Innovative Marine Aquariums

Cuttlefish Reef

Fishfreak218

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

z

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

boring ;)

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Velvet Sea

Cuttlefish are amazing animals. I've actually done a bit of work with them myself. There is an aquaculture/research laboratory associated with the University of Texas Medical Branch called MBI, Marine Biological Institute. Dr. John Forsythe is one of the people in charge. They mostly focus on cephalopods for neurological studies I believe. Octopus, Nautilus and Cuttlefish.

I used to work for an aquarium maintenance company for a few years. My boss was good friends with Dr. Forsythe. Together they started a very short lived company called CephSource which I also worked for, distributing octopus and cuttlefish to aquarium keepers. CephSource closed down due to a lack of demand, but it was fun breeding and raising them while it lasted.

I also maintained a Cuttlefish exhibit aquarium at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. I tell ya, cleaning that tank was a challenge. As soon as I would reach in with an algae scraper, they'd freak out and ink everywhere. They are easily startled. You have to be careful because when they get scared they often dart backwards and they can easily bump into something and break or damage their cuttlebone.

Anyhow, good luck with the cuttlefish tank!

Fishfreak218
Cuttlefish are amazing animals. I've actually done a bit of work with them myself. There is an aquaculture/research laboratory associated with the University of Texas Medical Branch called MBI, Marine Biological Institute. Dr. John Forsythe is one of the people in charge. They mostly focus on cephalopods for neurological studies I believe. Octopus, Nautilus and Cuttlefish.

I used to work for an aquarium maintenance company for a few years. My boss was good friends with Dr. Forsythe. Together they started a very short lived company called CephSource which I also worked for, distributing octopus and cuttlefish to aquarium keepers. CephSource closed down due to a lack of demand, but it was fun breeding and raising them while it lasted.

I also maintained a Cuttlefish exhibit aquarium at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. I tell ya, cleaning that tank was a challenge. As soon as I would reach in with an algae scraper, they'd freak out and ink everywhere. They are easily startled. You have to be careful because when they get scared they often dart backwards and they can easily bump into something and break or damage their cuttlebone.

Anyhow, good luck with the cuttlefish tank!

cool! thanks for the insight.

So far there hasnt been a ton of problems with damaged cuttlebones and I'm hoping that mine get used to my presence. They have been black ever since I put them into their breeder net, I hope they arent too stressed.

It might help to try and limit your photoperiod for just a few days, and really try not to make any sudden movements near the tank. Whenever I acclimate a new ceph I like to make sure they have lots of shelter materials to hide and "peek out" from. This is an awesome project, keep us updated!

Fishfreak218
It might help to try and limit your photoperiod for just a few days, and really try not to make any sudden movements near the tank. Whenever I acclimate a new ceph I like to make sure they have lots of shelter materials to hide and "peek out" from. This is an awesome project, keep us updated!

Yeah, I just went and turned the lights off. I'll only do a few hours each day and might add more hiding spots later although they arent using the hiding spots that I already gave them. They are just sitting out in the open, so maybe they dont need them? :mellow:

Yeah, I just went and turned the lights off. I'll only do a few hours each day and might add more hiding spots later although they arent using the hiding spots that I already gave them. They are just sitting out in the open, so maybe they dont need them? :mellow:

They could also just be getting settled in, I think if you just make sure that they have some rubble and also some macro algaes in their container they should be ok. Cuttles typically aren't the den-makers that octopus are....but there is always a settling period! Keep us updated!

Todesengel

Wow, way to go man! I am thinking about doing a cuttle tank in the next few months. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Fishfreak218

thanks everyone for all the good wishes,

They each ate a ghost shrimp today! The mysids were so small, I thought that they were getting very hungry even though I was feeding them 10+ day. So, they are getting ghost shrimp and mysids until my shore shrimp (saltwater ghost shrimp, more nutritious then FW ghost shrimp) arrive. I still haven't gotten an email from aquaculturestore.com saying that my shore shrimp have been shipped, so it may be until late next week before they are getting shore shrimp. Anyway, the ghost shrimp were roughly the same size so I feel it was a decent meal.

Fishfreak218
How are ghost shrimp as nutritional value? Do they have any?

I haven't read much into it but as far as I understand, the protein to fat ratio is different in SW and FW.

The FW have more fat and less protein which isn't good for the cuttlefish. I know that Thales tried just feeding FW ghost shrimp to his cuttlefish for a few months to see the result and he found that they were much less active and were a lot weaker.

coralcrazy

sweet tank dude...question..are you going to buy fresh food all the time for them? I want to put them in a reef tank would that be okay? i have a refugium to stock with mysis shrimp....i am very intrested in them....

Fishfreak218
sweet tank dude...question..are you going to buy fresh food all the time for them? I want to put them in a reef tank would that be okay? i have a refugium to stock with mysis shrimp....i am very intrested in them....

Throughout their life I will probably supplement them with live food but I plan to train them onto frozen food. I think it is good for them to get live food for variety in their diet and the hunting as enrichment. They eat tiger pods for the first week and then transition onto mysid and amphipods for the next 3-4 weeks. Then after that they are big enough for ghost shrimp so they wont eat mysid shrimp their whole life if that is what you were implying about stocking your refugium with mysids.

Anway, here are some new pictures and a video of them eating! Pictures are hard to get because of the blue lighting and the net breeder, all of the frontal shots are actually taken through the net which makes the pictures faded but oh well. Enjoy!

1monthold0005_1.jpg

1monthold0004_1.jpg

1monthold0002_1.jpg

1monthold0001_1.jpg

th_CuttlefishTank009.jpg

Thats so cool. These are such cool creatures, i saw about 5 cuttlefish eggs in the back tank of a crappy fish store this week. I felt bad because i feel like they are going to waste there just sitting in a little plastic container getting beat up by too much flow.

Fishfreak218

Update:

So, the saltwater ghost shrimp came in today! Despite the fact that the water they came in was filthy and smelled funny, most of the shrimp were alive. I decided to take the dead ones and throw them in with the cuttles since they usually grab the food almost immediately anyway. They both ate 2 dead shrimp! I hope this is foreshadowing of an easy time training them onto frozen food which will be a HUGE help. I should be ordering some equipment and such for the display tank so I'll update you guys and let you know what I got.

Thats so cool. These are such cool creatures, i saw about 5 cuttlefish eggs in the back tank of a crappy fish store this week. I felt bad because i feel like they are going to waste there just sitting in a little plastic container getting beat up by too much flow.

Yeah, its a shame they are so infrequently kept in the hobby, and even when they do come in they are wild caught and adults. -_-

Maybe I'll get lucky and get a male and a female but then we might have some freaky weird incest offspring with 3 eyes and 12 arms :o

That's awesome that they took the dead shrimp so quickly, good news I would think. So you've had them in that mesh holding pen for a while now and they seem to be getting used to you feeding them and all. All good news. Keep up the good work, I'm very interested on seeing your progress.

Archived