ReefCleaners.org

Cuttlefish Reef

Fishfreak218

Fishfreak218
oh thats really sad.

If they lived longer, its guarenteed I've have the same set up as you!

Yeah, that factor stops a lot of people from getting into cephs.

Cuttlefish Cage Fighting Dot Com.

:lol:

Wow this is awesome. Congrats on the cuttlefish adventure. :)

Thanks travis! hopefully things work out well.

Alright, I finally ordered some stuff for the display tank! My original plans have changed (haha, I wonder how many time I've said that :rollseyes: )

Instead of going with the typical sump setup I decided to change some things.

1) I decided that a fuge collects a lot of detritus, and really doesn't help that much..so I eliminated that

2) A prop tank would be much more productive then a fuge, so I added that ;)

3) The protein skimmer took up way to much room in the sump/prop tank... so I got rid of it, I replaced it with a denitrator that lays outside of the sump

Anyway, today I ordered the following:

• OceanRunner 2500 return pump
  • Hydor Koralia 3's (2) (850 gph each)
  • Eshopps Overflow
  • Via-Aqua Phosphate Reactor

My total, including shipping (from 2 different places, so shipping ended up being $21) was $237

Also.. I thought I would start off the new page with some pictures...

Flash:

1monthold0013.jpg

Close-up:

1monthold0012.jpg

Eating:

1monthold0011.jpg

Yellow:

1monthold0006_1.jpg

Face Off:

1monthold0008.jpg

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope, not yet. I promised my friend Andrea that she could name them :happy:

I just ordered 50 shore shrimp from aquaculturestore.com bringing my total too:

Total cost so far:

Cuttlefish: $120

Shipping: $94

Food: $92 (with shipping)

Total: $306

These are so cool! My LFS has them every few months for sale. They must have a local source for them. They sell them for $15 each! My brother had me pick up 2 for him. That was a few months ago. I don't think they are still around. After reading your thread I am thinking he wasn't nearly as prepared for them as you. The ones my LFS have are usually about 1/2 an inch I think. They have them in a very small tank and I think they hatch there. The little black/brown pod things are always in there with them. I wanted some too but opted for the easy care of sexy shrimp instead! I can't wait to watch your cuttles grow!

Fishfreak218
These are so cool! My LFS has them every few months for sale. They must have a local source for them. They sell them for $15 each! My brother had me pick up 2 for him. That was a few months ago. I don't think they are still around. After reading your thread I am thinking he wasn't nearly as prepared for them as you. The ones my LFS have are usually about 1/2 an inch I think. They have them in a very small tank and I think they hatch there. The little black/brown pod things are always in there with them. I wanted some too but opted for the easy care of sexy shrimp instead! I can't wait to watch your cuttles grow!

Yeah, every once in a while LFS's are able to get eggs that are collected from the wild (usually Papua New Guinea) or sometimes even wild caught adults. There is no way they are local because their are no known species of cuttlefish in our local waters.

-Josh

I think he meant a local aquarist sells them to the LFS.

Anyways,

GREAT TANK! I've been following along and I love it!

SeeDemTails

They have a nice cuttlefish at one of the shops here in Daytona, they are super cool! They also had a Watanabei Angel male, what an awesome fish!

Fishfreak218
They have a nice cuttlefish at one of the shops here in Daytona, they are super cool! They also had a Watanabei Angel male, what an awesome fish!

Cool! whats the name of the store?

Wantanabei angelfish are soo cool, I remember my pair that I had in my 50g. breeder,

very nice fish!

Tonight I got about ______ that close from touching Walker's head... but then he started backing off so I followed suit.

Did you happen to catch the recent issue of CORAL MAGAZINE?

entire spread on cuttlefish, very interesting.

Fishfreak218
Very cool! Great job!

Here is a little article about cuttlefish you might be interested in...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7435757.stm

wow! thanks for the article, it was a very interesting read

Did you happen to catch the recent issue of CORAL MAGAZINE?

entire spread on cuttlefish, very interesting.

No, but thanks for the heads up.... I'll go see if I can find it.

Here is some more pictures for you guys!

1monthold0009.jpg

1monthold0010.jpg

1monthold0015.jpg

1monthold0016.jpg

great, if you can't find it, email me, I can scan the article in for you.

steve.taggart@us.atlascopco.com

I think he meant a local aquarist sells them to the LFS.

Anyways,

GREAT TANK! I've been following along and I love it!

Yes that is what I meant :)

Fishfreak218

I have 2 videos and a ton of pics that I hope to have up by 11 tonight (eastern time)

also my order came in from both liveaquaria and marinedepot today so hopefully when I get back from my trip (i leave tomorrow morning) I can start setting up the sump and getting the filtration system going!

Soon, I'll also have an updated price list of all the money spent that went into this project.. just in case anyone would like to endeavor into something like this.

EDIT*

yeah i didnt get to uploading tonight... ill do it when i get back...

im going to WORLD WIDE CORALS!!! omgomgomg

i would love to see a recent FTS. i bet it's like trying to find waldo in pictures. does it take you long to find them in person?

awsome tank. You are a brave fellow for attempting this. They are some awsome animals. I love the Wu-Tang Clan eyes.

ThiefofAlways

this is awesome!!

i googled cuttlefish, and this was the first thing that came up

Many people would like to keep cuttlefish as pets. This is quite easy in the UK and Europe as species of cuttlefish like Sepia officinalis the 'European cuttlefish' are found there.

In the USA however, there are no naturally found species and the most commonly imported species is from Bali called Sepia bandensis which is a poor traveller and normally arrives as a four-inch adult with perhaps only weeks to live. It is not recommended as a pet. One day someone will be captive breeding Sepia officinalis for the American hobby!

is that true? seems like yours are doing well.

Fishfreak218
this is awesome!!

i googled cuttlefish, and this was the first thing that came up

Many people would like to keep cuttlefish as pets. This is quite easy in the UK and Europe as species of cuttlefish like Sepia officinalis the 'European cuttlefish' are found there.

In the USA however, there are no naturally found species and the most commonly imported species is from Bali called Sepia bandensis which is a poor traveller and normally arrives as a four-inch adult with perhaps only weeks to live. It is not recommended as a pet. One day someone will be captive breeding Sepia officinalis for the American hobby!

is that true? seems like yours are doing well.

Its very true,

although recently I heard there has been a shortage of Sepia Officinalis (the one pictured in my sig.) in the UK.. I dont know why but its what I have heard from a few UK'ers. I wouldnt say its easy to keep cuttlefish in the UK just because they get so large (16") so they need a tank of about 200-300 gallons minimum and their specialized feeding (thats a LOT of live crabs that need to be pretty large) and they

need a chilled tank. Currently, there are a few people breeding Sepia Bandensis (the dwarf cuttlefish) in america so it has become MUCH easier to get them.

StevieT,

thank you, i will email you when i get home from my vacation

henrlee,

I will get a recent FTS of the display tank and the nursery tank (since you weren't really clear on which tank you wanted to see) as soon as I get home.

Great video and pictures.

They start eating a little bit more frozen food yet.

Very cool little cuttlefish, you should try and get another one and call him Chuck.

Fishfreak218

Well,

I have spent the last two days buying supplies and getting the sump plumbed into the main tank. I made a few mistakes along the way but it is finally done. I decided that the frag tank in the sump would be too much of a hassle and would not allow for easy access to pumps, heaters, and other misc. items. The sump is very simple (which is what I wanted it to be). Anyway, while on vacation in orlando I did get to go to World Wide Corals and I did pick up some coral for the main tank! The store was awesome and I ended up getting a lot of great things. I have been trying frozen krill but they wont take it... I think they are affraid of the feeding stick because they will take dead ghost shrimp. I have seen a lot more begging behaviour from the both of them which is a very good sign. Anyway here is some pics of the cuttles, the main tank, and a sneak peek at some of the coral that will go into the tank:

Equipment Finally arrived:

cuttletanksss0006.jpg

Plumbing & Messy Wires:

cuttletanksss0007.jpg

Sump:

cuttletanksss0012.jpg

Finished Product:

cuttletanksss0013.jpg

Cuttlefish:

cuttletanksss0004.jpg

cuttletanksss0005.jpg

cuttletanksss0003.jpg

cuttletanksss0002.jpg

electric green ric:

cuttletanksss0010.jpg

aussie acan:

cuttletanksss0009.jpg

Nuclear Greens:

cuttletanksss0015.jpg

Aussie Brain (recovering from FW dip...long story):

cuttletanksss0018.jpg

that aussie brain is actually purple and green but its still recovering from a FW dip that it went through....

In the beggining when the base rock was still white :)

cuttletanksss0001_1.jpg

Fishfreak218

so, does anyone have any clue as to why the tank's water smells like cat urine.

Like legit cat urine...

WTF??

Fishfreak218

oh possibly, I did stir up the sand bed... maybe that caused things to go out of whack.

Otherwise all I really did was add 10gallons of fresh SW and some phosphate media and carbon..

WTF...

I would test my ammonia levels.. but my test kit is worth crap and isnt reliable at all.

EDIT**

although I have never had a tank smell like this... even during the cycle and this tank has already been up for 2 months!

Archived