Pod Your Reef

Free Digital TDS Meter!

Mitch529

i knew it wasnt right :) and thanks for reasuring me

never done a water change in this tank before. its been set up for over 1 1/2 year, just clean the filter every once in a while and the water is very clear all fish are healthy and never had any disease :D very happy with the outcome of the FW tank

You've never done a WC? Any idea what your nitrates are?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

never ever done a water change, not once. i dont have a nitrate test but i can check amonia and nitrie if you would like and i will take some water to LFS so they can do some tests. ive never vacumed the gravel either. like i said all fish are fine, no disease or sickness, and some ive had since i started this tank. i also have a number of live plants including amazon sword and some grass like plant that is spreading out fairly quickly. i know it might sound unrealistic to some but what i say is true. the only thing i do is clean out the canister filter, replace the pads and put in new carbon and that happens about every 1.5 months

ill take some tests tonight after my class and ill post them for you...

got mine today...

tested it and it was kinda funny..

tap water - 20ppm

filtered water from tap - 13ppm

55g fresh water tank - 50ppm

29g salt water tank.... 999+ppm!!

ok what the heck is up with that!? lol thats crazy i think its off.. or should i not test salt water??? how is this supposed to work?

tested again...

tap water - 25ppm

filtered water from tap - 12ppm

55g FW tank - 43ppm

29g SW tank - 999+ppm

also from Oregon but down south from you about 70miles :)

FYI, ocean water is around 35ppT, not ppM ;) That's parts per TRILLION, not MILLION like the meter tests out for. ;)

FYI, ocean water is around 35ppT, not ppM That's parts per TRILLION, not MILLION like the meter tests out for.

i knew the ppm was MILLION just didnt know you werent supposed to test the water but i wanted to see what it read lol

i knew the ppm was MILLION just didnt know you werent supposed to test the water but i wanted to see what it read lol

lol, just be careful, my TDS meter warns not to test anything over like 10,000ppm which could damage the unit. If you test something like SW, you ALWAYS want to check the calibration on the meter after wards...

just be careful, my TDS meter warns not to test anything over like 10,000ppm which could damage the unit
lol oops

if its messed up at least it was free :D

i find little use for anyways with such bad rep about it from a few ppl on this thread

lol oops

if its messed up at least it was free :D

i find little use for anyways with such bad rep about it from a few ppl on this thread

If nobody offers to buy mine soon, I'm going to think of some awesome way to destroy it and post pictures. Any ideas? :D

Blowtorch comes to mind. :D

I just got a my first Airsoft gun, a Baretta pistol. Anyways I need a good target to shoot at with it, it could come in handy. After I'm done, Ebay it! :P

Blowtorch comes to mind. :D

I just got a my first Airsoft gun, a Baretta pistol. Anyways I need a good target to shoot at with it, it could come in handy. After I'm done, Ebay it! :P

I think I'll bring it to the next MNS or BBQ and we can destroy it there. :lol:

dnttouchdownther

I got mine today and at first it was a total crap. I would get ERR all the time, and readings were always different. Then I saw that it came with extra batteries so I changed the batteries and WOW. First the lcd light was way brighter so I'm assuming the original battery was gone, and I wasn't getting the ERR message. Then I also got same readings almost everytime, well almost, off by a point or two.

Tap: 389 ppm :o

Brita Water: 325 ppm (Time to replace the filters lol)

Bottled Water: 35 ppm

Safeway Vending Machine: 28 ppm

I don't know how accurate this test is but I'm pretty satisfied with it for being free.

Got mine today.

Tap=190 (normal)

Filtered refrigerator water=165 (should be lower, new filter last week)

Ro/di=70 (filters 2 months old)...a little high.

I hope the TDS meter is wrong, otherwise my new ro/di unit is a piece of crap.

I can't complain though... it was free.

i told you i would do some tests on my 55g FW tank after my class well here they are...

amonia - 0

nitrite - 0

pH - 7.0

TDS - 50ppm ??

temp -76*-78*

fish - 2 Blue Gouramis, 1 Gold Gourami, 1 Pink Glo-Fish, 6-7 Zebra Danios, 5-6 Neon Tetras, 5-6 other Tetras, 8-9 small Guppies, 5 Black Skirt Tetras, 5 Rosy Barbs, and a 7in pleco

plants - 3 small Amazon Swords, 1 large Amazon sword, 1 dark green plant, with round petals and from the roots came up 3 smaller plants, and some grass like plant that has started to spread.

like i said no water changes, no disease, had those Gouramis since day 1 and bred them a couple times(the blue ones), only top off the water about once a year because of little evap. when i get my good camera i will take a pic for you as well :)

Got mine today.

Tap=190 (normal)

Filtered refrigerator water=165 (should be lower, new filter last week)

Ro/di=70 (filters 2 months old)...a little high.

I hope the TDS meter is wrong, otherwise my new ro/di unit is a piece of crap.

I can't complain though... it was free.

Lol....I was trying to kill the bug on my screen. I like your avatar!

i told you i would do some tests on my 55g FW tank after my class well here they are...

amonia - 0

nitrite - 0

pH - 7.0

TDS - 50ppm ??

temp -76*-78*

fish - 2 Blue Gouramis, 1 Gold Gourami, 1 Pink Glo-Fish, 6-7 Zebra Danios, 5-6 Neon Tetras, 5-6 other Tetras, 8-9 small Guppies, 5 Black Skirt Tetras, 5 Rosy Barbs, and a 7in pleco

plants - 3 small Amazon Swords, 1 large Amazon sword, 1 dark green plant, with round petals and from the roots came up 3 smaller plants, and some grass like plant that has started to spread.

like i said no water changes, no disease, had those Gouramis since day 1 and bred them a couple times(the blue ones), only top off the water about once a year because of little evap. when i get my good camera i will take a pic for you as well :)

Ah, didn't realize you had plants. Makes a difference.

Ah, didn't realize you had plants. Makes a difference.
yep got some plants. never understood the plastic plants, i think some plastic plants cost more than the real ones lol and they dont help, only with algae building up on them.

but yeah the tank just runs by itself pretty much... now to get my SW tank to do the same! :haha:

I got mine today and at first it was a total crap. I would get ERR all the time, and readings were always different. Then I saw that it came with extra batteries so I changed the batteries and WOW. First the lcd light was way brighter so I'm assuming the original battery was gone, and I wasn't getting the ERR message. Then I also got same readings almost everytime, well almost, off by a point or two.

Tap: 389 ppm :o

Brita Water: 325 ppm (Time to replace the filters lol)

Bottled Water: 35 ppm

Safeway Vending Machine: 28 ppm

I don't know how accurate this test is but I'm pretty satisfied with it for being free.

I used to have a PUR faucet filter (similar to the Brita) and according to 2 different TDS meters I have, it said that the tap water was 220 TDS and the filtered water from the PUR device was also 220. :) Thanks PUR, money well spent! :rolleyes: My parents have a $300+ Everpure brand water filter system (single cartridge) and it only reduces their tap water by 20 TDS. I feel good that my $125 WaterGeneral 6-stage ROD/DI system still filters out to 0 TDS even after 6 months of use. :) I've learned that unless it's an RO or RO/DI filter system, then it's just a gimic and waste of money.

I finally got mine today. Didn't work until I changed the batteries though. It consistantly says that my water is at 7. I guess I could use that as a baseline. I know my water is at 0 since I just changed out the prefilters and DI resin. I will check it again after it has made a couple more gallons. The 7 TDS could possibly be coming from soap residue on the glass I was using though. I really can't complain for the low price of FREE.

Ditto. The cancelations seem to be random. People in my club who ordered after me did not have their orders canceled, but mine was.

I ordered kinda late (sometime last week), still got it on tues. Kinda a pos, granted, I didnt have a different TDS meter to compare against. Tap at where I spent turkey day: 645, fridge there: 475

It seems to read a bit high based on reefers in the neighborhood's reading of their tap TDS (~480's)

hmm mine seems to be working fine...it measured my ro/ di unit at 0.09 kind of high and my local tap water at 119?? Kind of low for tapwater :)

Archived