Top Shelf Aquatics

Klarion's Tongan Scape

klarion

davidr2340
Lighting Upgrade

So far I've been chugging along with an 80 Watt PC fixture on my 15G high. It has been the one major flaw grating on my nerves for a while since it has a lot of trouble cutting through 2-3 feet of water to my corals and growth has been SLOW.

I just ordered 150w HQI Sunpod fixture that I will probably have by next weekend. At that point I'm planning a water change, a bit of cleaning and new pics. Also, double the lighting should help with picture quality - I'm very excited.

Congrats on the new light... I :wub: my Sunpods!!!

Thank you, and thank you, kind sirs.

Congratz on the upgrade ... you will love having the MH ... I'll hook you up with some SPS ;)

ooh, ohh... mighty kind of you to offer. I better get my tank in order. I'm so glad to have such nice and helpful reefer buddies.

And I couldn't help myself with this:

A UPS delivery guy just showed up...I didn't even remember ordering anything....but none the less here it is. I guess they forgot to send it with the main package I got a couple of days ago:

_DSC1440.jpg

Congrats on the lighting upgrade Boris. You are going to LOVE the Sunpod. Are you going with the stock bulb to start with? If so, I always thought that it really had great color for a stock bulb and my corals were always really happy.

I'm sure your corals are going to love the additional light....your tank is going to look A LOT different with the new lighting. Can't wait for some new pics with the new toy.

Congrats on the lighting upgrade Boris. You are going to LOVE the Sunpod. Are you going with the stock bulb to start with? If so, I always thought that it really had great color for a stock bulb and my corals were always really happy.

I'm sure your corals are going to love the additional light....your tank is going to look A LOT different with the new lighting. Can't wait for some new pics with the new toy.

Yea, I think I'll keep the stock light at first until I learn more about what alternatives are out there. I'm sure many aquarists will share my anticipation, lighting being such an important part of our hobby.

Hey Boris.

"Pistol shrimp click in a series of ones and twos... while Mantis shrimps do it in larger sets."

So, being the music man you are, maybe you can deduct what it is based on how it clicks.

Argh, tonight my tank sounds like a percussion concerto. Clicks in groups of ones, twos, threes and Fours. Also various permutations of those. Isn't keeping nanos exciting?!

nice tank! I really enjoyed reading it all.

BTW, percussion is the best part of music, despite how annoying it may seem to the un-trained ear ;)

Thanks! :) Agreed on the percussion. All music started as percussion...will my percussionist be a chill symbiont or a murderous mantis....time will tell ;)

new light are always fun, Hope you got a cool shrimp, not all mantis' are tan wreckers.

does anyone kn ow the plural? is it mantids like for a praying mantis?

Sounds like you don't even need to go to the concert hall to rehearse anymore Boris, just sit in your room and let whatever is making the noise take the lead :)

Are you getting the new light this week or next?

AdriftQuasar

Thanks for the comment on my tank! That clown has really grown since the tank started. You're going to love having MH.

Sounds like you don't even need to go to the concert hall to rehearse anymore Boris, just sit in your room and let whatever is making the noise take the lead :)

Are you getting the new light this week or next?

They shipped the lights the next morning UPS ground from AZ, so it's scheduled to arrive here on Monday, June 8th....kind of a long wait, but I'm sure it's worth it. I'll still try to make some pictures for the weekend frenzy ;)

Thanks for the comment on my tank! That clown has really grown since the tank started. You're going to love having MH.

It's my pleasure. :) Things have definitely filled out in your tank since I've been gone. It's looking great.

Boris! Did you join MR?

I'm loving the tank, man.

I just did! It's going to take me a little bit of time to get my bearings, but I'm sure we'll run into each other there. Any suggestions on what I should read, look at first?

new light are always fun, Hope you got a cool shrimp, not all mantis' are tan wreckers.

does anyone kn ow the plural? is it mantids like for a praying mantis?

I'll drink to this...probably tonight ;)

The tank looks fabulous. :)

I've got similar clicks and clacks coming from my tank. :scarry: Just going by the one or two vs several rule, I'd be freaking out, convinced I have a mantis, but I actually saw my mysterious percussionist, and while I haven't been able to make a specific id, I'm almost positive that what I saw was not a mantis.

~Anne

The tank looks fabulous. :)

I've got similar clicks and clacks coming from my tank. :scarry: Just going by the one or two vs several rule, I'd be freaking out, convinced I have a mantis, but I actually saw my mysterious percussionist, and while I haven't been able to make a specific id, I'm almost positive that what I saw was not a mantis.

~Anne

Thanks Anne, I've been drinking to that...like I mentioned before.

Wait till I snap some more photos this weekend... the clown is positively FAT. Just need to tidy up the tank a bit in preparation for some new arrivals. I just joined Manhattan Reefs and already found some cool deals on zoa frags. I'm working on Triple Reds, Water Melons, Purple Death, and a cool rock with Mean Greens and Dragon Eyes on it.... Also in the works are Armor of God and RPE...that's quite a load so... I'm getting ready!!!

Looking forward to new pics :)

Good luck with the deals you've got in the works through MR. Sounds like you'll have plenty to show off in the new photos. :D

Dust-up in Brooklyn

I had nothing better to do tonight than take pictures during WC/cleaning. It was a :happydance: musing...

Assembly

_DSC1459.jpg

Moved some corals about last night

_DSC1460.jpg

_DSC1461.jpg

_DSC1464.jpg

_DSC1468.jpg

Looking better already with more frequent feeding.

_DSC1470.jpg

_DSC1474.jpg

Clarkii got FAT

_DSC1477.jpg

_DSC1485.jpg

An FTS - the entire back wall is covered with coraline, so I removed the background....

_DSC1447.jpg

Tank is looking good Boris. Is it so cloudy because you just got done with a waterchange or were you moving things around?

I just made your RPE and AOG frags. We'll give them a couple of days to settle in and then I'll send them your way :)

Tank is looking good Boris. Is it so cloudy because you just got done with a waterchange or were you moving things around?

I just made your RPE and AOG frags. We'll give them a couple of days to settle in and then I'll send them your way :)

I did both...moved some corals around and did cleaning and WC. I had a bit of a cyano outbreak because I wasn't very regular with W/C, so I'm really keeping on top of maintenance since May and doing some additional WC. I just want to make sure that water parameters are optimal for new corals and lighting.

Thanks so much on the frags! :happydance:

Looking good Boris. I think I see some perfect spots up top for some SPS :) Do you want me to frag you a piece of Orange and possibly Green Cap to include with your AOGs and RPEs? Just shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

I can always frag a piece or two, let them start encrusting, and then send them your way. That way, you can get used to your new lighting and get your feet wet with SPS.

Looking good Boris. I think I see some perfect spots up top for some SPS :) Do you want me to frag you a piece of Orange and possibly Green Cap to include with your AOGs and RPEs? Just shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

I can always frag a piece or two, let them start encrusting, and then send them your way. That way, you can get used to your new lighting and get your feet wet with SPS.

You're absolutely right :) My scape is getting more and more rounded - time to add some peaks and spikes ;) I've been thinking about SPS for a while, but reticent to take on such a responsibility especially since my tank set-up is really basic (so far)

I mentioned before that there is a bit of a cyanobacteria outbreak in the tank and combined with your offer, that made me think really hard about finding out the causes....I did some testing today and here is where I stand:

Nitrates - Undetectable

Phosphates - Undetectable

PH - 8.3

dKH - 8.5

Ca+ - 420ppm

Seems quite suitable for SPS.. and the only other reason for cyano is low flow. Now, since I removed my "pumping station" the flow has been reduced quite a lot. There is an MJ 900 with a rotating wave maker (reduces flow quite a lot) and a hang on tank aquaclear 150 (not a lot of flow either).

Adding a sump with pumps is out of the question (space and noise) so my only alternative is to go with some sort of canister filer...or another hang on tank. I have the H.O.T magnum which I can use full time.... :huh:

Any suggestions? Would really appreciate people's input :)

New Pics and New additions.

DSC01508.jpg

New: Tripple Reds

DSC01510.jpg

Orange Centers

DSC01515.jpg

New: Water Melons

DSC01520.jpg

DSC01527.jpg

DSC01531.jpg

YCG-2.jpg

Some Worm Close Up

dusterwormweb.jpg

greencenters.jpg

polys.jpg

Xenia (the original colony disintegrated some time ago and left this baby)

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

Not this stuff. This is what I keep calling the feather like Algae. He makes short work of it too.

EmeraldEating2.jpg

I have something that looks similar to this. Do you think that is was/ is bryopsis?