Cultivated Reef

The Full Monti

dshnarw

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My first monti. Capricornus orangy guy...

6-29-08Monti.jpg

how big is the monti cap? and how large do they get?

I just ordered one similar to yours and want to make sure I put it in a spot with enough space.

tnx.

I just ordered one similar to yours and want to make sure I put it in a spot with enough space.

tnx.

Here's a quarter next to it. Really sorry about the horrible quality of the pic. Crappy camera and I just stirred it up moving some rocks, but it answers the question...

7-6-08capriquarter.jpg

I'm not sure how big they get, but they are super easy to frag. Snap and glue from what I've read. Looking forward to seeing your new piece!

SeeDemTails

Bigger than you can fit in your tank, no matter how big it is. Thats why we frag!

Here is my 2 year old colony, started about the same size as the above pictured colony.

DSC01693.JPG

revaltion131
Bigger than you can fit in your tank, no matter how big it is. Thats why we frag!

Here is my 2 year old colony, started about the same size as the above pictured colony.

DSC01693.JPG

Yours has outstanding shape and color. Do you have the info on your care for it in your tank thread?

DSC01693.JPG

nice monti. What is the size of it in inches? Can you put something with known size to compare it to? (the other post placed a quarter next to the picture). I assume that picture is the top view right?

What always gets me is most corals are actually 10x smaller than what the pictures show, particularly zoas. When I was new, I was expecting zoa polys the same size as the pictures I see, only to find out the real thing is 10x smaller.

tnx.

just make sure you dont mount it high in the tank. Everone mounts them on a high shelf in the tank but you got to remember they grow out and up. Mount it lower to allow more growth.

thanks scott. :thumbsup: mine are doing beautifully.

I'm looking at getting 2 or 3 small monti cap frags for my 5.5 gallon. I know they will quickly fill out and up, so how easy are they to frag? Do you just break off one of the tips and re-mount? I don't want to put a coral in my tank that I can't keep trimmed and happy.

Awesome, well that means I am now in the market for a green, purple, and orange monti cap :).

PS: sorry about the hijack.. on with the pics!!

Do rainbow montis polyps start out green then turn red/orange? Or is it the other way around?

They start out orange at the edge, then turn green.

And...I picked up this cool monti a couple of days ago and it is awesome. It's 4"x3" and is the first coral I've purchased since my tank move/crash. Is there a special name for this color combo?

I :wub: it...

DSC03074.jpg?t=1215999563

Middle: This is another piece that recovered well after the crash. Left: I also have a small frag of a pink/beige base monti, with blue polyps. The polyps were unfortunately not out for the pic, they're amazing.

DSC03077.jpg?t=1215999791

I was thinking of buying a monti frag for my 10gallon but i dont add any supplements, only water changes every week. Do you guys it will be okay?

I was thinking of buying a monti frag for my 10gallon but i dont add any supplements, only water changes every week. Do you guys it will be okay?

It depends. What are your params? Which salt do you use? What's your calcium, alk levels? Lighting? How are you're other corals doing?

Anyway, my monti just a couple of posts above is doing great! I'm still wondering if it has a special name like sunset, superman, blah, blah, blah....

Thanks

Looks like an undata to me, with that purplish dark base and bright green polyps. I've got a hispida and a morningstar monti that look somewhat like that. I'll try and get pictures so you can compare. You can google montipora hispida or morningstar monti to check it out if you like. Might as well search true undata while you're at it. It might not have a kewl name but comparing to those pics will at least give you some base to go from.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...
gulfsurfer101

KOFP looks like a super girl montipora. I just got a small frag some that looks exactly like that along with a tyree sunset. I wanted pokerstar but figured it looks close enough. Can't wait till they get here so I can post some pics of them.

im guessing these monti's are hard to take care of? are they hard corals?

Yes, It's SPS...

Makes for a pretty good "beginner" SPS coral! Mine is growing very well!!!

Archived