ReefCleaners.org

Dopamine's 14g Biocube

dopamine

I saw that one. but didnt you say the ushio is better?

can we talk about the 150w? How much brighter are talking here? how does this change viewing as well as care for tank inhabitants?

I would like to have a bigger tank at some point, nothing crazy but would either of these support a 24-55g? If the 150 could but the 70 couldn't, then for $20 more I think the 150 would be smart, unless it has a strong downside for the 14g right now...you follow? I need to weigh these out.

what do you guys think? I am really leaning to make a decision soon. I am hooked. FYI, the 14g is 15" wide and looking sexy clear right now.

edit:before I forget, does the wattage of the unit have anything to do with the yellowish or blueness or is all in the bulb? reviews on premiumaquatics say the 150w was more yellow than the 250w.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sweet, I will keep looking for used. I should be ok with heat, Im in Indiana and have AC.

are those screen annoying? are you eventually going to wheen them out?

Yeah, The screens block off alot of light in the beginning, buts its all worth it in the end. You take off (like weetie says) every 3 days or so to acclimate your corals to the new lighting. I'm on screen number 4, not 3 sorry. I originated with 5.

ok, so that would be the only down fall of getting the 150w?

do you think I could use the biocube hood on my 5 gallon with 2 gallon fuge attached? and then use the dual 18 and dual 9w for on the on a 10 gallon as a sump?

HELP!

I want this soo bad that I am about to go buy it at lunch! what should I do?!?!?

70w or 150w sunpod?

Is the 150 going to look too bright? can anyone answer the question about if the 70w will work on a 24-55g?

I saw that one. but didnt you say the ushio is better?

can we talk about the 150w? How much brighter are talking here? how does this change viewing as well as care for tank inhabitants?

I would like to have a bigger tank at some point, nothing crazy but would either of these support a 24-55g? If the 150 could but the 70 couldn't, then for $20 more I think the 150 would be smart, unless it has a strong downside for the 14g right now...you follow? I need to weigh these out.

what do you guys think? I am really leaning to make a decision soon. I am hooked. FYI, the 14g is 15" wide and looking sexy clear right now.

edit:before I forget, does the wattage of the unit have anything to do with the yellowish or blueness or is all in the bulb? reviews on premiumaquatics say the 150w was more yellow than the 250w.

Get the 150w, a 70w won't be enough for a bigger tank.

Wattage doesn't affect color of light, color temp does

10k=yellowish

14k=white, sometimes w/a blue tint depending on bulb brand

20k=blue or bluish purple

I would just get the Sunpod today and we'll help you figure out bulbs later. You can use the bulb it comes with for the time being.

sweet! thanks weet, you have been such a help!

so no downsides of using the 150w? will I eventually be able to go topless on the 14g?

what is the difference in look between the 70 and 150?

150 is twice as bright, open-top would probably be better, you will probably have to top-off more and keep a closer eye on evaporation.

You will definitely have to screen acclimate, as explained earlier or your corals will go into shock.

Once acclimated, you will see better growth rates and better colors on your corals, and you will be able to keep more demanding corals including sps.

As far as sps goes, I would definitely start out with Monti's and wouldn't keep anything more demanding than them without a skimmer.

Your sig keeps catching my eye, do you work for Nike or something? Can you hook me up with cool Nike's?

haha...I dont work for nike, I wish cause that is all I wear. They are just Steve Prefontaines new running shoe that I love.

ok, will that double the brightness look weird in the 14 gallon?

I wouldn't use the 150w on a 14g bc, since you'll have major heat issues come summer, it will hang off of the sides of the tank and you don't need 150w for such a small tank. Also if you're worried about upgrading in the future you can easily trade the 70w for a 150w.

shoot, too late!!

Josh at premium aquatics was selling his used set that is in prefect condition. I am really trying to look into future of a larger tank or multiple tanks.

sooo I bought (2) PFO 175w pendants and ballasts: $300.00 Lot

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...egory_Code=PFOp

1 has a 10,000k ushio bulb and the other one is a 10,000k astralux.

This was I am ready to go if I go with a 55g. That 20" would have hung over the sides and not have enough stretch for a 55g. I am pretty pumped, I think I got a good deal.

soo....how high should I put these above the tank and definately get screens? just regular ole' window screens?

GOOD NEWS / BAD NEWS!

GOOD NEWS: MH LOOKS PHUCKING AMAZING!! This is insane! I cant wait to get the right light bulb. I cant believe the difference, I mean this going to be soo sweet...next project, building the acrylic sump/building new hood and gutting the biocube light for the office tank/ using office tank lights for sump. What do you think about 15K 175watt Metal Halide Bulb - Iwasaki ?

NOTE: This is a measured true 15K lamp. Many of the other brand 15k's are much more blue. For a human visual, i would consider this bulb a 10K. It's mostly a warm white in color. Where most of our other 15K's have a strong blue tint. It's an excellent lamp, but if you want something really blue, you should look at some of the other brands.

Mogul Base Metal Halide Bulb

15K Kelvin Color Temperature

Crisp White/Blue

Made in Japan (Iwasaki brand)

MT175AQUA2/H0R-E39/41R

Iwasaki has been making quality 6500K lamps for many years. They are know for outstanding quality control and dependability. Now they have came out with a new 15K 175watt lamp. We are getting reports that this bulb puts out more light then a comparable 250watt lamp. Limited supply!!!

BAD NEWS: The dominant harlequin is missing its left claw!! GRRR...this is the same thing that happened to my porcelain that ended up dying shortly after. What the hell?! I see 3 blue legged hermits eating the claw in the corner. What is going on here!?! could the hermits do this? I dont see a molt anywhere...It is still sitting on the starfish so it isnt just dying in the back.

Hey man,

One of my harlequin's lost both of its pinchers and they grew back in about 2 weeks. Yours should be fine. See you at the swap!

• 3 weeks later...

sucks bro, It ended up dying. The other one is still going good. Sorry I couldnt make it to the swap. I am going to be hitting you up for SPS help soon.

GOT THE 20000k USHIO 175w SE BULB IN TODAY!!! I LOVE IT!! not too blue at all! everything looks so high def and amazing!

so glad I didnt go with the 14k.

edit: sorry about no pics...I just dont have a camera that is even worth trying to catch the magnificence of this bulb.

here are some pics of how I hung my MH. I still need to paint it and again, sorry about the pic quality. This thread needs better camera.

Next step...get rid of this ugly Biocube. I really want to build a tall acrylic tank and put the BC in the stand below it...just dont know how to rig up the pump system for the fuge and/or sump.

Talking to you scottdl99, I will probably call to ask you some questions, I talked to josh on saturday and he recommended I ask you about the details.

higherqo0.jpg

highpi0.jpg

closeby2.jpg

Scottdl99
here are some pics of how I hung my MH. I still need to paint it and again, sorry about the pic quality. This thread needs better camera.

Next step...get rid of this ugly Biocube. I really want to build a tall acrylic tank and put the BC in the stand below it...just dont know how to rig up the pump system for the fuge and/or sump.

Talking to you scottdl99, I will probably call to ask you some questions, I talked to josh on saturday and he recommended I ask you about the details.

Looking good, great idea on mounting that light!

Give me a call whenever

thanks bro. Also, tell josh, the thing I forgot on saturday was the moonlight LED for the pendant. I couldnt remember for the life of me.

while you are on here...do you think drilling the bottom of the acrylic tank ans running pumps up from the biocube is pretty involved? expensive?

• 3 weeks later...

ok. 7.5 months of the most amazing hobby of times. no pics yet, I need to borrow a camera because I cant stand to show you guys another crappy cell phone picture.

Everything has taken well to the new lighting, cept the temps, Looks like a chiller and ATO are going to be my next 2 purchases. Also, considering a sump.

Only softies: GSP, frogspawn, toadstool, bright green bali torch, zoanthids, ricordia florida, and the infamous dumpster mushrooms (rainbow rhodactis)

Temp: 81

premium%20refractometrer%20-300.jpg

Salinity: 1.026

API Saltwater Master Test Kit

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

PH: 8.5

Salifert Ultra Calcium Test kit

Calcium: 350*

LaMotte Alkalinity Test Kit

Alkalinity: 7.28

I own but not dosing anything regularly: Kent AB, Kent liquid calcium, Tech-I iodine.

*What should I do to get that calcium up? (I use premixed water)

p.s.- Fosi, if you are reading this, I appreciate your help, your inbox was full! The readings for my other tank were coming out to 7dkh on the alk. And my confusing question was in reference to the calcium and alk moving dependently of each other.

bump for the calcium...I forgot to test the premixed water for calcium, I will do that tonight.

also, I still owe weetabix pics of her zoanthids.

• 2 weeks later...

Alk: 6.72

calcium: 370

PH: 8.2

Phos: 0

Nitrate: 0

what the hell is with the alk and calcium? I havent dosed anything and just confused on why it would drop, I just did a water change last night. Should I start dosing Kent AB? should I get a MG test kit?

edit: do I have to put silly pictures in here to get some feedback?

sexmakesbabiesdh9.jpg

ps, everything looks great, just trying to start paying more attention to thest test results for when I take a shot at sps in the future.

picked up the mogul mount PFO led moonlight...thing is real sharp looking, really happy with it.

I also have started to dose Kent Marine A/B....I dont know what else to do to get my calcium up besides that or Kalk, so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I like your tank, it is very nice, especially with the mounted light. I am starting a AP 24 on Tuesday as I got a great deal on it for only $100! (used) You have some good aquascaping in your tank. I can't give any input on all this technical junk, but I won't be dosing my nano tank. I think that it is better to keep nano tanks clean and simple.

PS. Could you kindly remove the distracting picture of the cat? I would appreciate it. Again, well done with your tank.

ok, the QT tank didn't last as long as I thought, as SDTs knows!

here is a garbage cell phone pic as a teaser of the tail spot with Weetabixs Angel food zoanthids. I came home and snuck up on the tank. The blenny was out swimming around with the two clowns. Both of the clowns slept with the blenny last night too...kinda weird. no aggression, just swimming next to and interested in the blenny.

WEET, the blenny has found a new home thanks to you!

tailspotblennysr8.jpg

I am borrowing a good camera tomorrow night and will try to figure out how to use it and snap some better shots.

If you have corals that use calcium it will cause it to drop. Also, some salt is lower to begin with. I have had to start dosing. I am using Tropic Marin Calcium as well as their Magnesium. They have other trace elements that are depleted in older tanks. It has helped my system.

Archived