Innovative Marine Aquariums

>GioReef's BC14 <

GioReef

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In mine I dremelled holes in the "flap" and put a fan blowing on it during lights on. I also siliconed clear tubing 1/3 inch high on both sides of the tank so that the hood is permanently partially cracked open.

Your tank looks good.

Thanks, my tank is really clean, the sand kind of throws that off cuz im having a little algae problem. But i now have chaeto and PO4 remover. Seems to be working good. I have to get 3-4 cerith snails and i will be all good.

Yellow Clown Goby!!!

He is very healthy but hasn't eaten anything. Was eating frozen and pellets at LFS. Going to get a picture tomorrow. Wrasse is very calm to him.

The ycg is doing great. I got him to eat frozen brine and then today he ate 3 mysis. He is finally recovering. He is now almost fully nourished. Soon i will try to get him on dry foods too. This is him being is usual.

100_5682.jpg

100_5686.jpg

• 1 month later...

Did a mod today. I spliced one of the fans that i had removed because it was loud, Oceanic sent me another so i had 1 extra fan. I spliced it to a 7v old phone charger. Works great and now my tank doesnt get higher than 81.2! Used to get to 83. So pretty good. And it is dead silent. If oceanic will send me another one when i ask, i will put it on the other side too.These are the pictures...

BTW It's mounted on the jump guard. B)

100_5743.jpg

100_5744.jpg

100_5745.jpg

And just for kicks...

100_5748.jpg

Most Recent FTS- :happy:

Not the best but it works.

Very nice coralline growth. Do you have any secrets you would like to share, or did your tank just get lucky?

I like the corals in your tank. My biocube is just getting ready for corals and I am looking around at different tanks to get an idea.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

I just read your entire thread. Mostly because you are in Tucson, as am I. If you decide to load my thread page be patient. It is very long and has TONS of pictures. I like that you have been super patient with your tank and the livestock. It looks very good. I know that some of the SW stores can be a bit pricey but when you compare to the shipping costs for online places it's a wash. You can't beat online pricing for dry goods though.

My tank is just a little over a year old and because I drive around town for a living I get to frequent the local stores nearly every week. What I have found is this. SW Saltwater is nice and very competitively priced. A lot of their corals are cherries and usually have a good health rate. The owner tries really hard to keep flat worms, majano, and aptasia out of his coral tanks. He also just started up a frag tank. The only problem with his frag tank is that most the frags are of brown coral. He did have a nice LPS torch for $20 that I almost bought and it was gone a couple days later. I'm kicking myself for not buying it.

I never go to Majestic anymore. I used to go in and check it out but with all the flat worms and aptasia I have never bought anything but a few inverts. They always seem to have some nice corals that are never for sale.

I also don't go to Tropical Kingdom anymore. They don't do a very good job of keeping the tanks clean and their prices tend to be a little high. Especially the dry goods.

Petland and Petco are tough to deal with. If you hit them up on the right days you can find some good deals. Deliveries usually run on Wednesday so if you show up that afternoon you will get a first look at the goods. If you buy anything from Petco get is as soon as it comes in. The fish are still fresh out of the bag and have the best chance of survival. I bought my new Mandarin there and have had good luck. They have good prices on some cheap fish and even some inverts. Their corals and anemones are a joke IMO.

My personal favorite store is Oasis Tropical Fish. His corals are a bit high but there is a way around that. Frags. Hector offers a frag deal that is really good. $100 for 6 frags of your choice. There are some restrictions but for the simple corals it is great. He has LOADS of zoas, 'shrooms, LPS, SPS, fans, and fish. Don't be afraid to haggle just a little. Go in there informed about the prices of competitive shops and let him know he is high. He has a lot of cool ORA clowns right now. If you are looking for another clown you can get one for $15 I bet.

Another really cool addition is inverts. Don't be scared to add another cleaner. It probably was not your clown that did the first one in. I do have a bigger tank but a cleaner shrimp is a very welcome addition. You can also add some more snails and hermits too. Hermits are cool and come in so many colors. I would stay away from smaller shrimp because of your wrasse but other than that go nuts. Anemone crabs are also really cool too! People love to tanks about the inverts more than the fish of corals in my tank.

Now that you are at 9 months you should change your bulbs if you have not already. You will notice and explosion of growth when you do. Another thing to change is your water. Not your whole tank but the water you are using. Buy a couple of 5g water jugs and get your water from SWsw. His RODI is 0-5 TDS and $.25 a gallon. Best deal in town. After you change your water habits you will notice better water quality. I guarantee it.

I was also curious what you do for supplements and food. Do you dose with a 2 part? Do you feed PHYTO, ZOO, CHROMA, MICRO, CYCLOPEEZE? Frozen or dry? Vitamins? Trace?

Happy Reefing.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Hey dooderino, sry i couldnt get to you earlier(school is driving me nuts right now) Well i dont dose anything and i feed every other day with either frozen or flakes/pellets.

Ok i got some mod pictures, i made the fuge in the second chamber in the back. I just need to go grab some chaeto tomorrow. I used a heat safe container lined with foil and used a $10 undercabinet 9watt fluorescent i got at lowes.

100_5869.jpg

100_5873.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

Chaeto is growing and trimmed quite a bit off. Not much changes except for a few more snails were added and the watchman goby is out all day long now. :happy: I want to get him a pistol shrimp but locally i cant find any... :angry:

This is my recent FTS-

100_5979.jpg

Hermit crab eating upside down, and wrasse being sneaky-

100_6008.jpg

Watchman goby on favorite rock he perches on-

100_5993.jpg

Archived