ReefCleaners.org

Free Digital TDS Meter!

Mitch529

hmm mine seems to be working fine...it measured my ro/ di unit at 0.09 kind of high and my local tap water at 119?? Kind of low for tapwater :)

haha new jersey water? 119? i agree, its kinda low. im in ct my water is 101.

has anyone checked their tds in their aquariums yet? i feel like we're just checking the water going into our tanks.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
haha new jersey water? 119? i agree, its kinda low. im in ct my water is 101.

has anyone checked their tds in their aquariums yet? i feel like we're just checking the water going into our tanks.

Our tank water should be 35ppT ;) Most consumer TDS meters only read up to 9999ppM

i feel like we're just checking the water going into our tanks.
That's all I care about.
Our tank water should be 35ppT ;) Most consumer TDS meters only read up to 9999ppM
+1

Has anyone tested this against another brand of TDS meter to see getting the same PPM results? Mine has been consistent with retesting, but have nothing to compare it to.

Has anyone tested this against another brand of TDS meter to see getting the same PPM results? Mine has been consistent with retesting, but have nothing to compare it to.

Post #127 on Page #7. ;)

i got mine too. the batteries that were already in the meter were dead, thankfully it comes with spare

tested my salt water tank and it reads 999+ blinking...i guess its suppose to do that in a salt water tank?

RO water is 8

tap is 246ppm, slightly higher for my fresh water tank (i only use tap water for them.

PUR filter water was 211ppm, better than nothing i guess

edit: just realized not suppose to be used in salt water. at least i know how clean my RO water is (well...ball park, at least my free 1gb flash drive was useful)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mitch, my email box is filled with spam from buy.com now, and the meter sucks I have not gotten 2 of the same readings from the same water. j/k Thanks for the look out anyways.

whats a TDS meter used for?

Just a quick google SEARCH -

TDS Meter - Tester. The Only Way To Know If Your Reverse Osmosis RO Membrane Is Performing Correctly - Tests for TDS - Total Dissolved Solids. A Must For All RO System Owners. Compare Incoming Feed Water To Treated Water - Replace Membrane If Less Than 80% of TDS Is Being Removed - Total dissolved solids (TDS) are the total weight of all solids (minerals, salts or metals) that are dissolved in a given volume of water expressed in milligrams per liter (mg/L), or in parts per million (PPM). The lower the TDS level in the water, the more efficiently your body's cells actually get hydrated by the water that you drink. The higher the TDS levels in the water, the greater the probability of harmful contaminants that can pose health risks or hinder the absorption of water molecules on the cellular level. 17 PPM of TDS = 1 grain of hardness.

HeyLookItsCaps

well i did SEARCH google actually. but i was wondering if us SW people used it on saltwater in the tank. sorry shouldve been clearer

You use it test your RO water to make sure the membrane is still performing well. It will tell you when there is alot of crap not being filtered by your RO unit, and when to change the membrane.

ah, ok i wont need one then. thanks tho

Do you mix your own salt? Always a good idea to have a TDS meter to be sure the water you're using to begin with is 0TDS(or close).

any one live in NYC ? i got around 36ppm for my tap water, (almost same as my polandspring) and my RODI is 5 ppm (didnt change the filter for a year) i dont have any to compare with.

if its not off alot, then 36 ppm from tap water is nice :D

any one live in NYC ? i got around 36ppm for my tap water, (almost same as my polandspring) and my RODI is 5 ppm (didnt change the filter for a year) i dont have any to compare with.

Seems a little low for the tap and the Poland Spring. Did you let the water reach room temp.? Taking measurements with cold water will give you a lower reading. I tested cold Poland Spring from my office cooler and was about 68ppm then I let the water warm up and it was like 300ppm.

any chance this is still going on? I tried looking online for it the other day but I couldn't find anything

Don't bother :P

Seems many recent posts have confirmed my earlier warning about this product.

HeyLookItsCaps
Do you mix your own salt? Always a good idea to have a TDS meter to be sure the water you're using to begin with is 0TDS(or close).

my neighbor works for the water district, and he set me up a 750 gph commercial R/O unit. and he maintains it for me in exchange for free beer from my work. apparently its like 900 retail

The Propagator
my neighbor works for the water district, and he set me up a 750 gph commercial R/O unit. and he maintains it for me in exchange for free beer from my work. apparently its like 900 retail

YOU SUCK !!!!

:P

Nice!
All this trouble to save $15-20 (the current ebay price after shipping for a halfway decent tds meter) and get a free crappy tds meter? :lol:http://stores.ebay.com/eSeasonGear_HM-Digi...4QQftidZ2QQtZkm$16 or $19. I have the $19 one and like it. Free shipping.
Emphasis added for effect. :D

36 from tap water for drinking is great. providing the instrument for testing is functioning and calibrated correctly. however 36 would be much to high to use as h20 for salt mixes. ideally a ppm of 2 or less is considered the number to be ideal. i wish my tap water was 36. michigan waters are considered some of the best in the country and depending on the location within the state numbers generally fall around the 100 - 150ppm for city water. which is considered excellent.

Archived