the breeder net with the cuttles and see what happened. They didn't strike at it on its way down so once it fell to the floor and they realized it was lifeless they ignored it. I left for a few minutes and then came back. The crab was gone! The next day I found the shell on the floor of the net breeder. So, they are eating dead food and frozen food a little bit, now to wean them fully onto frozen and substitute live food as a treat.

Fishfreak218
Cool deal! grats...Hopefully it wasn't some other critter that got it though. =)

Yeah, luckily since they are contained in the net breeder and there is no liverock in the net breeder (just 2 empty shells, some zoanthids and a tiny clump of cheato) I am positive that it was the cuttlefish.

Lizzie1324

Wow, this is so cool! Those little cuttlefish are so cute! And that video was amazing. Good luck with the frozen food! :D

looking good... are you planning on breeding the SW ghost shrimp? how long till you release them into the whole tank?

Fishfreak218

Update:

Well today was a big day at the cuttlefish reef :). The cuttlefish have been named by my friends; the big one is Walker and the small one is Texas Ranger. Texas Ranger seems to be the more social one who isn't really afraid of the camera or me. He tends to stay up towards the front while Walker (who happens to walk a lot :D) stays toward the back. Anyway, I decided that today I was going to do a water change. While I was doing a water change I noticed that I only had about 25 SW ghost shrimp left :o. Since Walker has grown so much in the past few weeks of having him I decided that I would collect all of the ghost shrimp out of the tank. Once I caught them all I released Walker and Texas Ranger into the ten gallon and then put the shrimp into the net breeder. Of course, it was a very stressful event and whilst doing this whole thing I managed to suck out every single bristle worm! I hate those things with a passion. I also managed to get some pictures edited and uploaded, so here they are:

Texas Ranger:

1monthold0001_2.jpg

Texas Ranger eating a ghost shrimp:

1monthold0001_3.jpg

Texas Ranger:

1monthold0003_3.jpg

Walker [pissed off at me, and eating simultaneously]

1monthold0017.jpg

Walker stalking a ghost shrimp:

1monthold0014.jpg

Hope you guys enjoyed!

looking good... are you planning on breeding the SW ghost shrimp? how long till you release them into the whole tank?

I am not planning on breeding the SW ghost shrimp just because I think by the time I'm done with the 25-30 that I have left, the cuttlefish will be onto bigger and better things [such as frozen krill and silversides!]

When am I releasing them into the tank? Well, if you read this whole post you already know that I released them into the 10g. I plan to release them into the 30g. when they get a little bigger and know that their owner = food and to come to the front of the tank to get their food. :D

unbeilivably cool tank!

I've wanted a cephlapod for a good while now, just haved made the plunge.....maybe soon though...

Fishfreak218
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

chris,

shut up and go smoke some pot or like cook for your husband or something.

srssly :P

Fishfreak218
lol i'll refrain from saying what I would

and i'm way ahead of you on the first part

yeah, i would have had to kick your ass ;)

p###y.

GrandpaFeathers

I can't tell if you two are serious. lol.

Hey, what is the lifespan of cuttlefish?

Im liking these bad boys..

Fishfreak218
I can't tell if you two are serious. lol.

Hey, what is the lifespan of cuttlefish?

Im liking these bad boys..

:lol: We're uhhh, "friends" right chris?

the life-span of these guys is believed to be anywhere from 12-16 months [usually closer to 12 though]

they are really neat!

GrandpaFeathers

oh thats really sad.

If they lived longer, its guarenteed I've have the same set up as you!

Archived