Pod Your Reef

VERTIGO

Vertigo

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just because someone is a supporter doesn't mean they are a good seller/buyer. Just because someone isn't a supporter doesn't mean that they are a bad seller/buyer. I don't think that "supporter" badge really means anything about a persons morality or knowledge. Oh well.

Cliff, I was trying to give you more zany crap for your sig. :lol: :lol: :lol:

A support badge does give you an indicator of the person's dedication to the hobby and reliance on the website. Those who pay to support the site are generally a dedicated group who depend on the site for information, friendship, and sales. It also indicates a willingness to give back to the community that you frequent.

That doesn't mean that problems won't occur with people who support the site, but it does give some confidence in their attempt to remedy the situation.

Just because someone is a supporter doesn't mean they are a good seller/buyer. Just because someone isn't a supporter doesn't mean that they are a bad seller/buyer. I don't think that "supporter" badge really means anything about a persons morality or knowledge. Oh well.

Cliff, I was trying to give you more zany crap for your sig. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But being a supporter they have a "vested" interest and may not be as quick to change accounts.

I had actually thought of doing something like a thread with a list of all the GOOD sellers on NR. In order to add someone to the list, you have to have actually personally bought from them and had a good transaction.

There are some pro's and con's to this of course.

PRO'S:

-There would be an accessible list of good peeps for all newbs to check before buying.

-It's a solution to the recent rash of bad transaction that emphasizes the positive rather than the negative.

-It would require at least one positive transaction before someone could be added to the list.

-It would allow people to go to one place rather than having to search all feedback.

CON'S

-There could be some sellers for whom there are both positive and negative transactions. Perhaps if someone reports a negative transaction for someone on the list, they are removed?

-Might possibly be too open to favoritism and grudge attacks.

-Might be breaking a rule, I dunno.

Thoughts, anyone?

Mods and CM especially?

^^ Great stuff, apparently we have each other's backs as well. I would be surprised if a premium member let a transaction end badly, to be quite honest.

wow that's an uber-l33t sig there weety!

my thoughts:

although i applaud the intent, i think it may be redundant. after all, that's what the vendor and trader feedback forum is for. unfortunately not many people check here before buying from members online, but unfortunately the nature of life, not just the internet, is caveat emptor.

i also think any thread would get unreadable after 10-20 pages, and the hijacks or (or "+1"s, etc. ) would render it all but useless. for this reason i think individual threads for sellers is more useful to users browsing sellers.

i also think it would cause buyers to browse sellers rather than products, which i think is a form of advertising for those who do more than typical volume, which is generally frowned upon here on NR.

personally i think that people shopping classifieds should simply search for a sellers name in the feedback forum and make up their own mind about who is "good" or "bad". i'm hesitant about putting and "official good" seller stamp on anyone, or conversely and "official bad" label as well.

^^ Great stuff, apparently we have each other's backs as well. I would be surprised if a premium member let a transaction end badly, to be quite honest.

Well, that's kinda what this whole thing is about, y'know?

At least for me it is.

For me, NR is more than just an interesting, informative site about reefkeeping, it's also a community and one that I value.

Of course, this is just one person's perspective here,

BUT...

while it is certainly true that I have grown in my knowledge and experience as a reefkeeper as a result of the interaction here

it is also true that I have experienced an amazing sense of community here that you just don't expect to find on a website.

There are people here who PM me just to make sure I'm doing okay,

people who have given me things with no request or expectation of anything in return,

people who have prayed and laughed and cried with me,

and people that I have done the same for in return.

This is why I am making such an effort to right this particular wrong.

When I found out what Vertigo had done, I felt sick to my stomach, and that was even before I found out what he had done to ME in this situation.

Here was a person that I had personally vouched for and supported, and he was defrauding more than one member of a community that I greatly valued.

I am SO not okay with that, and while I can't fix every bad transaction here, it is in my power to do something about this one.

I also really dislike the recent rash of people who, whether intentionally or not, are embarking on bad transactions with others here. It's just not cool, that's not what we're about here, and if there's a way to do something positive about that, I'd like to.

Ok, end of speech, I'm getting off my soapbox now, carry on.

wow that's an uber-l33t sig there weety!

Um, is that a good thing or a bad thing?I know it sorta got huge overnight, but Ben314z contributed the cereal motif to the sig last night and I totally loved it, but I love the other part too and just couldn't bring myself to let it go!

there are too many vendor pages on the first page of the feedback forum. Please tidy up into a single forum such as "sponsor feedback" or the likes

QFT

Clifford, nice edit to the quote. I have done many transactions on many forums. None of which I was a "supporter." I like the fact that it keeps the site running and I thank those of you that are supporters. I know that the $24 isn't really a lot of money, especially in this hobby. But, when it comes down to buying something new for my tank or paypaling over the cash to N-R, uber frags, RC or whatever other site, I am going to spend the money on the tank.

I am lucky enough where I live that I really don't have to get anything shipped to me livestock wise. We have a few great stores for fish and I will occasionally buy a coral from them. But the best part about being here is the other reefers with pretty much every coral that I could want. Most of them are willing to frag and sell for a very reasonable price. I do sometimes see stuff online that I say, "d@mn, I gotta have that pink polyped Monti Cap!" Then I post a pic of it on my local forum and someone usually has a frag that they are willing to part with. That is the great part of networking weather it be online or over the phone.

It all just makes things easier, "Grow it, Frag it, and Spread it." That is my feelings on propigation and sharing the corals around the community.

Does that make me a good or a bad seller/buyer?

Christopher Marks

I agree with MrAnderson. What I could do however is add a reminder for people to search for feedback on sellers/traders to the classifieds rules now posted at the top of the forums.

supernip also makes a good point, and I've cleared up the vendor/trader feedback forum for better usability.

All in all, very few people change their usernames. I can only recall one time where a name change happened during a trade dispute (my fault).

^^lol

Kigs isn't a threat to general NR society though--that one didnt matter so much. Especially with the "Kigs is Oldboy" thread.....

Really--I think I have a fairly accurate list of deadbeats in my mind at all times.

In an effort to catch all of "them", I may have to hassle some well meaning people by accident. I hope you will all understand. :)

I heard some amish guy admitted to knocking up a mods mom and then left the site.

Talk about some controversy there. Maybe he changed his s/n too? Or assumed a new identity? :o

Hmmmm.

Bill

I also heard that said mod backed out on a previous commitment to disappear completely from the site at a set number of posts. Does that qualify for this thread of dealbreakers?

Could there be some link in the mysterious vanishing of an amish man and a reef forum moderator?

That last sentence should be read with the voice of the America's Most Wanted guy in your head.

Bill

All in all, very few people change their usernames. I can only recall one time where a name change happened during a trade dispute (my fault).

^^lol

Kigs isn't a threat to general NR society though--that one didnt matter so much. Especially with the "Kigs is Oldboy" thread.....

zomg, can my name please stop being mentioned in reef drama? :lol: CM, if I was aware that a dispute thread was going to be started on me, I never ever would have asked you to change my username. It's more of my fault, than yours. In fact, if possible, I rather have my old name "kigs" back so people do not get the wrong impression but that's completely upto you. Either way, it's fine with me.

And yes, M is correct. I enjoy surfing NR and hopefully I will be able to continue being part of it.

Oldboy/Kigs, maybe you should consider becoming a supporter?

Not that I'm against it, but why? We should do it together. Wanna be my I-support-NR buddy? :wub:

The higher-ups should be able to compare IPs.

In this day & age of heavy dynamic IP usage, it's not 100% guarantee, but if the IPs are the same, it's very good odds that it's the same person.

Archived